• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
You make some really good points but the most important one is: use a cobbler who is known to do good work.

I am sure you agree by your statements that the issue you encountered was not "stitched sole protectors" but rather inferior workmanship. Any competent cobbler would have removed the first set of stitches even if they decided to only replace the sole protectors but stitch them as well.

As to functional benefit, in some limited cases stitched sole protectors are more durable but in many cases it is unnecessary and simply increases replacement cost for no good reason.

Yes, people should always use a competent cobbler. Having said that, there is something to be said for not needlessly overcomplicating a simple job. Stitching sole protectors, at least in my view, offers no significant advantage vs. gluing them. So why add wear and tear to the welts, risk the sort of damage in my case, and make the sole protector itself less serviceable when/if it wears out in the future. It's just not a good idea and not really worth doing for the slight aesthetic improvement to the bottom of the sole.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The dictionary.com definitions look pretty good to me. “Trendy”and “put-together” (read: design principle) aren’t always the same.

This is a rabbit hole we can go down all day....

To me:
trendy implies following current fashion.
put-together is the opposite of disheveled and does not necessarily mean a person has style.

As-in, a person could be put-together (i.e. hair is combed, shirt is buttoned up, pants are not dirty) but that does not necessarily mean the person has good style or is following fashion trends.

Rithrin

Reaction score
A bit chilly at 54 degrees this morning, but fortunately no snow for us.
Natty Sterling’s for a little tree top adventure!
View attachment 1559015
Green AE field jacket as well.
View attachment 1559017
Hope you had fun! There's something similar by us, it's a great once a year type of experience.

IMHO, 40 Over Fashion should not be espousing trends and styles that are meant for 20 and 30 year old's. While men over 40 should be stylish, the main point is to dress your age which by most classic style rules means "even more classic" the older you get. Watch a few of his videos and you will notice most of his wardrobe is what I would consider trendy, meant for younger men, often tacky, and overall not stylish (or classic). I do not think RMRS or any of the "menfluential" people are any better especially when it comes to style for men over 40.

Style is individual and personal so what I might consider "tacky" others might consider "stylish" and what I might consider "classic" others might find "fuddy duddy" (to use a term that was brought up here recently).

I am over 40 and tend to follow people such as Alan Flusser, Ralph Lauren, Simon Crompton - Permanent Style, and Bernhard Roetzel who are about classic men's style (even though I do not wear suits that often anymore).
If I passed by this man on the street, I would probably think he looks better dressed than your average person. There's a difference between dressing tacky and dressing perhaps inappropriately for your age. Agree on RMRS, though they're a great entry point into dressing better for a lot of people out there.

Just because I like to be detailed and clear in my definitions does not mean I am not fun at parties. And for those who care, I am married to a high school English teacher which does not help the matter.
Accuracy matters, whether it be for work or play!

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shell on commando is fine for snow
15798AFA-983A-4F9E-949B-6878B9260EC8.jpeg

ronscuba

Reaction score
While I can appreciate them, they would not look good on me. IMHO, one needs to be tall and lean to wear those types of shoes which I am not. I'm not fat but not that tall either. I weightlift and already have big shoulders (due to genetics) and large legs (due to cycling) so I do my best to minimize my build and wear appropriate clothes and shoes. If I wore shoes like those, I would look like a circus clown with really big shoes because long, narrow, and pointy shoes simply do not work for me.
IMHO, 40 Over Fashion should not be espousing trends and styles that are meant for 20 and 30 year old's. While men over 40 should be stylish, the main point is to dress your age which by most classic style rules means "even more classic" the older you get. Watch a few of his videos and you will notice most of his wardrobe is what I would consider trendy, meant for younger men, often tacky, and overall not stylish (or classic). I do not think RMRS or any of the "menfluential" people are any better especially when it comes to style for men over 40.

Style is individual and personal so what I might consider "tacky" others might consider "stylish" and what I might consider "classic" others might find "fuddy duddy" (to use a term that was brought up here recently).

I am over 40 and tend to follow people such as Alan Flusser, Ralph Lauren, Simon Crompton - Permanent Style, and Bernhard Roetzel who are about classic men's style (even though I do not wear suits that often anymore).
Agree with your 2nd paragraph.

Looking at the 40 over fashion website, in my opinion, the clothing looks fine for men over 40 wanting a modern look. I do see some outfits that do not look great on him. Not because he is over 40, but because of how grey his hair is and his body shape. He looks mid to late 50's in my opinion and too thick for some of his outfits.

I am mid 50's and look fit. I do not need to look stylish or trend setting. Looking modern and current is my focus. Colors and patterns do not look that much different from the past. I see thinner closer fits.

You mention dressing your age. I've bought a lot of clothing from Proper Cloth. Curious what you think of their look books and what age range they target. Proper Cloth

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agree with your 2nd paragraph.

Looking at the 40 over fashion website, in my opinion, the clothing looks fine for men over 40 wanting a modern look. I do see some outfits that do not look great on him. Not because he is over 40, but because of how grey his hair is and his body shape. He looks mid to late 50's in my opinion and too thick for some of his outfits.

I am mid 50's and look fit. I do not need to look stylish or trend setting. Looking modern and current is my focus. Colors and patterns do not look that much different from the past. I see thinner closer fits.

You mention dressing your age. I've bought a lot of clothing from Proper Cloth. Curious what you think of their look books and what age range they target. Proper Cloth

Two of my (many) brothers get their shirts at Proper Cloth and I will be doing the same in the future as Brooks Brothers now only makes "stretch" dress shirts with Spandex in them. I have worn BB my entire life.

I am not a fan of the Proper Cloth look-book (having only viewed the first page) because every shirt seems to be some version of a plaid print and they have a few Mao collars which I do not like. And I truly hate the wool cap as accessory piece (especially when hipsters wear it on hot summer days or anytime to/in the gym).

Look through some of the IGs of the people I mentioned earlier to see classic style which is what I try to follow as best I can. I am around the same age as you and fit (cycling, weightlifting, lots of urban walking, etc.) so I try to wear classic style pieces that are well fitting not being too baggy or too tight. It's funny, the only real conservative thing about me (and my wife) is how we dress.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yes, people should always use a competent cobbler. Having said that, there is something to be said for not needlessly overcomplicating a simple job. Stitching sole protectors, at least in my view, offers no significant advantage vs. gluing them. So why add wear and tear to the welts, risk the sort of damage in my case, and make the sole protector itself less serviceable when/if it wears out in the future. It's just not a good idea and not really worth doing for the slight aesthetic improvement to the bottom of the sole.

I am not sure fs this came across but I do agree with you about glued versus stitched sole protectors; stitched is completely unnecessary and adds additional cost for no reason (unless it is needed for very specific use cases).

Last edited:

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If I passed by this man on the street, I would probably think he looks better dressed than your average person. There's a difference between dressing tacky and dressing perhaps inappropriately for your age. Agree on RMRS, though they're a great entry point into dressing better for a lot of people out there.

Agreed but I do think his paisley maroon dinner/evening jacket and some of patterned shirts are tacky no matter his age. Most of his other stuff is rather trendy and does not suit his age (IMHO).

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I should add, so as not to offend anyone in these PC times, I spent my youth in Vancouver, love Canada. But couldn't pass up a joke,,, you Hosers.

Did you read the linked article about Canadians not getting sarcasm?

This was also proven by previous neighbors who were Canadian and often had to explain that they did not understand "New York Humor" because it was often sarcastic.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you read the linked article about Canadians not getting sarcasm?

This was also proven by previous neighbors who were Canadian and often had to explain that they did not understand "New York Humor" because it was often sarcastic.
No I will admit I didn't read the article, is sarcasm only an American thing? I don't think so, watch old Monty Python. And, having spent my youth as a kid in Canada, I get a "buy" (IMHO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members