• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but what's the difference between the Players 2.0 and the Macneil 2.0 in Brown Grain? They look almost identical to me and a casual google didn't show me anything.
The Players are a shortwing and the MacNeil is a longwing.

buzz123

Reaction score
Walkin' in Memphis in my Natty Shell Strands
gB9OzJO.jpg

These things are extremely comfortable - as good as my McT's already.

Beautiful!

carsport

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm not sure which shoe it is. They aren't parallel, so that makes it harder, but pretty slight.

Certainly your right to return though.

Well this isn't the best photoshop job, I did it on my phone, but it helps visualize what I feel like I'm seeing.

You guys are making me feel like I should go back and get them. Ha

Image 21.jpg

Dd1101

Reaction score
That looks like a standard Chili colored shoe.

About 1-2 years ago they added a new color, "Bob's Chili" (which later became "Dark Chili") which is decidedly different than Chili.

Those are Chili. Were they advertised as such? Or as "Dark Chili"?
I ordered dark chili, took them to the store and it was the lightest chili they have ever seen.

buzz123

Reaction score
My brown bartletts came today but the cap seemed a little off. So I let them hang on to them. No 9.5E in the warehouse so they're "making the replacements for me."

Was I being too picky? It's not just me, it's pretty "off" right?

As a bonus I snuck my alumnus in the photo.

View attachment 787087

Really don't think this would bother me, my fifth avenue 2nds are a bit worse & don't bother me & no one has ever Noticed.

carsport

Reaction score
Really don't think this would bother me, my fifth avenue 2nds are a bit worse & don't bother me & no one has ever Noticed.

That seems to be the consensus. Might sleep on it and go back tomorrow and pick them up. Other than that they were fine with just a little bit of plastic still wedged in the welt and the frayed strands here and there like we're all used to by now.

Thanks for the input everyone.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brown bartletts came today but the cap seemed a little off. So I let them hang on to them. No 9.5E in the warehouse so they're "making the replacements for me."

Was I being too picky? It's not just me, it's pretty "off" right?

As a bonus I snuck my alumnus in the photo.

View attachment 787087

I'm not seeing it. They look dead even to me.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well this isn't the best photoshop job, I did it on my phone, but it helps visualize what I feel like I'm seeing.

You guys are making me feel like I should go back and get them. Ha

View attachment 787147

OK, I see what you mean (now with the crosshairs). I would go back and try the same thing but with the shoes on your feet. Its not enough that it would bother me, but its your prerogative and your money.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering could the AE Verona II Italian Loafers in brown be worn in a more business formal setting such as a with a suit? They are very tempting as they appear they could be worn more dressed up as well as very causally.

I am weighing them against the Brooks Brothers branded but AE made "Presido" dress loafer. Which I bought on the Shoebank for less then $200. And price is kind of an issue since the Verona would be around $150 or so more.

I kind of have doubts about the BB loafer as it's more of a strictly dress loafer while the Verona appears alot more versatile. Also I'm ususally in almost all brands an 11D however the Presido feels quite tight in the toes. Although the Vernona feels kind of the same in the mid-section. Maybe AE's lasts don't work for me? Or maybe they just need to be broken in?

Anyways I was wondering what I should do? Any insights anyone?

The answer to your question about wearing bit loafers with suits might depend on where you will be doing this.

It's very common in Los Angeles (both with and without socks) but it might not be where you will be doing it.

Was at a funeral earlier today (wearing black A-E for Brooks Brothers Strands and black socks). There were a number of people at the funeral wearing suits with bit loafers (both with and without socks).

Since someone is bound to ask, I was one of the two people at the funeral wearing a black tie.

For fans of A-E In The Wild pictures, here's a picture (with my car) before I left to go to the funeral.

P1090631 2.jpg

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better shot of my bal boots. Super comfy for a first wear, especially considering it was a 12 hour day, mostly on my feet. RW inserts certainly helped.
IMG_20170524_232529_053.jpg

And as a slight, but related, bump... Any suggestions on what sock subscription club to join, should I want to wear with these boots... And other AEs?

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered dark chili, took them to the store and it was the lightest chili they have ever seen.

Yeah they're definitely not dark chili. But they look like normal chili, which any SA that's been working more than a few months should recognize. Weird.

drcharlie

Reaction score
Regarding carsport's question about the symmetry of the Bartlett shoes, I did a little photoshop too. I made two yellow crosses that intersect at a 90 degree angle. I bisected the medallions at top, tried to align the cap horizontally, and tried to bisect between the laces. The right shoe seems spot on to me. The left shoe is very close to my eye, which isn't too picky. I think they look great.

Bartlett symmetry.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads