• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remington Cashmere

Reaction score
How’s the fit of the alpine lace to toe boot? Can I take the same size as my 65 shoes? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I just read some reviews I think I’ll keep looking.

Last edited:

munchau

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bloor St. today.
9226D1B9-9B61-44E2-B1FC-A8AD8DAC12D9.jpeg
95CF2814-A5D2-4DB5-8F6B-38BB0E47C4AF.jpeg
D1E41B18-0089-42B2-89C5-1E2E1C03CAE5.jpeg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How’s the fit of the alpine lace to toe boot? Can I take the same size as my 65 shoes? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I just read some reviews I think I’ll keep looking.
I was interested in that one, too, but read a bunch of reviews that made me lose interest. Too bad; I think it's a pretty cool looking boot.

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tulane mid 1970s. If you have the means I highly recommend picking some up.(apologies to Ferris Bueller and if only current AE is supposed to be posted here.) ?
8DB540EE-6015-44CC-A310-E991F8AF9521.jpeg

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Incorrect, I only $hat on one of them, NJ.
I love those boots and they are being upgraded by Cobblers Plus.

Are you suggesting that you wore out the soles on your khatadins? Incidentally, I think these were my first gyw boots as well. I use them mainly as work boots at this point. The prospect of wearing out those vibram soles is inconceivable to me. I'm not sure I can say they look new but it's close and they probably have 100 wears. Very enjoyable boots. I've found the leather sort of burnishes with wear, which I like a lot.

PANJ

Reaction score
Are you suggesting that you wore out the soles on your khatadins? Incidentally, I think these were my first gyw boots as well. I use them mainly as work boots at this point. The prospect of wearing out those vibram soles is inconceivable to me. I'm not sure I can say they look new but it's close and they probably have 100 wears. Very enjoyable boots. I've found the leather sort of burnishes with wear, which I like a lot.
I agree--I cannot imagine a scenario where I will have to re-sole them--the vibram sole they come with seems like it will last forever.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I agree--I cannot imagine a scenario where I will have to re-sole them--the vibram sole they come with seems like it will last forever.

You are both correct, it would be nearly impossible to wear out that Vibram 700 sole they came with. My issue is they were great for scooter and motorcycle rides due to the oil resisting sole but they make for terrible winter boots becasue they have no lugs for traction. Since I no longer own a scooter or motorcycle and no longer ride, I decided to have them upgraded to "winter" boots with more traction by Cobblers Plus.

I simply do not wear boots unless it is raining or snowing outside. My wife has been bugging me for years to get a pair suede Chukkas which I may but that would be all I would ever want/need/wear in terms of boots besides these L.L. bean Katahdin Iron Works® Engineer Boots (by Chippewa) shown here and a pair of Bean Boots I have had for so many years I cannot remember how many times the bottoms have been replaced.

Mine in their current state before being shipped to Cobblers Plus.
*** notice the black mark on the left vamp and captoe from using a motorcycle shifter***
IMG_2348.jpg
IMG_2352.jpg

Last edited:

dpgaloot

Reaction score
Happy Wingtip Wednesday!

Jason found these for me, I had heard rumors of an Italian store shutting down. Unfortunately the Italians do not wear anything close to my size, so after Jason stopped laughing at my inquiry we looked for my sons.

Shell Leeds in 11D for my 20 year old. Jason says these are older, but isn't sure how old. The color is certainly richer and lighter than my 2-4 year old shell. Regardless I'm very happy with them as discounted seconds. My son likes them as well.

Leeds_Shell_Seth_25.jpg
Leeds_Shell_Seth_2_25.jpg

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
You are both correct, it would be nearly impossible to wear out that Vibram 700 sole they came with. My issue is they were great for scooter and motorcycle rides due to the oil resisting sole but they make for terrible winter boots becasue they have no lugs for traction. Since I no longer own a scooter or motorcycle and no longer ride, I decided to have them upgraded to "winter" boots with more traction by Cobblers Plus.

I simply do not wear boots unless it is raining or snowing outside. My wife has been bugging me for years to get a pair suede Chukkas which I may but that would be all I would ever want/need/wear in terms of boots besides these L.L. bean Katahdin Iron Works® Engineer Boots (by Chippewa) shown here and a pair of Bean Boots I have had for so many years I cannot remember how many times the bottoms have been replaced.

Mine in their current state before being shipped to Cobblers Plus.
*** notice the black mark on the left vamp and captoe from using a motorcycle shifter***
View attachment 1513056 View attachment 1513057

Here's mine. I'm not a 100% sure that our boots have the same leather. Mine are almost like a chamois leather. Regrettably, these have not been cleaned in a LONG time and so the burnishing effect that I mentioned isn't as obvious as it otherwise would be but you can see it on the heel counters, front part of the quarters, and the outer toe box.

IMG_0912.jpg

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here's mine. I'm not a 100% sure that our boots have the same leather. Mine are almost like a chamois leather. Regrettably, these have not been cleaned in a LONG time and so the burnishing effect that I mentioned isn't as obvious as it otherwise would be but you can see it on the heel counters, front part of the quarters, and the outer toe box.

View attachment 1513082

It depends on how old they are and if you have V1 or V2 of the boot. You can tell because the v1, which I have circa 2007/2008, appears to have a 270 GYW and the Chippewa logo on the Vibram sole whereas the v2 appears to have a 360 GYW, no logo on the Vibram sole, different sole pattern, and not made by Chippewa. This may also be why they use different but similar leathers.

And, I have never cleaned or conditioned mine which was probably not a good idea.

Last edited:

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
It depends on how old they are and if you have V1 or V2 of the boot. You can tell because the v1, which I have circa 2007/2008, appears to have a 270 GYW and the Chippewa logo on the Vibram sole whereas the v2 appears to have a 360 GYW but no logo on the Vibram sole; V2 also has a different sole pattern. This may also be why they use different but similar leathers.

And, I have never cleaned or conditioned mine which was probably not a good idea.

I think the v2 is not made by Chipp. Mine are also old and I have the same soles as you do. I guess they must have just aged differently? I like mine too. At this point they are the last of my work boot style boots other than my vibergs, which don't count for various reasons.

PANJ

Reaction score
It depends on how old they are and if you have V1 or V2 of the boot. You can tell because the v1, which I have circa 2007/2008, appears to have a 270 GYW and the Chippewa logo on the Vibram sole whereas the v2 appears to have a 360 GYW, no logo on the Vibram sole, different sole pattern, and not made by Chippewa. This may also be why they use different but similar leathers.

It is a shame LL Bean stopped getting these from Chippewa; the newest versions are "imported." Promise that is my last comment about Chipps on the Allen Edmonds appreciation thread (I do appreciate my Normandy boots too)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads