Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

If I have to explain myself...

2. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hopefully this will help to cool the spirits off a bit...
    Greetings from Italy fellow shoe lovers!
    I haven't had the chance to wear many closed shoes in the last 2 months, but man if I don't mind it!

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Great collection and words of wisdom that everyone should listen to. I'm pretty happy with a core rotation of 10-11 shoes. I have a pair or two that need to be replaced in a one-in, one-out manner due to fit issues (replace C&J black captoe with Carmina and replace brown Delrays with suede strand) and may find room someday for a casual boot like the Bayfield or Long Branch, but I focused on covering my basics and shoes that would get significant wear due to versatility and am pretty content with the status quo

4. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

AE BB MacNeil seconds. - Problem with the heel.

Recently got my Allen Edmonds Brooks Brothers MacNeils, in Chili grain, and they look great.
    Also picked up BB Sheltons which are flawless.

Anyway, the MacNeils have some slight flaws to the finish, but nothing that would be noticed by the casual observer.
    There is however a problem with the heel of the right shoe. Basically, the left front edge of the heel touches the ground before any other part. The heel seems mis-alligned with the sole, if that makes sense. Hard to describe this, but I do feel pressure on my instep in this shoe. I've worn them about 2 or 3 times, and other than this, they are a very comfortable shoe.

[​IMG]

Since I am in England, and got these shoes delivered to my sister-in-law who lives in the US, who then brought them over to me, I can't return them.
    Is it an easy fix for a competent cobbler to do?
    I guess a "quick fix" would be to file the heel down at the left front edge, but will that work?
    The problem would only return next time new heels are put on.
    Does the heel need to be totally rebuilt?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

5. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

That is a splendid collection of shoes. I'm jealous of the loafers and pumps -- wish I could find some that fit properly (I'm in eveningwear at least a dozen times a year). Throw in a #8 gunboat and a commando-soled boot and you'd be set for literally anything :happy:

6. Busa

Busa Senior member

Does anyone make a habit of buying the Combination Tap soles, and if so how does it wear? Is it thin and when it wears you have to replace it, or does it just wear down then you're left with leather?

I am working and living now in the Middle East/North Africa, and all floors here are essentially stone or marble, so leather is quite slick actually. So I am considering an alternative...

Thanks for any input!

7. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I have a couple and they seem to be holding up well. I make it a point to wear them when the weather is poor, i.e. rain, sleet, slick conditions. I have not needed to send any in for re crafting, but I assume it would be easily accomplished, simply removing and replacing the old rubber sole and heel.

8. chinngiskhaan

chinngiskhaan Senior member

relax dude... you missed the joke, no big deal. You thought I was being serious and I wasn't. No need to get all defensive about it sir. This conversation ended long ago.

9. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Game Day

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I have to work. Shoes aren't AE, but the laces are! Unfortunately, AE doesn't make a simple suede buck.

10. chinngiskhaan

thanks for backing me up on this... to that guy that keeps bringing this up WAAAAAAAAAY after it ceased being a topic of conversation on this thread: I'm sorry for offending you by insulting a pair of shoes even though what I was actually doing is paying them a complement in a tongue in cheek sort of way... you see, the idea behind the sarcasm was to get them to lower the price because in truth I really do like them a lot (even though I didn't really expect them to lower the price... Understand? So, I'm sorry for liking the look of a pair of shoes, and expressing my affinity for said shoes in a sarcastic, tongue in cheek manner.

11. chinngiskhaan

From the looks of things, It just seems that the heel is thinner on the inside of the shoe than the outside. I would expect a simple replacement of the heel to suffice... but I'm no shoe expert.

12. chinngiskhaan

Those fifth streets are my next buy. Very balanced collection! [​IMG]

13. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Wear them about 10-15 more times and you won't know the difference. Enjoy them, also.

14. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I own 5 and 1 last shoes. How would I size for the 7 last (MacNeil)? Thanks!

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thank you New Shoes1, and as usual you are correct and spot on...
    I really like your reasoning and logic [​IMG] And agree!
    Thank you good sir! And I hope those Lexington's are perfect for you and think they will. I'm glad to help in any small way that I can. Each shell shoe or boot and even calf is a financial expenditure that could be spent someplace else and only if it works into my rotation and fits well is it worth it to me, so I understand totally. I can't wait to see pictures when you get them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.