• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just passed a pretty intensive industry cert exam. I can say I did it in my AE’s. ;)

E7BC51F1-5731-4013-895A-C1694B13B7CC.jpeg

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Copper or Chili Strand Weaves? Don't say both cuz it ain't happening.

I bought chili during the last sale. I think the copper looks better, but my reasoning is that the chili is more versatile.

Not to be a weasel, but I’m now thinking about adding the copper. So:
Both of them, and also some shell.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina's quality has gone down? Interesting. I was unaware of that. I don't have a ton of experience with Carmina, but I can tell a lot of their lasts would be impossible for me. I have a lot of trouble with British and European balmorals, but their derby's seem to work fine for me.

I’d say that Carmina’s quality has gone through a period of more variability than normal. My understanding is that, as they grew quickly, they took on a lot of new “artisans” that had to be trained, then COVID made things … complicated. I suspect we are nearing the end of that period and they are normalizing, but they didn’t meet their historic standards for a while.

There was lots of hand-wringing in the Carmina thread for a while, not unlike the periodic Caleras panic in this thread.

SJTM

Reaction score
I thought long and hard about getting both, having already purchased the burnished copper. Everyone's taste differs, but I think the copper is a unique color in my shoe lineup, as I have chili in both oxfords (Byrons) and boots Daltons). It is hard to describe just how good the copper looks IRL.

Just bought a pair of Neumoks in sage. Complements my four pair of Players in Chocolate, snuff, bone and navy.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d say that Carmina’s quality has gone through a period of more variability than normal. My understanding is that, as they grew quickly, they took on a lot of new “artisans” that had to be trained, then COVID made things … complicated. I suspect we are nearing the end of that period and they are normalizing, but they didn’t meet their historic standards for a while.

There was lots of hand-wringing in the Carmina thread for a while, not unlike the periodic Caleras panic in this thread.

I pretty much exclusively hang out in this thread, so I'm unaware of a lot of things. I will occasionally visit the Alden thread, and the C&J thread once in a blue moon. I left both the AE and Alden Facebook groups simply because I'm trying to use FB less and less.

Anyway, I like this thread the best because it's pretty active and most the people are humble and nice to one another.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Hollywood again today, wearing the white suede Nomads again today, but took a picture of them in the shade today.

(Is it true Allen-Edmonds will sell no shoe before its time or have I confused Allen-Edmonds with another company?)

IMG_6920.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, in the Hollywood and Vine Los Angeles Metro Red Line subway station.

The lighting in here always makes me look like the boy with green hair.

IMG_6917.jpeg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, an Asian Chopped Chicken Salad at me at Off Vine, which is on Leland Way just east of Vine Street in Hollywood.

IMG_6928.jpeg

For fans of random Hollywood street scenes in shoe threads and for member of this group who live in Ohio and are wondering why so many weird looking people have been moving to your state, your state put this sign up on Vine Street between Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd.

Once upon a time the SantaFe Railway Hollywood City Ticket Office was in the building behind the FedEx truck.

IMG_6922.jpeg

For fans of pictures of lobsters who identify as crabs in shoe threads.

IMG_6936.jpeg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday Eve and inaugural outing in some cigar medallion cap toes with indoor and outdoor lighting.

PXL_20210701_134525960.MP.jpg
PXL_20210701_135632354.jpg
PXL_20210701_135649695.jpg
PXL_20210701_203428149.jpg

SumDude

Reaction score

I went through the same decision process as you. AEfaninTampa post some great pictures of all the colors next to one another. Helped me decide to go with the copper.

Rithrin

Reaction score
In Hollywood again today, wearing the white suede Nomads again today, but took a picture of them in the shade today.

(Is it true Allen-Edmonds will sell no shoe before its time or have I confused Allen-Edmonds with another company?)

View attachment 1633416

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, in the Hollywood and Vine Los Angeles Metro Red Line subway station.

The lighting in here always makes me look like the boy with green hair.

View attachment 1633417

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, an Asian Chopped Chicken Salad at me at Off Vine, which is on Leland Way just east of Vine Street in Hollywood.

View attachment 1633418

For fans of random Hollywood street scenes in shoe threads and for member of this group who live in Ohio and are wondering why so many weird looking people have been moving to your state, your state put this sign up on Vine Street between Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd.

Once upon a time the SantaFe Railway Hollywood City Ticket Office was in the building behind the FedEx truck.

View attachment 1633419

For fans of pictures of lobsters who identify as crabs in shoe threads.

View attachment 1633420
Clearly the lobster has already cooked the Hollywood Crab!

Great post, as always!

HGerbracht

Reaction score
Do I get Cigar or Oxblood Strands? Current lineup includes Walnut Lexingtons, Chili Boulevards, Bourbon 5As, and Black 5As. Cannot get both, unfortunately.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do I get Cigar or Oxblood Strands? Current lineup includes Walnut Lexingtons, Chili Boulevards, Bourbon 5As, and Black 5As. Cannot get both, unfortunately.
Do you have more blue and gray clothes or more browns in your wardrobe? That would tilt my decision one way or the other.

HGerbracht

Reaction score
Mostly, I’m wearing a variety of light to dark khaki/navy colored chinos with white/blue striped or checked button downs. Maybe twice a month, I’ll wear a navy suit with a solid white/light blue button down.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mostly, I’m wearing a variety of light to dark khaki/navy colored chinos with white/blue striped or checked button downs. Maybe twice a month, I’ll wear a navy suit with a solid white/light blue button down.
I would go Oxblood, cause it goes with everything.

Blue_Bowtie

Reaction score
Howdy fine AE brethren, I have been wearing boat shoes constantly so haven’t been posting much. Finally my navy shell Strands got to go out for a spin today. After brushing off a bit of bloom last night they were raring to go! Have a great holiday weekend!
A6CC00B7-CF6A-45DF-8D1C-E1AA76F386C3.jpeg
84468072-830D-47A3-9F4A-F2B67C692BF7.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul_L