• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received my restock of cigars, I filled my two humidors, and my 5 stick travel humidor, about 75 cigars in all.

I feel people who rant and rave about Cuban's don't smoke cigars often and just lust over them because they are hard to get ahold of and people think they are some kind of Holy Grail. Honestly a good Nicaraguan Cigar I feel is much better than any Cuban, and they are much easier to obtain.

Just my 0.02

interesting view...doesn’t really jibe well with on the ground experience I’m afraid. Just to put it in perspective, I’ve got five humidors, the smallest one holds over 1500 cigars and they’re all close to capacity. What can I say, I find things I like and hoard them.

While the mastery of Jose Pepin, Padron and Oliva just to name a short few, is unquestionable. To say they are much better than “Cubans”, speaks to a level of inexperience perhaps. Go and try a Lusitania and if it doesn’t change your cigar smoking life....well.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting view...doesn’t really jibe well with on the ground experience I’m afraid. Just to put it in perspective, I’ve got five humidors, the smallest one holds over 1500 cigars and they’re all close to capacity. What can I say, I find things I like and hoard them.

While the mastery of Jose Pepin, Padron and Oliva just to name a short few, is unquestionable. To say they are much better than “Cubans”, speaks to a level of inexperience perhaps. Go and try a Lusitania and if it doesn’t change your cigar smoking life....well.
To put things into perspective, I have limited Cuban cigar experience because they are much harder to obtain in the U.S. I'm sure there are much better smokes than what I've tried, but to be fair when I can find them it's always the main names that everyone throws around. I have not heard of the brand you speak of but would love to try one given the chance.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Cubans aren't good. I just think people throw the Cuban thing around, but lack any true smoking experience or depth of palate to differentiate a good cigar from a cheap one.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't understand the ill feelings towards Danite in this thread. It will last way longer than leather soles. Why would you want your shoe to wear out faster?
Different perspectives.
Feel is more important than 10000 miles of wear to some. They can also be resoled easily enough. I drive to work, so I don't put tons of miles a day, plus each pair only gets worn 6 times a year on average. Leather soles last plenty long for me!

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Different perspectives.
Feel is more important than 10000 miles of wear to some. They can also be resoled easily enough. I drive to work, so I don't put tons of miles a day, plus each pair only gets worn 6 times a year on average. Leather soles last plenty long for me!
I don't have as big a collection so mine see a little more rotation than that. I do make it a point not to wear the same shoes more than once per week though.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy Cambridge for my wingtip Wednesday submission.
4C8EBBD2-733D-4D0D-B6C1-EB34B7D3BD89.jpeg
Funny that the Independence line came up recently as I had to tell two folks here that I changed my mind on having them in the cull pile (sorry guys). That leather is so soft.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I feel about wearing an insert, I feel like that's putting a band aid on. It may take up some of the looseness, however the shoes will appear to be to big because of the overall length. Then what is the point of having nice shoe's if they look clownish on you?
I promise you neither of these look clownish on me - a half-size of difference is tiny visually, but feels like a lot to your feet. More than that would probably have other problems, most likely lack of security in the heel.

If you can achieve fit with proper sizing, it's certainly the right thing to do. That often isn't an option in pursuing Alden rare shell. In some cases I'd guess using an insert a half-size up might work where the last doesn't match your feet well in the "correct" size.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just received my restock of cigars, I filled my two humidors, and my 5 stick travel humidor, about 75 cigars in all.

I feel people who rant and rave about Cuban's don't smoke cigars often and just lust over them because they are hard to get ahold of and people think they are some kind of Holy Grail. Honestly a good Nicaraguan Cigar I feel is much better than any Cuban, and they are much easier to obtain.

Just my 0.02
I agree on the Nicaraguan, or even Dominican for that matter. Cubans are simply hard to obtain in the USA

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To put things into perspective, I have limited Cuban cigar experience because they are much harder to obtain in the U.S. I'm sure there are much better smokes than what I've tried, but to be fair when I can find them it's always the main names that everyone throws around. I have not heard of the brand you speak of but would love to try one given the chance.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Cubans aren't good. I just think people throw the Cuban thing around, but lack any true smoking experience or depth of palate to differentiate a good cigar from a cheap one.
I have to agree with you and what you say rings true for some who talk Cubans without much experience to draw from. In fact, if you do a little introspection, I believe you may be guilty of that which you speak in this case, yes? It’s likely best not to draw conclusions about a genre, as you said, until a breadth of experience with that genre is achieved.

To be clear in my humidors, I stock many Dominican and Nicaraguan smokes that are as well regarded these days as the Cubans I have. I view this as a boon for me, because it means more delicious cigars for me to enjoy.

If you do want to add another layer to your palate, shoot me a pm and I’ll tell you how you can easily obtain them legally.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the ill feelings towards Danite in this thread. It will last way longer than leather soles. Why would you want your shoe to wear out faster?
Because for me they're stupid degrees of uncomfortable. There are plenty of leather soles with fantastic durability (JR doesn't own that space, though I love their product) and offer great comfort. Alden's Commando sole is awesome, and I'd argue much more versatile/weather-capable.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the oft repeated speculation about the next TS including suede, I really hope the Macneil is an option. Suede LWB’s look great.

(And I hope they use a really excellent suede).
Agree - especially an olive suede...

lemmy127

Reaction score

For me, they're stiff as hell and, in my experience, no less slippery in wet conditions than leather. Couldn't tell you how many times I've almost ate it wearing Dainite soles... they might as well be suicide heels to me. I'd rather just throw on a topy with a subtle tread if I'm concerned about rate of wear.

I'm thinking about making a designated pair of winter shoes. Dainite isn't going to be an option I'm considering. It'll be a Ridgeway/Medway/Victory sole, Vibram 430 full or half sole, or Vibram Raptor half sole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads