• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your satisfaction with the Boone will depend on why you are buying them and how you envision them in your wardrobe. I ordered a pair because I enjoyed my suede MacNeils. For me, their softness made them look more causal than I wanted. My biggest issue was the tight fit in the vamp. The shoes also closed poorly for my foot shape and left a very wide ga that exceeded my personal tolerance.

The suede MacNeil, in contrast, had more leather and the closure was more than sufficient.

Closure of similar calf shoes.

Given these issues I sent them back and I will keep my eyes open for something else.

Not that I need any more pairs at this point but I'm glad you posted this because at their price it was intriguing. After actually seeing it in those pictures you posted I don't think I like the style. Im happy this is the case because as it is I struggle to wear my "casual" shoes. Casual Fridays and weekends are about the only time I can. Need more days... to wear more shoes.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you the eyelets on the vamp don't come together completely when tying a shoe, does that mean it doesn't fit well?

Not necessarily. The footbed will compress during break in, which will get you more closure, so some separation is normal in the beginning, and IMO up to 1/2 inch at the top, after break in is fine (largely personal preference). There are many factors though in determining fit, eyelet stay closure is just part of it. The more quality shoes you try out, the better you will get at determining what works best for you.

Last edited:

Scarlet

Reaction score
Two things:

Tried my Road Warriors inserts in my Larchmonts. Made them feel more cramped but didn't help the heel slip in my left one.
Is it possible to get a shoe recrafted to a smaller size? Like, going from 13B to 12B?

I also think I might have to go a size down for my left foot HM too. The 13Bs are really almost as wide as my 13D Gobis, and I'm afraid the Chromexcel will break even worse.
If I ordered a pair of 12Bs, would I be able to return the left 12B and the right 13B? I haven't worn the larger pair.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two things:

Tried my Road Warriors inserts in my Larchmonts. Made them feel more cramped but didn't help the heel slip in my left one.
Is it possible to get a shoe recrafted to a smaller size? Like, going from 13B to 12B?

I also think I might have to go a size down for my left foot HM too. The 13Bs are really almost as wide as my 13D Gobis, and I'm afraid the Chromexcel will break even worse.
If I ordered a pair of 12Bs, would I be able to return the left 12B and the right 13B? I haven't worn the larger pair.

You can order a custom pair of two different sizes, but you can't mix them yourself.
I think that a left 13B and a right 12B would probably work better for me too.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Allen Edmonds's split toe offerings? I hope to add a pair to my collection, and like the Delray, but I would like a pair versatile enough to wear with either suits or casual clothes, and the Delray seems a little dressy, like if I were to take a pair to an out of town wedding I would also need to bring a second pair of more casual shoes. Is a chili LaSalle, which reminds me of the model that Peal makes for Brooks Brothers, appreciably more casual? Is it worthwhile to save up for a shall cordovan Bradley? The pictures I've seen of Bradleys make the stitching on the toe and apron look quite chunky, which looks awesome for casual wear, but might be too casual for a suit? What are your thoughts?

I'm not into split toe all that much. I've seen a pair or two that I think look nice, but I don't think they fit my personal style. So my opinion is biased.

While the Bradley is OK (I don't think its as bad as the Walton, nor as nice as the LaSalle ), the Brentwood is more my thing. Though, the Brentwood is not a split toe
facepalm.gif
. I think that the lack of the split makes the Brentwood plenty OK to wear with a suit for most occasions in todays world. Too bad they don't make it anymore.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you guys think of Allen Edmonds's split toe offerings? I hope to add a pair to my collection, and like the Delray, but I would like a pair versatile enough to wear with either suits or casual clothes, and the Delray seems a little dressy, like if I were to take a pair to an out of town wedding I would also need to bring a second pair of more casual shoes. Is a chili LaSalle, which reminds me of the model that Peal makes for Brooks Brothers, appreciably more casual? Is it worthwhile to save up for a shall cordovan Bradley? The pictures I've seen of Bradleys make the stitching on the toe and apron look quite chunky, which looks awesome for casual wear, but might be too casual for a suit? What are your thoughts?

The Bradley seems somewhat casual to me, based on that stitching (which I love).
I wasn't a huge fan of the Delray until I saw them in person. Now I have a pair!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Delray is the most dressy of the three in my opinion. The Lasalle is nearly the same shoe, but has s lightly thicker stitching. I prefer the Lasalle, but the downside is that the shoe is not great for the warm days. The poron insole makes it hot. The Delray would be better in this way, but it’s also less comfortable. The Bradley is probably the most versatile, but I’m not a big fan of the thick stitching. I don’t wear the Lasalles casually, as they look out of place with jeans.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LaSalle

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A little late to the party today, left my phone at home. Merlot Strands today. Excuse the horrible indoor picture quality. The color is amazing.

Last edited:

RTD1

Reaction score

I think your satisfaction with the Boone will depend on why you are buying them and how you envision them in your wardrobe. I ordered a pair because I enjoyed my suede MacNeils. For me, their softness made them look more causal than I wanted. My biggest issue was the tight fit in the vamp. The shoes also closed poorly for my foot shape and left a very wide ga that exceeded my personal tolerance. The suede MacNeil, in contrast, had more leather and the closure was more than sufficient. Closure of similar calf shoes. Given these issues I sent them back and I will keep my eyes open for something else.
Thanks for posting. They look blobbier than I thought. BTW, what are those pebble grain wingtips in the last pic?

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not into split toe all that much. I've seen a pair or two that I think look nice, but I don't think they fit my personal style. So my opinion is biased.

While the Bradley is OK (I don't think its as bad as the Walton, nor as nice as the LaSalle ), the Brentwood is more my thing. Though, the Brentwood is not a split toe
facepalm.gif
. I think that the lack of the split makes the Brentwood plenty OK to wear with a suit for most occasions in todays world. Too bad they don't make it anymore.

I'm definitely not a split toe guy but I think it can work better with certain colors. I've tried the Lasalle & Delray in the past in black and I thought they looked absolutely awful, but I've seen forum members post pics and they look pretty damn good. I picked up a pair of chili Walton 1sts (BCF baby!) and probably receive more compliments on those things than many others. Plus the 73 last fit is really good for me.

Vitals

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Road Warrior collection? Specifically the LGA. I've resisted purchasing a pair, primarily due to the Maddison XL sole, but I've been dealing with plantar faciatis for over a year now and have come to the realization that my AEs are not doing my feet any favors. Any input regarding their comfort compared to regular AEs would be much appreciated.

I've got a pair of LGA's for days in which I'll be walking over five miles. They feel like I'm wearing sneakers, very comfortable and very light.
My plantar fasciitis will get upset if I walk that distance in the wrong shoe, but never with the LGA's, or my dainite Fifth Avenues.
As already stated, the leather quality is not as nice as compared to proper dress shoes, but they still look better than 95% of the shoes everyone else on the street is wearing.

If I recall correctly, they only cost $180 during the seconds sale.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks!

Which wax do you recommend?

I use kiwi neutral on my Strands mostly, sometimes mixing in a dark brown for a moderate antique look.

Not sure if you know how to properly shine a shoe, but here is my method:

1. Apply leather conditioner (Bick 4 is what I mainly use, but also Saphir Renovateur or Lexol), let dry, then brush.
2. Apply shoe cream (I typically use Meltonian neutral on my walnut shoes, mixing in some AE walnut polish from time to time to add color), let dry and brush.
3. Apply a layer of wax polish, let dry and buff with a shine cloth or brush. For a new shoe, you can do this twice.
4. Apply additional coats of wax to the toe cap and heels to develop a nice shine. You can go for a spit shine for your last coat if you know how to do this.

After this, you should have a nice finish on the areas of the shoe that you beat up the most (toe cap/heels).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads