• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

khe86

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, ill check them out. There's a few Macy's near me.
With macy's, I would call first. The Macy's in Herald Square carries AE but some of the smaller Macy's do not. Their sizes are also a little limiting. I remember trying on the Haight ankle boot and they only had B width...

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, ill check them out. There's a few Macy's near me.
Macy's has maybe 2-3 AE models. Go to Brooks Brothers. You live in Miami and you were able to find this website - between the two you have everything you need to find the nearest BB.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I got my Shell Cordovan Daltons this week.  They were seconds, and I was on a waiting list for almost a year for them.  I got them at an unbelievable price-- $299.  (I locked in to that March 2012 price) Overall, I am incredibly impressed.  They are extremely lightweight, soft, comfortable-- cordovan is such a wonderful leather!

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

I had a similar experience on eBay with some NOS shell Leeds last year at a screaming deal, but it's like crack -- your first hit is deeply discounted and later you'll be happy to pay two or three times that for the next shoe...

Welcome to the cult that is shell cordovan.

archangle13

Reaction score
Question: What are the insole length and width measurements of US9D on the AE 5 last? (e.g. Jefferson or Park Avenue)

Thanks in anticipation! :)

chuckb

Reaction score
Wait, you can get on a waiting list for seconds of certain shoes? I might need to sign myself up for burgundy shell Daltons if so.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the AE for Brooks Bros strand the same in sizing as the normal Strand? If i'm a 9.5 in Strands would that be my size in the BB version?

Edit: They are true to size.

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 Questions on the RL Saunders:

1) Can it be recrafted by AE?

2) Is it certainly on the 2-last?

1) NO. I asked AE Recrafting directly, and they definitively told me that they don't recraft RL branded shoes. Sucks.

2) I don't know.

Found my earlier post with the text email I received from them.

Thought I would share this information on recrafting, in case anyone needs it for future reference. I asked AE about recrafting the Ralph Lauren branded shoes and the Italian collection shoes. Here is what they said:

We do not have authority to recraft Ralph Lauren, even the ones that were manufactured by us. I am sorry. Yes, we recraft the Verona, however, they will not be recrafted with the Italian sole but with a comparable American sole.

I'm not sure what sole they would use for the Italian loafers. But my Verona will be in need soon, so I may find out.

Last edited:

khe86

Reaction score
The wording sounds like they are not legally allowed to recraft AE for RL shoes.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The wording sounds like they are not legally allowed to recraft AE for RL shoes.

I think it must have something to do with a licensing fee that AE wants paid, or maybe the wholesale price of the shoe, that AE does not include these in its recrafting program. There was a discussion earlier that AE was not recrafting Brooks shoes for a while, but then some agreement was reached, and they now will recraft Brooks shoes.

Clearly they can recraft the RL shoes if they want to, as they are based on AE branded shoe models and use exactly the same construction.

khe86

Reaction score
Are the AE for RL made of better leather than the normal AE? I know I asked this before but I can't really believe how big the markup on the RL retail is.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are the AE for RL made of better leather than the normal AE? I know I asked this before but I can't really believe how big the markup on the RL retail is. 

RL shoes that are made by AE are way way better than AE. I have 4 RL made by AE shoes. (I also have 3 pairs of AEs)-
RL shoes have-
1.Better leather used (out side and inside)
2.Full leather lining
3.Full leather insole
4.Finish in RL shoes are 5 times better than AE.
5.RL by AE shoes are on custom last. They are narrow as motha*ucker.

Don't get me wrong I like AE shoes. They offer many fits and width sizes and they are relatively cheap. But you can't compare RL shoes with AE. they are in 2 different leagues.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
Here is the flyer for the upcoming seconds sale, along with some of the other models that will be discounted. I was told that all models not featured in the flyer will be 15% off.

This week I ordered two pair from the custom design Neumok sale, I picked up some Brooks Bros Strands, and I am really gonna have a tough time not jumping on these Rutledges at that price. Ouch, my wallet hurts.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RL shoes that are made by AE are way way better than AE. I have 4 RL made by AE shoes. (I also have 3 pairs of AEs)-
RL shoes have-
1.Better leather used (out side and inside)
2.Full leather lining
3.Full leather insole
4.Finish in RL shoes are 5 times better than AE.
5.RL by AE shoes are on custom last. They are narrow as motha*ucker.

Don't get me wrong I like AE shoes. They offer many fits and width sizes and they are relatively cheap. But you can't compare RL shoes with AE. they are in 2 different leagues.

I largely agree with this, except for:

5) They are not on a custom last. Most are on the 2-last. Others are on existing AE lasts.

In general, I think the RL shoes are usually versions of shoes from the Independence line, which itself uses higher quality leather than the mainline AE shoes. I do think the RL shoes have better finishing. I assume this is because RL specifies a higher grade finish and maybe pays more.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although I am fairly new here, this pic is nostalgic lol. Idk why, it just is, its one of those pics I'll never forget.

God help you if you take an updated pic that isn't on a sunny day, outside, in front of an American flag lol.

Likely the leaves, fall is a special time of year for most people and brings back good memories. It does me anyhow. The railing isn't big enough for all the family and neither is the flag so not sure how to do them all together outside at this time of year. Especially today with snow, wind and no sun.
So I got my Shell Cordovan Daltons this week. They were seconds, and I was on a waiting list for almost a year for them. I got them at an unbelievable price-- $299. (I locked in to that March 2012 price) Overall, I am incredibly impressed. They are extremely lightweight, soft, comfortable-- cordovan is such a wonderful leather! They are supposed to be seconds, but I was hard pressed to find why. Maybe some evidence of mis-nailed heels? They're on there solid enough, but it's kinda sloppy. But that's not visible to anyone. Also, I'm not sure why they are called Walnut, because these guys are really more on the solid medium to dark brown side. I can't give pictures right now, but they aren't anywhere as light as my walnut Cliftons, and maybe a shade under my chocolate Macneils.

I really like them, but I think I'm going to try to leave them out in the sunlight for a couple of months just to get that shell to lighten up a bit. Did anyone else find their Walnut Daltons to be darker than the typical walnut calf shoe?

I had a similar experience on eBay with some NOS shell Leeds last year at a screaming deal, but it's like crack -- your first hit is deeply discounted and later you'll be happy to pay two or three times that for the next shoe...

Welcome to the cult that is shell cordovan.
LOL Adam said it best and congratulations on your new boots! That is an unreal price and your patience paid off, well done.

Yes walnut shell is darker than walnut calf by a lot thank goodness. I would not try to lighten them personally, IMO the darker they are the more versatile they are. I also like the variation in color that AE walnut shell offers.

Walnut calf on the left with walnut shell Strands and Daltons.

And Dundee's for the walnut shell trifecta:

Enjoy your new boots and once again nicely done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads