Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. khe86

khe86 Senior member

With macy's, I would call first. The Macy's in Herald Square carries AE but some of the smaller Macy's do not. Their sizes are also a little limiting. I remember trying on the Haight ankle boot and they only had B width...

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Macy's has maybe 2-3 AE models. Go to Brooks Brothers. You live in Miami and you were able to find this website - between the two you have everything you need to find the nearest BB.

3. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I had a similar experience on eBay with some NOS shell Leeds last year at a screaming deal, but it's like crack -- your first hit is deeply discounted and later you'll be happy to pay two or three times that for the next shoe...

Welcome to the cult that is shell cordovan.

4. archangle13

archangle13 Senior member

Question: What are the insole length and width measurements of US9D on the AE 5 last? (e.g. Jefferson or Park Avenue)

Thanks in anticipation! :)

5. chuckb

chuckb Senior member

Wait, you can get on a waiting list for seconds of certain shoes? I might need to sign myself up for burgundy shell Daltons if so.

6. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Is the AE for Brooks Bros strand the same in sizing as the normal Strand? If i'm a 9.5 in Strands would that be my size in the BB version?

Edit: They are true to size.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

1) NO. I asked AE Recrafting directly, and they definitively told me that they don't recraft RL branded shoes. Sucks.

2) I don't know.

Found my earlier post with the text email I received from them.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

8. khe86

khe86 Senior member

The wording sounds like they are not legally allowed to recraft AE for RL shoes.

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I think it must have something to do with a licensing fee that AE wants paid, or maybe the wholesale price of the shoe, that AE does not include these in its recrafting program. There was a discussion earlier that AE was not recrafting Brooks shoes for a while, but then some agreement was reached, and they now will recraft Brooks shoes.

Clearly they can recraft the RL shoes if they want to, as they are based on AE branded shoe models and use exactly the same construction.

10. khe86

khe86 Senior member

Are the AE for RL made of better leather than the normal AE? I know I asked this before but I can't really believe how big the markup on the RL retail is.

11. md2010

md2010 Senior member

RL shoes that are made by AE are way way better than AE. I have 4 RL made by AE shoes. (I also have 3 pairs of AEs)-
    RL shoes have-
    1.Better leather used (out side and inside)
    2.Full leather lining
    3.Full leather insole
    4.Finish in RL shoes are 5 times better than AE.
    5.RL by AE shoes are on custom last. They are narrow as motha*ucker.

Don't get me wrong I like AE shoes. They offer many fits and width sizes and they are relatively cheap. But you can't compare RL shoes with AE. they are in 2 different leagues.

12. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

This week I ordered two pair from the custom design Neumok sale, I picked up some Brooks Bros Strands, and I am really gonna have a tough time not jumping on these Rutledges at that price. Ouch, my wallet hurts.

13. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I largely agree with this, except for:

5) They are not on a custom last. Most are on the 2-last. Others are on existing AE lasts.

In general, I think the RL shoes are usually versions of shoes from the Independence line, which itself uses higher quality leather than the mainline AE shoes. I do think the RL shoes have better finishing. I assume this is because RL specifies a higher grade finish and maybe pays more.

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Likely the leaves, fall is a special time of year for most people and brings back good memories. It does me anyhow. The railing isn't big enough for all the family and neither is the flag so not sure how to do them all together outside at this time of year. Especially today with snow, wind and no sun.
    LOL Adam said it best and congratulations on your new boots! That is an unreal price and your patience paid off, well done.

Yes walnut shell is darker than walnut calf by a lot thank goodness. I would not try to lighten them personally, IMO the darker they are the more versatile they are. I also like the variation in color that AE walnut shell offers.

Walnut calf on the left with walnut shell Strands and Daltons.
    [​IMG]

And Dundee's for the walnut shell trifecta:
    [​IMG]

Enjoy your new boots and once again nicely done.

15. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.