• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walnut carlyles inbound from ebay. Looked like they were older year models but only took a few steps off carpet. Will be my fourth pair. Hopefully being older the quality is better.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you find a pair of acceptable quality you should let us all know.

This isn't the same nightmare scenario as the others. I mean this will be my fourth pair in current inventory.

As a follow up to the other neverending episode, the 6th pair of cigar strands was excellent and made it to my closet. The 6th pair of 5th avenue appeared to also be excellent, but had something wrong with the leather - a large dark spot developed when adding polish. I'm told this is a known occasional defect of some lower quality leathers. Fed up and refusing to exchange for a 7th pair, i'm keeping them and will use leather dye to burnish the toes a darker brown and cover up the blemish.

Last edited:

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chili University on dainite for today snow and slush
20200122_085719.jpg
20200122_175618.jpg

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore the Brogue Suede Strands today and once again confirmed replacing the Dainte heels with plain rubber heels does not affect the performance of the shoes.

Looking at this picture just noticed the right shoe lace had loosened during the over two hours had just spent sitting in a chair at the DMV (yes, had an appointment) while waiting to renewing my license.

If I didn't have an appointment (mine was for 9:00am) would probably still be sitting in a chair at the DMV.

View attachment 1322529

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures.

Shortly after taking this picture a young boy said it was a nice jacket and asked where I got it. Somehow don't think the answer, at Brooks Brothers around 1970 was the answer he was hoping for.

View attachment 1322530

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, a Coronation Chicken sandwich and me.

View attachment 1322531

Having a Coronation Chicken sandwich seemed to be a appropriate way of celebrating the Queen ridding herself of that turbulent couple, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Hewitt.
He's right, it is an excellent coat. I picked up the modern iteration from Brooks Brothers last year. While it is also a nice coat, I am certain that your vintage is superior, such as things go. Pictured here wearing burgundy MacNeil.
IMG_20181229_173504.jpg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1322613

I picked these up as seconds - pair is otherwise flawless. I'm crazy for trying to ignore the spot, right? These things are otherwise perfect, but I've never had a visible nick before...
You won't be able to see that when you're wearing them, and neither will anybody else; if they fit well, and are otherwise flawless, you'd be crazy not to ignore the nick.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
confirmed: I am crazy about shell shoes having nicks. I think I'm going to hold onto them for now. Man the QC on this pair otherwise blows away most firsts I've bought :bounce2:
Nicks and scrapes/scratches add patina and make a pair of footwear one's own. And not that anyone cares, but local store had a sale on MacBook Air, so typing this on the new computer (and keeping the glass of wine well away) Of course, the MacBook was still around the price of one pair of shell something....so shoe fund has to be rebuilt :(

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1322613

I picked these up as seconds - pair is otherwise flawless. I'm crazy for trying to ignore the spot, right? These things are otherwise perfect, but I've never had a visible nick before...
A bit of a judgement call, for sure. I'd lean keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads