• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlafG

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the Kenwood Loafer? Specifically the Burgundy Cordovan.

I am having a terrible time fitting into loafers with the normal last and am thinking a "hand sewn" last would be better.

In the 5 last I wear 11.5D.

A tiny bit looser, but not enough to size down. At least not for me. I wear 11.5 3E in both 5 last, Daltons and the Kenwoods.

kentyman

Reaction score
seconds pop up on ebay from time to time. and the occasional jcrew coupon that slips alden purchases through..
I got a pair of those for 30% off last year iirc with a coupon
I have a pair and love them. Just be forewarned that the pic you posted somehow shows the boot to be sleeker than it really is. The toe box is not as flat or as low as in the pic. It's a bit higher or a bit more bulbous, although I don't mean that in a bad way. Check the Alden thread for some irl pics.

Thanks for the responses. 30% off would put it right around $500, which would be dangerously close to something I'd spend. Now I'm gonna have to try ever J.Crew coupon code I find... ;)

Thanks for the warning. I'm actually intrigued by a slightly higher toe. I don't usually like super knobby, which is why I liked this boot, but also thought the toe looked a tad too flat.

Bringing it back to AE (sorta): How did this boot fit compared to your AE's? I wear an 8.5D on the 5-65 last, but 9D on the 1-511 last.

Calikid

Reaction score
Thanks Calikid,

This is actually just the normal Dalton in Burgundy Shell Cordovan, so the lining is standard. The boot is beautiful, but standard.

My MTO is a non-shell burgundy Franciscan with finishings of the Independence Collection (premium calf skin upper, lambskin lining, bi-color sole, etc)...hopefully it turns out well
Thanks for the details Subutai. I am anxiously awaiting myself a delivery of the Dalton in Burgundy Shell so if mine look as good as yours I will be set!
Your MTO sounds fantastic. Looking forward to seeing pics when they arrive.

Calikid

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. 30% off would put it right around $500, which would be dangerously close to something I'd spend. Now I'm gonna have to try ever J.Crew coupon code I find... ;)

Thanks for the warning. I'm actually intrigued by a slightly higher toe. I don't usually like super knobby, which is why I liked this boot, but also thought the toe looked a tad too flat.

Bringing it back to AE (sorta): How did this boot fit compared to your AE's? I wear an 8.5D on the 5-65 last, but 9D on the 1-511 last.
Whatever you spend on the Alden for J.Crew captoes will be worth it as, imo they are an extremely comfortable boot!

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

you can also open a J Crew credit card and get 30% off of your first purchase...

MichaelN

Reaction score
Paul Grangaard is the CEO of Allen Edmonds. His offer is to email him directly with your MTO preferences, and he will have them made at the standard price for a pair of AE first quality shoes of the same material, as long as the materials are available and your request is "reasonable." They will tell you if it can't be done.
I guess it never hurts to ask. Is there an original post that contained his email address? I can't seem to find it. I don't see it on his blog either.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
StyleForum Friends -

Thanks very much for your great interest and support of Allen Edmonds. I'm seriously impressed and, on behalf of the company, honored by the 615 pages in this thread. I want you to know that we strive to live up to your high standards every single day, not just in product quality and styling but also in customer service. Customized shoes require special processing and, as you'd expect, aren't as efficiently done as our long production runs of in-line shoes. However, in return for your support, if it's a leather we carry in another style that you'd like on your chosen shoe but is not currently offered -- or if it's a width on a legacy last (such as the 5, the 7, the 8 or the 1) that isn't currently offered -- just send me an email at [email protected]. If we can do it for you, we will. The pricing will be "ad hoc" based on degree of difficulty, but I'm eager to give you a special deal. If we can't do it, I'll explain why. In other words, we'll do whatever we can to return your loyalty and trust.

Thanks very much again to you all and best wishes,
Paul

I guess it never hurts to ask. Is there an original post that contained his email address? I can't seem to find it. I don't see it on his blog either.

See above!

David Copeland

Reaction score
SAVE $155.00 !

The famous Long Branch AE Boots on sale for 189.99 at: CLICK HERE

ALSO:

Suede Neumok for a fabulous discount of only $104.99 at: CLICK HERE

And here is a great favorite on sale - SAVE $183.00 :

Sanford on sale: Regular 335.00, less $183 Discount: CLICK HERE

MANY, many more styles on sale today at great discounts: CLICK HERE

All my best,

David

I followed up on another sale that was mentioned here -

Aside from the above great bargains - some of these styles ARE EVEN LOWER at Allen Edmonds Seconds Sale - 2 PAIR FOR $250 - starting today until August 4th.

Just email [email protected]

Tell the store what sizes you wear, and they will email back the store-wide inventory of what is available to purchase thru email or phone.

EXAMPLES in Size 11 and Size 11.5 :

FOR ONLY $125.00 (any two pair for $250):

The famous Long Branch AE Boots

EXAMPLES in Size 11 and Size 11.5 :

FOR ONLY $125.00 (any two pair for $250):

The Dalton in Grey Calf

Many, many other styles available too! Make sure you get your AE email in and ask what is in your size to get the $125 shipped (2 for $250 deal)

Enjoy your week,

David

basiameda

Reaction score
Using the 20% off Tanger discount I ordered a pair of Walnut Shell Dalton seconds. They came in this morning and after some renovateur and brushing, they began to look brilliant.

I thought the seconds defect was sloppy brogue-ing but unfortunately, its much worse than that... there is a cut where the vamp meets the toe box... As seen below, I am using my finger to expose the vamp and the cut is not significantly noticeably when the shoes are firmly laced (not pictured)...

But when I remove the lacing its revealed that the cut is fairly large...

I really want to keep this pair seeing as how there are no other seconds in my size, but given the circumstances, will the cut compromise the integrity of the shoe over time? I live near a highly skilled cobbler as well, are there any potential ways of patching the cut?

Last edited:

David Copeland

Reaction score
Using the 20% off Tanger discount I ordered a pair of Walnut Shell Dalton seconds. They came in this morning and after some renovateur and brushing, they began to look brilliant.

I thought the seconds defect was sloppy brogue-ing but unfortunately, its much worse than that... there is a cut where the vamp meets the toe box... As seen below, I am using my finger to expose the vamp and the cut is not significantly noticeably when the shoes are firmly laced (not pictured)...

But when I remove the lacing its revealed that the cut is fairly large...

I really want to keep this pair seeing as how there are no other seconds in my size, but given the circumstances, will the cut compromise the integrity of the shoe over time? I live near a highly skilled cobbler as well, are there any potential ways of patching the cut?
Good Looking boots.

Given the amount of money you saved and having a local cobbler, I suggest having him take a look. Beats shipping and returning at this point.

David

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good Looking boots.

Given the amount of money you saved and having a local cobbler, I suggest having him take a look.  Beats shipping and returning at this point.</span>

David

I agree with David. Walnut shell is apparently a rare, nigh-unattainable beast from here on out; if the boots fit well, I bet that cobbler's services would be well worth it.

epc2

Reaction score
I'm not a boot guy but those look very nice , and you got lucky with the Horween Logo.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I agree with the others. Keep them and see if they can be repaired. Not even sure it would cause a problem if you didn't repair them unless your instep puts a lot of pressure at that point.

They are gorgeous! Congratulations and enjoy.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wear an 8D in the Daltons (1-511) and a 7.5D for the J.Crew x Alden #8 PCT boots (Barrie). It would be hard for me to say which boots are more comfortable. Both are very comfortable. The Aldens are a little heavier than the Daltons but still very comfortable.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Just ordered the Navy Suede Spiaggia and Brown Long Branch from the Shoe Bank, 2/$250...Oh Happy Day! Hope the defects are minimal.

The Spiaggia looks to be a suede version of the McAllister, which fits a bit looser than my Strands (both of which I have in 8E). Therefore, I ordered an 8D. That will at least tell me if I should return my McAllisters for an 8D or the Spiaggia for an 8E.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads