Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

This is exactly how i did it. I made the purchase on Amazon using the coupon. Then started live chat and showed the rep the confirmation page with the final price and they matched it. I didnt care too much if they didn't price match because Amazon would still be good. I ended up canceling the Amazon order. I wanted to get it from Nordstrom in case something is wrong i can take it back to Nordstrom and exchange for a different pair.

2. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

I purchased a pair of snuff suede Amoks a few months ago for $99 and absolutely love them. The are without question the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever worn (with the Nuemoks being a close second).

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Well my thinking mentality may be a bit different than most, but I rarely buy retail. I've been searching eBay for about a year for some original mora's without any luck. And let's be honest, they aren't a staple shoe, so in that thinking, im fine with 2nds.

4. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

Did the insole come out easily, and what's underneath? I have a pair of RL Sandersons that are just a bit snug so maybe this would help.

5. wurger

wurger Senior member

Congraz on your purchase and the final outcome of a happy customer.

6. wurger

wurger Senior member

Good to hear your cobbler did a respectable job of fixing your shoes, and salvaging the Strand!

7. jlykos

jlykos Member

I have a pair of the Amoks and I like them a lot. That said, they run very narrow and are not for all foot shapes. Also, the leather is quite thin. I have had mine for a year and the toebox is starting to show through from where I have brushed the dirt off. I'm not sure whether to get them recrafted when the time comes or to toss them and get another pair, mostly because of the leather issue.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

8. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Hey mate,
    Taking out the insoles were a bit of pain. Took me about 20 minutes each pairs. First of all start from the sides (waist of the shoes) That is easy part then rip the insoles from the heels. Its easy too. Hardest part is to rip it from the ball of the feet and all the way through the toes end. They have used heavy glue on that area and hard to get your hands inside that far.My fingers and nails hurts now. At one stage I thought I will just give up !
    Underneath the insole there is cork foot bed. Not the pretty looking things - you will see glue marks here are there. But You will feel ok wearing them. Best part is the extra space. The insoles are thick . I ripped off 3 pairs today . I will need to do this in another 2 pairs. Now I wonder why I didn't do this earlier .

9. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Finally got my hands on a pair of Daltons! Love them in brown. Great fit. I went half a size down and it was a good choice. The last fits my foot very well; although going up a width may have been a better choice!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Hi Mate, I wear us 8EEE in Strands, fifth ave and players. I wear 8.5D in ffith St boot(not very good fit needed 8.5eee). Due to sizing issue and Dalton being narrow and I have wide feet I have ordered dalton in us 9D. went up 1 full size. I am waiting for these to be delivered. Do you think they will be too big ? I feel I can add some insoles /thick socks and wear them alright. As from 8.5D to 9 D is not a big change.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013

11. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I wear 9.5D/E in Strand/Park Avenues. A 9E Dalton would have been the better choice for my foot. I don't think the Dalton is particularly narrow; I think it's a little bit tight on my foot because I went down half a size (something I usually do for all boots). If you're typically a 3E on AE's lasts, you may have wanted to try the Dalton in a wider size. 8.5EEE may have been a better choice. This is just me deducing based on the information you've provided.

See how the 9D fits; if it is too long and too tight, try the 8.5EEE.

12. md2010

md2010 Senior member

thanks mate. amazon don't stock EEE so i went straight to 9D. I will have to wait and see now. I am sure they won't be tight. Just hope they are not too long.

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Right, I guess they're a bit medieval looking. Too plain perhaps. Would be a great conversation-starter, though, if that were one's goal...

14. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

^^^
    This ripping of the insoles thing just begs for some pictures.

15. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

Question for those who have burgundy shoes
    I'm looking to order some Saphir polish. I currently
    have Mahogany creme polish, is this a little too
    light for burgundy burnished cliftons or would the
    actual bordeaux #8 be a better choice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.