• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Men:

Wearing my new (for me) pair of Strand in Dark Chili. I just got these from the popular auction site, and though my size is 13e in the 65 last--or so I've thought--the price was right on this pair in a 13d; I figured at under $100 shipped/tax for this very lightly-worn pair, I could always flip them if they are too snug while wearing thin dress socks.

I have tried a 13d Strand various times, and they have alway been just a bit too snug for comfort. The 13e is slightly roomy in the toe box, and I have always chalked it up to the 65 last simply not being an optimum fit.

At any rate, this pair in question arrived yesterday, and the fit is perfect. Huh?!? It occurs to me: this pair has the "wheeling" on the bottoms of the soles, and the seller advises they were purchased @15 years ago, worn 3 or 4 times, and then parked in the closet. Thus, these are a pre-Caleres issue. I am relatively new to AE, and I have only tried on/purchased post-Caleres examples of the Strand. Has the sizing changed...? I have had to send back both a Strand and a Strand weave in 13d because my feet were experiencing the mild "hockey skates" cramping while just sitting down with them laced up. Weird.

ZLDsYE8.jpg
I have an older pair of shell Leeds (pre Caleras) in 11 3E and had a newer pair of shell Leeds in the same size (so 511 last, not 65 last). Although both are printed with the same size, the older pair sure fit a full size larger than the newer pair. This caused me some issues as I bought and subsequently sold a couple other 511 lasted shoes in that same 11 3E size. I later found that I need and have since purchased 511 lasted shoes in 11.5. Oh well.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Pairs you regret selling. I'll start.

Mine would be the Clark Street. Although this pair never fit me well because of extreme heel slip, I later learned that not all pairs I tried had this problem. Part of me feels I gave up on these too soon and should have held onto them. And they were natural cxl, which makes them even more desirable now to me.

View attachment 1840641
Nice :) The pair I regret selling are these gray CXL Strandmoks. I wanted them badly and Jason in Charleston found them in the abyss for me back in the day. 11.5 3E…which I usually wear 11 3E in 65 lasted shoes. Too big and my heel would slip, so I tried some sole inserts, which would push my foot too high in the shoe. I sold them. I wished I tried a tongue pad. I still want a pair of these, but they’re pretty rare it seems.
60E9D5F3-43E5-4521-8DED-7C6FEB091A2A.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here is an Allen Edmonds boot that deserves more love. View attachment 1840908
It would have gotten more love from me but I couldn’t get a good fit. I loved them so much that I bought a pair trying to use insoles. But alas, they moved on to a better SF home.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is an Allen Edmonds boot that deserves more love. View attachment 1840908

100% agree as my photo from yesterday will show (although I can't tell if his pair are the Caen or the Normandy, they're both close enough for government work).

Since @PANJ is obviously cruising in the wake of my glorious footwear choices, I'll set an example for his photo tomorrow.

Dark brown suede Freeports today. The Freeport should also get more love, specifically this makeup, even if it has wonky stitching on the top of the left boot. That just gives it more of an air of authenticity.

IMG_6250.jpg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a very fancy boot today. Pure utility. Black Weatherproof HMs.

I own very few black shoes, basically these and black shell F2 MacNeils and Patriots. The Macs are for those few occasions where I need black, like funerals (I'm in the west, I can get away with it and still be a gentleman). Those Patriots just snuck in, sneaky bastards. The boots are my motorcycle boots, and I love them. It is tremendously difficult finding actual riding boots in my size, for about $150 these are a comfortable alternative.

I've ridden in pouring rain, and even occasional sleet, and my feet have always been warm and dry (as has the rest of me, thank you Motoport). I know there are some fellow riders out there, if anyone knows of a better riding boot in my size at even triple this price point I'd love to hear about it.

Afternoon ride, then dinner at Sundance tonight.

View attachment 1840640
9 EEE and I have found the following boots to be fairly accommodating (I go with 44 which depending on brand is either a us 10 or 11, tried a 43 but too short) TCX (Owned by Dainese), Alpinestars and BMW Motorrad.
curently have the following (for different temps):
TCX Hero WP
TCX Jupiter
BMW Knitrace
BMW Pureshifter
Alpinestars SMX-6 V2
I wore some F2 HM's at first and they were fine but I knew they would only help in a slide and wouldn't do anything to protect bones.

TCX Hero
BMW Pureshifter

Both welted, BMW comes with vibram sole.
IMG_6594.jpg
pureshifter boots.jpg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would have gotten more love from me but I couldn’t get a good fit. I loved them so much that I bought a pair trying to use insoles. But alas, they moved on to a better SF home.
The B34 was almost perfect for me. First last I ever found that had enough room for my flipper feet. Instep killed it for me, I have a pair waiting to be sold but I'm going to give them a go once the new instep stretcher arrives. I'd imagine you'd be swimming in a B34.

Going to look at the Rain last as you suggested and see how that works for me.

As to the RDA sale the FBG is on sale so a courtside for $200 might be worth it even though it isn't the "Duke" FBG I wanted.

Shearling lined HM is also on sale would you size up on that due to the lining or do they adjust for that at the factory? @AE_Lauren

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The B34 was almost perfect for me. First last I ever found that had enough room for my flipper feet. Instep killed it for me, I have a pair waiting to be sold but I'm going to give them a go once the new instep stretcher arrives. I'd imagine you'd be swimming in a B34.

Going to look at the Rain last as you suggested and see how that works for me.

As to the RDA sale the FBG is on sale so a courtside for $200 might be worth it even though it isn't the "Duke" FBG I wanted.

Shearling lined HM is also on sale would you size up on that due to the lining or do they adjust for that at the factory? @AE_Lauren
For what it’s worth, Horween doesn’t call their football leather by the name “Duke.” That appears to be a marketing term made up by AE the last time they offered Horween football leather. It has caused a lot of confusion this time since they didn’t use that term. When I compare the leather on my new football leather Higgins Mill to previous products (belt and Promontory Point boot), it looks the same.

Since the shearling is in the boot when it’s lasted, I assume we would order our regular size. I’m curious if the shearling lines the entire boot, or just the upper half.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to use a gift card and a couple of pre-paid Visa cards on a single purchase?

Goat30i

Reaction score
To me, it looks like these shoes were damaged by something that struck the boot from the rear. It’s not a normal-looking wear case.
Definitely no impact--heck that would have to be a very noticeable impact to crease a heel like that. (Have worn through a few boots over the years in different climates, with countless impacts from all kinds of interesting things in my younger days, but haven't seen a heel do that.) Same comfy chair, desk, car, commute, hallways, etc, as every day for past few years, and only 3 total wears of this pair of boots. The only marks on the heel are my own fingerprints from touching it after I noticed. Wasn't there in the morning, was there in the evening.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As mentioned earlier the counters were crushed.
It’s likely someone stepped down on the heel area several times trying to put the shoe on. Probably wiggled their heel into the shoe which would have weakened the counter further.
Another possibility would be shoe trees were jammed into the the shoe.
in either case using a shoe horn could have prevented the damage.

Geoff928

Reaction score
Noticed some hickory Strands on the factory seconds page Wednesday morning. On the website pictures, they look like a cross between the cigar color Strands and the saddle leather Strandmoks. I wasn't going to miss out on these a second time, so a quick call to State Street and by Friday morning they were out for delivery.

These look way better in person than the pictures on the website or the pictures taken with my phone.
20221007_142813.jpg

20221007_141948.jpg

20221007_141921.jpg

20221007_141940.jpg

Last night I checked the factory seconds page and noticed it was almost empty, but I did find a link to ShoeBank.com. Looks like the shoebank website is finally up and running again. It isn't the same as the geocities-esque website from before. The old format where you could pick your store was nice, but with the factory seconds satellite stores closed, that just isn't going to work anymore.

If you're signed up as a collector, you should be, this is the first day of the RDA sale. Cordovan is $590.75, I would be tempted if it wasn't for Shelltember. I just made a call to State Street to purchase a Woolymok and some shoe/boot trees.

A few (IMO) good sales.
Thanks @Shoenut for advice on woolymok sizing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads