• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrs311

Reaction score

Both are 10D and the fit is similar between them. The rogue seems a bit stubbier but not noticeably so when on the foot. The only last that didn't fit me well on 10D was the Franciscan which had bad slip, but they were also seconds so it could have just been a wide "mouth" from inconsistent construction.

I think the 8 is my favorite both fit-wise and aesthetically, but there aren't many options.

Last edited:

robster35

Reaction score

On the upside, I feel like I made out pretty well in the recent sale. $177 Walnut Rogue firsts and $137 Oxblood McGregors seconds. The oxblood in particular I was pleasantly surprised with the color. Prior to this I was 0/3 for seconds, all due to egregious tiger striping. I was expecting to get a marbled purple monstrosity to send back, but it's actually close to the old Merlot color.

Pics

Broguing looks uneven on the back

Strip of brouging is peeling (more apparent when you compare to other areas)

love those oxblood mcgregors. shoebank still has a pair in my size. tempting

gatszu

Reaction score
@FaRKle I agree with @Neo1 the 201 is not longer, but has much more volume. What is your size on the brannock? The fact that you fit well in 7EE 511 last, I think your size may be 6.5EEE in the 65-last. Length wise, 511 7EE, 65 6.5EEE, and 201 6.5 EEE are all the same, 201 6.5eee has more volume than the other two. 65 7EE is more narrow than 65 6.5EEE, but is slightly longer. 65 7EEE has about the same volume as 201 6.5 EEE, but the 201 6.5EEE is shorter.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HA! Glad that worked out. I have to admit, if your going to pay full price (and can wait if you have an uncommon size), Nordstroms return policy is a pretty good deal. The sad part is, if you do have an uncommon size, it seems the AE physical stores have less and less stock everyday.

I got those Strands for $265 during their anniversary sale. That is a tremendous deal.

tkebh979

Reaction score
Is this also serving as the AE kvetch thread 2016? In the last couple weeks, I've taken a chance on shipping 3 bourbon firsts understanding that the burnishing and coloration could be less than ideal or consistent ... and while I've been pleasantly surprised with the color (3-for-3 on not being the weird yellow-green color), all had construction flaws that other 1st quality GYW shoes at this price point simply don't have (stitching through brogue holes, stretched panels leading to ovular brogue holes, misaligned brouge holes, panels not meeting at the heel seam, sloppy cutting of leather)... no photos ... I just didn't feel right taking pics of flaws in store after raising my concerns to the SA. SA said that human error should be expected, tolerated, and celebrated in a handmade product (so give me your money)... I looked at her like I would a child that told me babies come from a stork.

My first big-boy shoes were some brown PAs about 5 years back that I've loved, recrafted, and loved some more. I'm not as prolific as many on this forum, but I've gotten into about a dozen other pairs that, along with the PAs, are solidly in my rotation over the past 5 years. In the past year, I've probably tried another dozen and returned or rejected all but three. AE is starting to feel like a first love that broke my heart... I keep going back to her only for her to cheat on me over and over. At some point... you realize she's taking advantage of you and move on... but all I want her to say is I'm sorry and make an effort to improve. In between, I've started seeing these Spanish and Portuguese ladies... and while they're showing me a good time, I miss the good old days with my stout, midwestern girl.

If I should take my garment rending, gravel-though-the-hair bit to another thread, please let me know.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear black shoes very often, but today I went with the black Fifth Avenues

Newberry

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the AE Clarks Street Casual Shoes? Anything positive or negative about them? Couple days ago I ordered a pair on the AE website for $157 and I just couldn't say no to that deal.

gjdgjdgjd

Reaction score
I am looking to pick up my first pair of AE boots. I am set on the Dalton with dainite sole. I am torn between two colors - black and walnut. Any advice on this? Anyone have pics in black? There are millions of pics in walnut.

My current relatively small AE lineup is: black FA, walnut McGregors,brown Norwhich. My usual work dress is chinos/jeans and dress shirt.

What sayeth the forum?

Thank you.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone have any experience with the AE Clarks Street Casual Shoes? Anything positive or negative about them? Couple days ago I ordered a pair on the AE website for $157 and I just couldn't say no to that deal.

I bought the Clark Street at Thanksgiving. The shoe never did much for me on the AE website, but I was in an AE store and I really liked them. I got the brown version. Great business casual / casual shoe and the Dainite sole is great for rainy days. I have worn them with everything from jeans to flannels and they look great. Very comfortable for me right out of the box. And the chromexcel is very durable and easy to care for.

Here are my Clark Streets

Chris

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am looking to pick up my first pair of AE boots. I am set on the Dalton with dainite sole. I am torn between two colors - black and walnut. Any advice on this? Anyone have pics in black? There are millions of pics in walnut.

My current relatively small AE lineup is: black FA, walnut McGregors,brown Norwhich. My usual work dress is chinos/jeans and dress shirt.

What sayeth the forum?

Thank you.

My personal opinion is the walnut. For me, black is a bit formal and the Dalton is not that formal to me.

However, I do have the black Odenwald (local store owner convinced me to try them) and I really like them with denim. But they have the brown edge / welt, light colored laces, and exposed eyelets.

So I guess I'm kind of on the fence. I think the black Daltons would work with the jeans part of your dress code, but I don't know how well it would work with the rest.

The most important thing is which one you like better.

Chris

Newberry

Reaction score

I bought the Clark Street at Thanksgiving. The shoe never did much for me on the AE website, but I was in an AE store and I really liked them. I got the brown version. Great business casual / casual shoe and the Dainite sole is great for rainy days. I have worn them with everything from jeans to flannels and they look great. Very comfortable for me right out of the box. And the chromexcel is very durable and easy to care for.

Chris

Nice! Those look great. Do they scratch easily like people say they do?

tkebh979

Reaction score

Chris

Out of curiosity, how regularly do you wear these? I was thinking of dipping my toe into the apron/split-toe world with these guys and use them in a smart casual setting (sport coat and slacks, chinos being too informal) but was concerned the CXL would break in too heavily for such use, lending itself more to the chinos/jeans milieu.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice! Those look great. Do they scratch easily like people say they do?

I haven't noticed any scratching. But the chromexcel is great - any small blemish disappears with brushing or simply rubbing your finger on it.

Middlife

Reaction score

What sayeth the forum?

Thank you.
Funny you should post this. I just ordered my first pair of AE boots about 30 minutes ago when I saw that a pair of walnut dainite Daltons in my size on the bank. $197 just seemed to good to pass up. I probably would have still gone with the walnut even if I had a choice of black in my size.

I also have the same 3 color shoes in my lineup as you do and dress similarly for work. Walnut seems to show off the Dalton a bit better than black to me and it just works so well with denim. I've never seen them in person but based on pictures online they do both look good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads