• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

unsuitable

Reaction score
I have also been looking for Strands for myself on shoebank for a while - no love. I did score some here from the B&S forum and I am happy. But I would still be waiting on shoebank 2nds if hadn't.

Brief Public Service Announcement: Just because you see a sale Addison Walnut in stock in your size at 5am DO NOT assume that you can buy if for $49 after work later that day. Don't ask me how I know this.

When I get back home I have some Walnut Shell Daltons to show off. IOU pics.

Echoes14

Reaction score

Nordstrom Rack score! They rarely have anything in my size. Today: The Harrison for $219. Seem to be first quality. Figured I'd pick them up, since they fit my high instep better than the 5 last, and I have no black cap toe bals.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[/URL]

Nordstrom Rack score! They rarely have anything in my size. Today: The Harrison for $219. Seem to be first quality. Figured I'd pick them up, since they fit my high instep better than the 5 last, and I have no black cap toe bals.
Major score indeed. I have been searching various NR's because I know some of these are still in the wild. Congrats!

Newberry

Reaction score

Nice! I actually plan on passing by my local Rack today. Hope I find something interesting in my size.

Echoes14

Reaction score
There were several pair of Kenilworths, some Madison Ave, a Kirkwood, and a beat up pair of Fairfax at the MOA store.

Last edited:

Uncle

Reaction score

I've had an unworn pair of McAllisters sitting on my shoe rack for the better part of 6 months now. I finally ordered some heel savers / caps / protectors / whatever you'd like to call them since I live in NYC and do a ton of walking. I want to put them on before the first wear but the nails that came with the caps seem outrageously long, possibly long enough to stick into the heel bed of the shoe sole. Has anyone else experience this issue? If so, any idea where I can order more realistic nails to finish the application?
try this guy inside the credit Suisse blding on the SE corner of Park and 25th. For 6 bucks he'll put tip and heel protectors/taps in your choice of black or clear. He hasn't penetrated my insoles yet! Eli is his name.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of my shoes got a rest because I never made it out of the house today. But, on the bright side, I got to spend nine hours on a conference call. Damn, it feels good to be in IT.

It's Miller time! Ha, just kidding. Yuck.

Last edited:

mingus2112

Reaction score

All of my shoes got a rest because I never made it out of the house today. But, on the bright side, I got to spend nine hours on a conference call. Damn, it feels good to be in IT.

It's Miller time! Ha, just kidding. Yuck.

That sounds like me on some days. But then I get a craving and have to go out of the house and end up dressing nice just to wear some nice shoes! 9 hours, though, that would be almost 3x my longest!

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see people thinking this way about gray shoes. I've got a gray pair of Black Hills, as oxymoronic as that sounds. I like them, just not as much as some of my other pairs, but that's mostly because I really like a lot of my pairs. For pure comfort, though, they're tough to beat.

For me, gray works best as a counterpoint to denim, especially when you have a darker shirt on that's black or gray or even navy. To me, black shoes can often look a bit too formal, and so they're not my preferred color. I like that the Black Hills are a rougher leather that skews casual and the gray color keeps pushing it in the casual direction. For a shoe like the Strand or the Cornwallis, it might not make a lot of sense to most to wear with denim (even though I've worn my oxblood Strands with jeans many times). But, if that's your style, you can definitely rock the bejesus out of gray.

If I had a wardrobe that skewed more formal/dressier, I'd probably avoid these new gray offerings. But, since I don't, I'm more than willing to snag one of these at a later date once all the nay-sayers have passed them over and they go on super-duper Shoebank clearance.

In the meanwhile, I'm doing my best to restrain myself from looking at the navy stuff. It's already really hard to resist the blue Neumoks on Shoebank. The wallet says "no" right now, even though the inner-weasel is screaming, "Yes! Yes! A thousand times, yes!"
I thought this was a damn good summary - absolutely hit the nail on the head regarding the gray imo. I was probably a little more extreme - I didn't like it enough even on the casual denim stuff like the black hills. I had a 1st quality pair that was I believe 127 (maybe even less, can't remember now). Just couldn't get past the fact that it looked like a washed out black. Like it needed less consistency, more texture or something. Gladly paid more for the walnut. With more formal dressy stuff like the park ave, now way. I actually tried the old gray park ave. Definitely a faded black look to it. Maybe the gray styles will do better this time around.

The navy stuff is far better. The blue neumok....sort of torn. Passed on it easily when it was brand new - it's a denim shoe (I ain't wearing no shorts) and it's just hard pairing dark antiquated blue with blue. They are getting pretty cheap though.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought this was a damn good summary - absolutely hit the nail on the head regarding the gray imo.  I was probably a little more extreme - I didn't like it enough even on the casual denim stuff like the black hills.  I had a 1st quality pair that was I believe 127 (maybe even less, can't remember now).  Just couldn't get past the fact that it looked like a washed out black.  Like it needed less consistency, more texture or something.  Gladly paid more for the walnut.  With more formal dressy stuff like the park ave, now way.  I actually tried the old gray park ave.  Definitely a faded black look to it.  Maybe the gray styles will do better this time around.

The navy stuff is far better.  The blue neumok....sort of torn.  Passed on it easily when it was brand new - it's a denim shoe (I ain't wearing no shorts) and it's just hard pairing dark antiquated blue with blue.  They are getting pretty cheap though.

How about the Park Ave in gray? I don't see that option. Do you have anything to say about that?

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my big issue I think- I wear a suit 5 days a week, so most of my shoes are dressier.

Me too. I wear a suit as well and I like to be able to wear shoes that work with the suit and tie. The gray to me is nice, refreshing and different. I don't own a pair of gray shoes except for the saddle Pierponts but they have gray and navy saddle. I am looking forward to adding something gray to the collection. The question is which one?
satisfied.gif

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought this was a damn good summary - absolutely hit the nail on the head regarding the gray imo. I was probably a little more extreme - I didn't like it enough even on the casual denim stuff like the black hills. I had a 1st quality pair that was I believe 127 (maybe even less, can't remember now). Just couldn't get past the fact that it looked like a washed out black. Like it needed less consistency, more texture or something. Gladly paid more for the walnut. With more formal dressy stuff like the park ave, now way. I actually tried the old gray park ave. Definitely a faded black look to it. Maybe the gray styles will do better this time around.

The navy stuff is far better. The blue neumok....sort of torn. Passed on it easily when it was brand new - it's a denim shoe (I ain't wearing no shorts) and it's just hard pairing dark antiquated blue with blue. They are getting pretty cheap though.

Did not care at all for the PA in Gray. Looked like faded black or old shoes. The Neumok 2.0 was too green for me. We shall see...

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to a shoebank SA they saw VERY few seconds from the limited offering. If I recall it was its own separate shoe rather than being included in the available colors. I don't think this is intended to be a limited run as it was before. It may not be a long term color depending on how well it does but it does seem like it is intentionally being added to the color lineup to stay at least beyond a limited offering.

I think everyone should get the Midnight Blue, BUT be warned it is almost black in certain light. Don't be expecting Navy as it's not that. It's between black and Deep Navy blue. You can see it best in the contrast in my pic below. The first one is a Strand Midnight Blue, then in the Middle is the Cornwallis Midnight blue. They are often mistaken for black so I added blue laces which helps.

TexasTexter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think everyone should get the Midnight Blue, BUT be warned it is almost black in certain light. Don't be expecting Navy as it's not that. It's between black and Deep Navy blue. You can see it best in the contrast in my pic below. The first one is a Strand Midnight Blue, then in the Middle is the Cornwallis Midnight blue. They are often mistaken for black so I added blue laces which helps. The Neumok is more of a Navy IMHO. The Midnight blue is black with a hint of blue tint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads