• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strands on ice. These are overtaking the Sanfords for favourite pair.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting the chili Weybridge:

and the Brogue Suede Quinton:

with the 2/$250 sale.

They are both on the 8 last, which fits me perfectly in an 8.5D. I currently do not have a chili or a dark brown suede shoe in my collection.

Thoughts?

I love the Quinton. I didn't even know AE made a suede balmoral. I am going to see if they have them in my size.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the 2 for $250 sale, I didn't find much of note. I know one or two individuals on Reddit snagged a pair of Shell Dundees (7.5 & 11.5). The only boots I noticed were chukkas; Amok/Malvern/Katmai. The Italian loafers are on the list as well. If anyone is interested, here's the lists for 9D/9E/9.5D/9.5E/10B from the Shoe Bank. They're about a day or two old. I would still suggest shooting an e-mail in case they've added a wider selection to the list.

I remember someone was looking to snag a pair of Player's, well, this is your chance! They're on the list!

9D + 9E: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvea099om9x79yz/090D090e.xlsx?m

9.5D + 9.5E: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtggiycvcofvfc1/095D.xlsx?m

Another 9.5D: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymzbtyslik8eu3n/095D (1).xlsx?m

10B: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ldtj56i1znfwna6/10B.xlsx?m

Bzack

Reaction score
On the 2 for $250 sale, I didn't find much of note. I know one or two individuals on Reddit snagged a pair of Shell Dundees (7.5 & 11.5).
Funny, I just talked to Jerry in Brookfield and asked specifically if any shell was included in the 2/$250 deal and he said no. They must have snuck one past a less experienced CS rep.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just lost my Allen Edmonds virginity!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Received my first pair today--black Park Avenues--and love them! They fit and feel great and I'm already contemplating my next AE purchase. Quick question though regarding the AE full-toe shoe trees: I wear 10.5Ds and the size guide said to get large trees. I bought the larges of course, but they seem too big for my shoes. I really have to cram them in there, and the spring is almost fully compressed when they are inserted. They are also very difficult to remove, as the fit is so tight. Seems like they are too big for the shoes and will stretch them out. FWIW, 10.5D is the smallest size on the chart that calls for size large trees. Even moving down one width to a C, they recommend medium trees.

Any thoughts on the matter from the AE experts here?

I do not like the full toe shoe trees for this reason. As a size 12, I'm supposed to use the XL shoe trees, and observed the same things you mention with the full toe shoe trees: shoe tree fully compressed and not fitting into the shoe very easily or extending into the toe much. I have a pair of full toe shoe trees in a pair of boots, but otherwise go exclusively with the combination trees for this reason.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking about getting the chili Weybridge:
and the Brogue Suede Quinton:
with the 2/$250 sale. They are both on the 8 last, which fits me perfectly in an 8.5D. I currently do not have a chili or a dark brown suede shoe in my collection. Thoughts?
Not a fan of the Weybridge, but the Quinton looks good. If you like the shoes, sounds like a good buy to me. Two options that you do not currently have.
I agree. Weybridge not my thing. I'm pretty sure the Quinton comes on a Dainite-type rubber sole, which makes it a good foul weather shoe, as well. Maybe confirm with AE that it's true. Also, the one I tried on felt a little narrow, but that's likely because it's an Oxford compared to my Clinton derby. But I like it, and for $125, can't go wrong.

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do not like the full toe shoe trees for this reason.  As a size 12, I'm supposed to use the XL shoe trees, and observed the same things you mention with the full toe shoe trees:  shoe tree fully compressed and not fitting into the shoe very easily or extending into the toe much.  I have a pair of full toe shoe trees in a pair of boots, but otherwise go exclusively with the combination trees for this reason.

This depends on your shoe size. The Washburn in large happens to fit my shoe size perfectly, and it is not only full toe, but also has the ridge on it. On the other hand, the Woodlore Epic gives me the same problem as you cite here. If you're on the edge with one of the sizes, you're better off with split-toe.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do not like the full toe shoe trees for this reason.  As a size 12, I'm supposed to use the XL shoe trees, and observed the same things you mention with the full toe shoe trees:  shoe tree fully compressed and not fitting into the shoe very easily or extending into the toe much.  I have a pair of full toe shoe trees in a pair of boots, but otherwise go exclusively with the combination trees for this reason.

Interesting. Perhaps my instinct was correct, and the trees are indeed too tight. So you found that the correct size combination trees for you shoe according to AE fit less tightly than the full toe trees? Do you have any experience with the Cedarville/Kirby Allison Epic shoe trees? I've seen a lot of reference to them here on the forums.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are a bit more casual though. What are everyone's thoughts on the Quinton with a suit? And does anyone know what type of sole it has?
I just found out it has a rubber sole. I am not interested anymore.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
On the 2 for $250 sale, I didn't find much of note. I know one or two individuals on Reddit snagged a pair of Shell Dundees (7.5 & 11.5). The only boots I noticed were chukkas; Amok/Malvern/Katmai. The Italian loafers are on the list as well. If anyone is interested, here's the lists for 9D/9E/9.5D/9.5E/10B from the Shoe Bank. They're about a day or two old. I would still suggest shooting an e-mail in case they've added a wider selection to the list.

I remember someone was looking to snag a pair of Player's, well, this is your chance! They're on the list!
I just placed an order this morning for the 2 for $250 sale. I got a pair of walnut players and the red white and blue macneils (Just like George W's pair). When I first got the list it had 2 pairs of the Townley in brown cordovan, but by the time I called a half hour later, they were both sold to the same person... So I missed out on the cordovan.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just placed an order this morning for the 2 for $250 sale. I got a pair of walnut players and the red white and blue macneils (Just like George W's pair). When I first got the list it had 2 pairs of the Townley in brown cordovan, but by the time I called a half hour later, they were both sold to the same person... So I missed out on the cordovan.

What size are you? Just curious, I just ordered a pair of walnut Players too.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
What size are you? Just curious, I just ordered a pair of walnut Players too.
I'm a 12d. The list showed they had 2 pair in that size when I placed the order this morning.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Perhaps my instinct was correct, and the trees are indeed too tight. So you found that the correct size combination trees for you shoe according to AE fit less tightly than the full toe trees? Do you have any experience with the Cedarville/Kirby Allison Epic shoe trees? I've seen a lot of reference to them here on the forums.

I use the Woodlore shoe trees that are $14 at Nordstrom Rack. They work just fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads