Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Odradek

Odradek Senior member

That's it.
    I got BB MacNeils and BB Sheltons for $169 each.

2. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

Was wondering about this myself so I recently decided to try out the AE combination tap soles. They are not thin at all and the rubber material is very robust, so I think they'll last for a while.

I wasn't really sure which sole I'd like best, so I had my cobbler install some tap soles and rubber toe taps on my other pairs. I'll probably know in a few months which sole is most preferable and which would last the longest.

First, a pic of my test AE pairs (all recently acquired after I found this thread):

[​IMG]

With the different soles installed (L-R: Toe taps, OEM combination tap sole, vibram tap sole):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

3. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

I wear an 8.5D in most AEs, and the Sandersons width is fine for me. The heel is a tiny bit loose if anything. There are several versions of the Sanderson. I recommend them all. The "tan" color is more like a "walnut," which is my favorite color du jour.

CH

4. wurger

wurger Senior member

Thanks for the comparison!

5. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Senior member

You're welcome. I also posted a similar question a few months back and no one really got to answer it. So, I thought I'd just try it out and see how the various soles compare.

6. jumeitaps

jumeitaps New Member

You had me at the title, should have stopped typing and put a picture in the post instead of that tripe.
    [​IMG]

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

OK, Sunday morning first-world problem for you fellow addicts.

I ended up with an approximate 200$ credit from the jeffersonville outlet from a recent return. I requested store credit instead of a refund because I was doubtful they would take the shoes back in the first place (based on dark sole smudges from my carpet), but Kristle was cool enough to do so.

My recently-culled rotation (thinned out from 8 pairs due to sizing problems related to losing 50 lbs):

Black Neumora
    Dark Brown Neumora (both seconds from the 2/250 sale)
    Chili Regent Streets
    Grey McTavish (for casual jeans)

Since I'm a professional musician (not a banker), I don't have a need for too many of the more conservative styles. My current lineup doesn't have any lighter brown or burgundy/merlot shoes, so I was considering using the credit towards Walnut Sheltons, as the style lends itself to being dressed (reasonably) up or down.

BUT, I noticed a new addition to my size list yesterday: burgundy shell Cambridge 2nd, and my resolve wavered. I'm a musician, so I don't really have a practical need for too many traditional dress shoes, and the Neumoras fit the needs of my occasions just fine (one agency I work for requires black shoes always but is not picky on the type of shoe. I once wore a black LWB and no one batted an eye), and the walnut Shelton would probably suit my current needs a little better. But...

...I can't imagine another opportunity any time some in my current budget to get something in shell. The Cambridge fits a color gap in my cycle, but it'll be my third wingtip, and my third dark dress shoe, so a little redundant. There is also a burgundy shell leeds in my style, but I'm really not into the look of the shoe.

Advice? I'm going to make the call sometime today.

I also briefly considered walnut Rutledge or walnut Flatiron, as I like the 3 last for my feet.

8. SBear

SBear Senior member

Fair enough - what about a comparison between 3 last and 5 last. Let's say 10D in 5 last, shoe what would be the size recommended for a 3 last boot?

9. jimney

jimney Senior member

Just got an email blast about AE apparel. Sport coats look like they could be promising - anyone have any idea on construction?

10. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

The various brands of aftermarket rubber soles come in several different tread patterns. This is how the TOPYS that I had put on last Winter look now......

[​IMG]

11. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I was at a local store a couple of weeks ago as they were putting their new stock on display. The manager asked me to try some on. $495, made in USA, heavy fabric, well made. I thought they were very nice.

12. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

I received the AE apparel catalog yesterday. I flipped through and found two 15% off coupons in the back. I was very disappointing to read the fine print telling me they were not usable on shoes :(

13. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

I wonder if the AE apparel collection will be similar in style to Brooks Bros?

14. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

And they're usable on "leather goods", but that doesn't include belts.

15. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

BUT, I noticed a new addition to my size list yesterday: burgundy shell Cambridge 2nd, and my resolve wavered. I'm a musician, so I don't really have a practical need for too many traditional dress shoes, and the Neumoras fit the needs of my occasions just fine (one agency I work for requires black shoes always but is not picky on the type of shoe. I once wore a black LWB and no one batted an eye), and the walnut Shelton would probably suit my current needs a little better. But...

...I can't imagine another opportunity any time some in my current budget to get something in shell. The Cambridge fits a color gap in my cycle, but it'll be my third wingtip, and my third dark dress shoe, so a little redundant. There is also a burgundy shell leeds in my style, but I'm really not into the look of the shoe.

Advice? I'm going to make the call sometime today.
    [/quote]

Id say definitely go for the Cambridge if you need a burgundy shoe. In your case, however, with what would you wear these shoes? I ask because even though they're full brogues, they're also bals and are on the business side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.