• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Google-fu has failed me. But 201 does not, same as the Hopkinson and First Aves which work very well. But it's pretty close to 65, no?
My experience of the 201 is a more supporting fit at my arch. I like it--it feels like it shouldn't fit me but does when I put them on.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt a short stone wall in my yard the other day. Now I have excruciating pain in my lower back muscles.
It hurts SO MUCH to bend and twist that it’s hard to even put socks and shoes on. I chose these River Oaks because they’re chelsea boots that don’t require any laces to be tied. It still took 9 minutes to put my socks and shoes on. (I timed it.)

40760D14-A53F-4EA0-82C8-3E0692E85FD3.jpeg

matwa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1999 tan Bridgetons from Marshall's (the clothing discount store)

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now here's a question.

What was your first pair of Allen Edmonds and where did you get them from?

For me, it was a Factory 2nd walnut Fifth Ave from the website, and I bought that specific shoe because it was the most discounted of the "classic" AE dress shoes.
first pair of AE's, Brown PA's in about 1992, from the AE store in Milwaukee area

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a somewhat decent (and reasonably priced) used pair of pebbled swine flesh boots in 9D for those interested.

Cause Moe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a somewhat decent used pair of pebbled swine flesh boots in 9D for those interested.

Of course, Horween football grain has always been bovine leather, for both shoes and footballs.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No wife, so cannot contribute to that portion of the conversation...

But I can put my two cents here. I would love to see the Rogue return:

View attachment 1795102

Just so much more character than the currently offered Boulevards. It's on the 65 last so it won't help folks who need other shapes, but it's so dang charming! And everything AE is all Oxford, all the time, or a sneaker. We need some open laced styles!

Yeah, AE needs some derbys and bluchers for sure. Like, for reals. They have virtually nothing right now.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please allow me a moment to expand of this statement, especially for the benefit of our new AE rep. The company appears, to my limited perspective, to believe their length and width offerings can accommodate anyone who walks through the door. I commend them for their efforts as this is far beyond many of the other shoe makers. But length and width are only two parameters as SHAPE is also a big factor for fit. AE LOVES the 65 last and I am sure they have their reasons, but this is only one shape and it does not work for as many people as they may think. I believe the limitations of shape in this single last is why we frequently see posted pictures of shoes that have gaps at the ankle, excessively wide V gaps that will not close and creases ahead of the toe cap producing the dreaded "penis toe." All of these things occur in the 65 last shoes I try.

I have been told to choose another shoe last and the 73 last for the Chester is an example that fits me very well, as seen in this classic example below. But, it was discontinued. The 201 last was supposed to help with some of the vamp issues caused by the 65, but it was discontinued. The 97 last for the MacNeil works for me with some limitations, but it is no longer being used for any laced shoe, just the Grayson loafer. The 79 last was acceptable, but it is not being used for any laced shoe now, just the Randolph loafer. The 511 last will work for me with limitations, but it is restricted to the Leeds, one boot and the Wilbert.

So, when I walk in to an AE store looking for a laced dress shoe I am presented with 9 different style names on the 65 last that expands to 38 different leather, sole and color variations for the Neumok, Strand, PA, Strandmok, Fifth Ave, Cambridge, etc, etc, none of which will work for some people. So for people like me desiring a laced dress shoe, AE has become the "Leeds store." So, please put your heads together and see if there is some way to provide an option to those people like me who can't wear the 65 last. Maybe there isn't a way that financially makes sense to the company and I understand that. The world sometimes sucks and you can't be everything to every person. But please give it some thought.

The Chester on the 73 last, without bowed ankles, penis toe or excessive V gap.
View attachment 1795022

I have a greater tolerance for the 65 last than you do - I can wear Strands, Parks, etc just fine - but the 73 last is effectively perfect for me, and I would just love it to come back.

The 65 is an acceptable alternative to me, I just would like to see them go back to the 73 on at least some shoes.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Correct. I always loved the Rogue.

Me too. But even with the higher cone and blucher open lace it still looked like a sausage about to pop. Also note the creasing ahead of the cap on the right shoe. I feel I am being too cranky and I should go take a nap.

830B7FAB-D456-4423-8065-6600533BB383.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 101 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads