• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh, those PAs in navy look friggin incredible...

Coincidentally, I'm wearing my navy Cornwallis tomorrow. I suggest jumping on these while they have them (@allenedmondsceo, any chance midnight navy becomes a staple color?)

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ugh, those PAs in navy look friggin incredible...

Coincidentally, I'm wearing my navy Cornwallis tomorrow. I suggest jumping on these while they have them (@allenedmondsceo , any chance midnight navy becomes a staple color?)

Ugh is right once you see the price though. Smart marketing on AE's part by putting a shoe I badly want and testing if I'll bite. But I just bought a navy suede Park Ave, so I'll have to weigh this one carefully.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Allen Edmonds's split toe offerings? I hope to add a pair to my collection, and like the Delray, but I would like a pair versatile enough to wear with either suits or casual clothes, and the Delray seems a little dressy, like if I were to take a pair to an out of town wedding I would also need to bring a second pair of more casual shoes. Is a chili LaSalle, which reminds me of the model that Peal makes for Brooks Brothers, appreciably more casual? Is it worthwhile to save up for a shall cordovan Bradley? The pictures I've seen of Bradleys make the stitching on the toe and apron look quite chunky, which looks awesome for casual wear, but might be too casual for a suit? What are your thoughts?

Please excuse the re-post from about 4 months back. I also started to wonder where the split toe fell in terms of causal versus dressy. After looking closely at the toes I began to appreciate the subtle variations in assembly, sole, length of split and style of welt that pushes one shoe into the dressier category and another towards the casual. The Stockbridge is a good example of the more casual. It has exposed leather edges on the split and vamp stitching and rubber soles for a far more casual appearance.

The Ashton is remarkably similar, yet some would argue it is even more causal. While the vamp is stitched down as opposed to exposed, the joint in the split is still exposed. More importantly, the storm last is double stitched for a far more rugged and causal appearance. The sole is still rubber as opposed to leather.

The Malone, recently closed out in the shoebank, is still quite causal with a rubber sole, and double stitched welt. The internally joined split toe joint is accompanied by a very delicate vamp seam that is machine closed. This is a faux version of the hand stitch seen later in the Bradley.

The Walton starts to move up the casual scale towards dressier. The split toe seam is no longer exposed as it is joined internally. The vamp is sewn down with three rows of stitching as opposed to two. The sole is a single oak leather, but it is still a storm welt without the double stitch into the side of the shoe.

The LeSalle is getting dressier with the single oak sole, standard welt, internally joined split toe and attractive second row of vamp and split toe stitching.

The Bradley has a prominent line of stitching in the vamp and split toe. This style is usually referred to as a Norwegian Split Toe or NST for short. This double stitching is actually going through the single layer as opposed to closing a joint. This can be done with a machine, but some companies like Alden, do this by hand at 4.5 stitches per inch. I am not aware which method is used by AE. It is common in some cordovan shoes, but also used in calf. The single oak sole places this in the middle ground of dressy.

The length of the split toe stitch and profile of the toe adds to the dressier style of the shoe. It seems longer split toe seams are seen in dressier shoes, like the Delray.

The length of the split toe stitch, along with hand stitching, is a hallmark of some of the far more expensive shoes. A good example is the toe of this $1500 Sutor Mantellassi loafer.

Unfortunately, the Dickson is an example of AEs failure to self edit in the split toe length department, with fairly horrid results.

So, those seem to be the variables and now you will have far more to consider when selecting several pairs of split toe shoes for the closet. And you likely never wanted to think this much about the subject.

cnation

Reaction score
Holy **** guys, there's now a navy Park Ave and grey Strand on the website. Full retail price though. Navy Strands are also back, but again, full retail.

aww man now i got some thinking to do. i really wanted shells during the RDA sale. But midnight navy were my dream color. I hope they don't get soldout before the sale

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ugh is right once you see the price though. Smart marketing on AE's part by putting a shoe I badly want and testing if I'll bite.  But I just bought a navy suede Park Ave, so I'll have to weigh this one carefully. 

I don't have any PA's, so this is more tempting for me. That said, I have 2 pairs of Strands (bourbon and chocolate suede), and the navy ones are kind of calling my name.

Realistically, my next navy shoe will probably be the navy suede Acheson. I tried one on last week and loved it, so that may be in my not to distant future...

Edit: also, i really want to like the Rudolph more, but (admittedly, because of the name) I see it as a Christmas season shoe, and I like the Jingle Bell Mok so much more.

Edit #2: the more I look at those navy PA's, the more I think AE knocked the ball out of the park (avenue- hah) with these. I hope the midnight navy gets more heavily utilized, I would love the see the Grayson in this.

Last edited:

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also think I might have to go a size down for my left foot HM too. The 13Bs are really almost as wide as my 13D Gobis, and I'm afraid the Chromexcel will break even worse.

What do you mean by the Chromexcel breaking in worse? I'm actually considering going up in length in my HM due to tightness over the top of my big toe.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have any PA's, so this is more tempting for me. That said, I have 2 pairs of Strands (bourbon and chocolate suede), and the navy ones are kind of calling my name.

Realistically, my next navy shoe will probably be the navy suede Acheson. I tried one on last week and loved it, so that may be in my not to distant future...

Edit: also, i really want to like the Rudolph more, but (admittedly, because of the name) I see it as a Christmas season shoe, and I like the Jingle Bell Mok so much more.

Edit #2: the more I look at those navy PA's, the more I think AE knocked the ball out of the park (avenue- hah) with these. I hope the midnight navy gets more heavily utilized, I would love the see the Grayson in this.

A while back I saw one of the old navy shell Graysons - lone pair, not in my size. I still don't think I've seen anything that looked as good to this day.

Oinkedmoo

Reaction score
These Daltons are ready for the fall!

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bourbon McAs on a rainy Thursday. Come on weekend.....

Side note: as a native Charlottean and current resident, last nights events disgust me. Carry on.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I may be alone on this but I'm not a fan of the grey at all. I cannot picture pairing them with anything and they just look to me like a worn out shoe. Love navy though, already have the strands so I'm not sure I need more. The rudolph is clever but I think it is a shoe I'd have to explain, the jingle bell mok is clearly just Christmas.

Newberry

Reaction score

I may be alone on this but I'm not a fan of the grey at all. I cannot picture pairing them with anything and they just look to me like a worn out shoe. Love navy though, already have the strands so I'm not sure I need more. The rudolph is clever but I think it is a shoe I'd have to explain, the jingle bell mok is clearly just Christmas.

I'm not a big fan of grey either. I'll only wear grey shoes when it's suede.

Newberry

Reaction score

I have the exact same pair Bleecker street chili for sale. What size are you? PM me if interested.

How much wear do they have? I'm a size 8D in 90% of AE shoes. I belive the Bleecker Street on the 5 last and if that's true than I'm definitely an 8D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads