• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesle7

Reaction score
Total newbie that has been lurking on this thread for the past 3 months. AE's have become an addiction the past few months and I feel like I scored some really good deals but am also hoping that these shoes will last decades with proper care and rotation.

I took a xanax about 20 minutes ago and I've spent the day reading through various shoe care thread and I basically feel like I am having a panic attack because of the information over load. Hopefully, some of the more experienced members can help set me straight on what my basic shoe care needs are and provide some practical advice based on their experience.

I've acquired the following shoes during the past 3 months:

AE WILBERT COMFORT SHOES - Brown ($225 - Amazon - 1sts)

AE BRUCE CHESTNUT WAXY LEATHER BICYCLE-TOE SHOES - Chestnut/Walnut ($125 - AE 2 for $250 - 2nds closeout)
AE PARK AVENUE CAP-TOE OXFORDS - Black ($199 - AE Tent Sale -2nds)
AE PARK AVENUE CAP-TOE OXFORDS - Brown ($199 - AE Tent Sale - 2nds)
AE PARK AVENUE CAP-TOE OXFORDS - Walnut Grain/Pebble Finish ($125 - AE 2 for $250 - 2nds closeout)
AE STRAND CAP TOE - Walnut ($129 - Amazon - 1sts)
AE MCALLISTER WINGTIP OXFORDS - Merlot ($187 - Amazon - 1sts)
AE CENTER FIELDER BOAT SHOES - Brown ($67 - AE Tent Sale - 2nds)
AE LONG BRANCH WINGTIP BOOTS - Brown ($125 - AE 2 for $250 - 2nds closeout)

My previous method was to use saddle soap to clean shoes and then use some type of gunky German leather conditioner that some equestrian people use to treat their tack and leather to condition and water proof the leather, and then use Kiwi waxes to wax and polish the shoes. Now I am reading that saddle soap damages the leather and that you shouldn't use it. I own a shoe valet and three different brushes.

Now I have shoe trees for all of my shoes but I am a little lost on how to properly care for them and my head is spinning at looking at the shoe care thread all day.

It seems that Saphir rejuvenator is the most highly recommended conditioner. Do I also need to use a separate product as a cleaner? If so, what cleaner do you recommend?

What brand and specific color shoe polish would you recommend for each of the above shoes? Where are you buying the Saphir brand products from?

Do I also need a wax in addition to the shoe cream for the final coat/shine? Does that brand really matter? Any recommendations?

How are people purchasing the brown Long Branches from the 2 for $250 sale planning on treating their boots? Would Obenauf's Leather Preservative be appropriate here or should I treat the Long Branches just like a high end shoe?

For the Bruce Chestnut Waxy Leather should I just use a neutral cream and wax?

Lost and about to have a breakdown that I am over my head on figuring this out and help is appreciated.

reminimjer

Reaction score
Got my second pair of AE today, black park ave's and I'm concerned about the condition of the sole. Looks like theres some cracking at the stitching - see pics below. Is this enough that i should be concerned and send back? They're firsts but ordered from Amazon.
Thanks for the advice

jonesle7

Reaction score
Got my second pair of AE today, black park ave's and I'm concerned about the condition of the sole. Looks like theres some cracking at the stitching - see pics below. Is this enough that i should be concerned and send back? They're firsts but ordered from Amazon.
Thanks for the advice

I recently ordered Park Ave.'s from Amazon and the shoes were damaged. Amazon sent a replacement and those were also damaged.

athenianlion

Reaction score
Could anyone recommend a 3rd pair of AE shoes to get? I own black Park Ave's in 9EEE and walnut McAllister's in 9.5EEE. I haven't tried any that aren't the 5 last. I measured a 10.5D on the Brannock. My only other pair of nice shoes are black tassel loafers (thrifted Johnson & Murphys).

Last edited:

jrarnold

Reaction score
Quote:
I'm a big fan of Merlot/Burgundy if you already have Black and Walnut(or Chili). Having these three different colors gives you a wide variety of wardrobe options.

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a big fan of Merlot/Burgundy if you already have Black and Walnut(or Chili). Having these three different colors gives you a wide variety of wardrobe options.

This. The AE merlot is a particularly nice dark burgundy color.

athenianlion

Reaction score
Thank you both. I had almost bought the Parks in merlot as my first pair. I think they may be my best bet? I'm not crazy about another pair of McAllisters, and feel I need something different than any of the loafers. I work in a business casual office.

Last edited:

Upward

Reaction score
I recently ordered Park Ave.'s from Amazon and the shoes were damaged. Amazon sent a replacement and those were also damaged.
What has happened to Allen Edmonds quality control? Last year it was Nordstrom that sold creased and cracked AE shoes. Now it's Amazon. I even got one directly from Allen Edmonds.

At least they have good customer service and will swap shoes for new ones. But why not make it right the first time? What is it costing AE to replace shoes versus making it right the first time?

The only other possibility is AE is buying cheaper leather and that's the problem.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got my second pair of AE today, black park ave's and I'm concerned about the condition of the sole. Looks like theres some cracking at the stitching - see pics below. Is this enough that i should be concerned and send back? They're firsts but ordered from Amazon. Thanks for the advice
I am pretty sure they won't affect the integrity of the sole, as GW still uses adhesives in critical areas, but it's poor finish.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice

I am pretty sure they won't affect the integrity of the sole, as GW still uses adhesives in critical areas, but it's poor finish.

I agree. It's not a problem with the integrity of the shoe. They'll be fine. The shoe doesn't flex in that area.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: Asked my cobbler to work some magic on the same day (Tuesday) and he had them ready for me today! For the most part, I think the pair will be okay and am thoroughly impressed with the work done.

My cobbler used a similarly colored piece of calf leather beneath the cut and hand sewed it in place. Cosmetically, theres some extra threading on the outside of the vamp and the cut looks to be gone, neither of which can be seen when being worn unless someone comes down to my feet and finely exams my shoes. Structurally, I hope they stand the test of time but I have my cobblers guarantee to come back if anything happens and he'll do whatever he can to help.

In addition to this job, he also completely redyed and refinished a pair of strands I had... thinking i had adequate practice changing a pair of tan shoes to chestnut brown, earlier this month I had stripped the finish and tried to remove the dye from a black pair of strands and redye them dark brown... it was an utter failure. At the time I brought the Daltons in I also asked him to work some magic and bring them back to what they used to be. The results are stunning and truly make me re-appreciate the beauty of black shoes... Unfortunately I don't have a before picture

If you are in the San Diego, La Jolla area or don't mind visiting... this cobbler is very talented and I would highly recommend him! He does basic things like topy half soles and even worked on a leather rucksack in the past. Because this post sounds like a review/advertisement, I won't post a yelp link, name,or location for fear of being punished but let me know and I'll gladly do so!

I am extremely impressed! Looks like a quality cobbler!

reminimjer

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. If I do keep them and the cracks worsen and the sole starts falling apart there, I'd assume AE would help me out seeing as that part of the sole really sees absolutely no wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads