• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

guasc1

Reaction score

Hopefully this will help to cool the spirits off a bit...
Greetings from Italy fellow shoe lovers!
I haven't had the chance to wear many closed shoes in the last 2 months, but man if I don't mind it!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An update with the whole family. Ive pared down my collection quite a bit. I've lost a lot of money the past few years chasing these AE sales and at the end of the day its all about fit for me. As someone with a weird shaped foot, no matter how beautiful the shoes or how great the deal, eventually your feet will tell you the truth after a few wears. Here's to me learning from my lesson, and a few lucky people out there with size 9d feet who will benefit from my loss haha!

y5ygaryg.jpg

Great collection and words of wisdom that everyone should listen to. I'm pretty happy with a core rotation of 10-11 shoes. I have a pair or two that need to be replaced in a one-in, one-out manner due to fit issues (replace C&J black captoe with Carmina and replace brown Delrays with suede strand) and may find room someday for a casual boot like the Bayfield or Long Branch, but I focused on covering my basics and shoes that would get significant wear due to versatility and am pretty content with the status quo

Odradek

Reaction score
AE BB MacNeil seconds. - Problem with the heel.

Recently got my Allen Edmonds Brooks Brothers MacNeils, in Chili grain, and they look great.
Also picked up BB Sheltons which are flawless.

Anyway, the MacNeils have some slight flaws to the finish, but nothing that would be noticed by the casual observer.
There is however a problem with the heel of the right shoe. Basically, the left front edge of the heel touches the ground before any other part. The heel seems mis-alligned with the sole, if that makes sense. Hard to describe this, but I do feel pressure on my instep in this shoe. I've worn them about 2 or 3 times, and other than this, they are a very comfortable shoe.

Since I am in England, and got these shoes delivered to my sister-in-law who lives in the US, who then brought them over to me, I can't return them.
Is it an easy fix for a competent cobbler to do?
I guess a "quick fix" would be to file the heel down at the left front edge, but will that work?
The problem would only return next time new heels are put on.
Does the heel need to be totally rebuilt?

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I culled my AEs recently but these made the cut:
loafers in #8 shell Opera pumps Wingtips in #8 cordovan that I intentionally exposed to a lot of sun to lighten them up a tad. Same wingtips in black cordovan Black cap-toes
That is a splendid collection of shoes. I'm jealous of the loafers and pumps -- wish I could find some that fit properly (I'm in eveningwear at least a dozen times a year). Throw in a #8 gunboat and a commando-soled boot and you'd be set for literally anything :happy:

Busa

Reaction score
Does anyone make a habit of buying the Combination Tap soles, and if so how does it wear? Is it thin and when it wears you have to replace it, or does it just wear down then you're left with leather?

I am working and living now in the Middle East/North Africa, and all floors here are essentially stone or marble, so leather is quite slick actually. So I am considering an alternative...

Thanks for any input!

Olifter

Reaction score

Does anyone make a habit of buying the Combination Tap soles, and if so how does it wear? Is it thin and when it wears you have to replace it, or does it just wear down then you're left with leather?

I am working and living now in the Middle East/North Africa, and all floors here are essentially stone or marble, so leather is quite slick actually. So I am considering an alternative...

Thanks for any input!

I have a couple and they seem to be holding up well. I make it a point to wear them when the weather is poor, i.e. rain, sleet, slick conditions. I have not needed to send any in for re crafting, but I assume it would be easily accomplished, simply removing and replacing the old rubber sole and heel.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Sarcasm, or tongue in cheek, or whatever you want to call it, calling the shoes "complete garbage" is still incredibly rude and classless. Perhaps, you can get someone to fill you in on decency and manners.

relax dude... you missed the joke, no big deal. You thought I was being serious and I wasn't. No need to get all defensive about it sir. This conversation ended long ago.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Game Day

Unfortunately I have to work. Shoes aren't AE, but the laces are! Unfortunately, AE doesn't make a simple suede buck.

Last edited:

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
if your going to continue to backtrack because you are at fault for not noticing sarcasm, you don't belong on this thread.
And I am not trying to be decent when I say this, its the cold truth. You can't demand proper decency and manners 100% of the time...his comments were a funny lift in what discussion we had currently going on.

Get with it, or get out...

PS: It is ok to not understand sarcasm and admit to it with a laugh.

But don't try and say "I don't care if the sarcasm was apparent, it was rude and classless"

His comments were not directed towards someone, rather a pair of shoes. Don't try and take it out of context.

thanks for backing me up on this... to that guy that keeps bringing this up WAAAAAAAAAY after it ceased being a topic of conversation on this thread: I'm sorry for offending you by insulting a pair of shoes even though what I was actually doing is paying them a complement in a tongue in cheek sort of way... you see, the idea behind the sarcasm was to get them to lower the price because in truth I really do like them a lot (even though I didn't really expect them to lower the price... Understand? So, I'm sorry for liking the look of a pair of shoes, and expressing my affinity for said shoes in a sarcastic, tongue in cheek manner.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score

Recently got my Allen Edmonds Brooks Brothers MacNeils, in Chili grain, and they look great.

Anyway, the MacNeils have some slight flaws to the finish, but nothing that would be noticed by the casual observer.
There is however a problem with the heel of the right shoe. Basically, the left front edge of the heel touches the ground before any other part. The heel seems mis-alligned with the sole, if that makes sense. Hard to describe this, but I do feel pressure on my instep in this shoe. I've worn them about 2 or 3 times, and other than this, they are a very comfortable shoe.

Since I am in England, and got these shoes delivered to my sister-in-law who lives in the US, who then brought them over to me, I can't return them.
I guess a "quick fix" would be to file the heel down at the left front edge, but will that work?

From the looks of things, It just seems that the heel is thinner on the inside of the shoe than the outside. I would expect a simple replacement of the heel to suffice... but I'm no shoe expert.

Last edited:

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
Great collection and words of wisdom that everyone should listen to. I'm pretty happy with a core rotation of 10-11 shoes. I have a pair or two that need to be replaced in a one-in, one-out manner due to fit issues (replace C&J black captoe with Carmina and replace brown Delrays with suede strand) and may find room someday for a casual boot like the Bayfield or Long Branch, but I focused on covering my basics and shoes that would get significant wear due to versatility and am pretty content with the status quo

Those fifth streets are my next buy. Very balanced collection!
thumbs-up.gif

JermynStreet

Reaction score

Wear them about 10-15 more times and you won't know the difference. Enjoy them, also.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
I own 5 and 1 last shoes. How would I size for the 7 last (MacNeil)? Thanks!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you finish one quest, it's time to start another. Congrats on the boots! I'm jealous.
Thank you New Shoes1, and as usual you are correct and spot on...
Cold Iron... It's great you have a collection of AE shells in a boot, chukka and shoe. But boots and chukkas are kind of the same... but different, right? Well, so are balmorals and bluchers. So if you catch my drift, time to add bluchers into the mix ;)
I really like your reasoning and logic
smile.gif
And agree!
Because you may not be able to order the LWB in cappuccino if you procrastinate! Alas, no more walnut!
baldy%5B1%5D.gif

I just pulled the trigger today and finalized my own MTO with Allison. I ended up choosing the Lexington (in cappuccino of course) so I'm counting weeks. Thank for all your help the last 2 days. I think I wouldn't have been able to feel comfortable with the decision without your pictures and comments.
You have a great collection my friend. It would be great to see those shell Bayfields broken-in. Keep wearing them in the best of health.
cheers.gif
Thank you good sir! And I hope those Lexington's are perfect for you and think they will. I'm glad to help in any small way that I can. Each shell shoe or boot and even calf is a financial expenditure that could be spent someplace else and only if it works into my rotation and fits well is it worth it to me, so I understand totally. I can't wait to see pictures when you get them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads