Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

Does any have advice on how I can fix this blemish? These are firsts Strands purchased during the October sale. It almost looks like the finish is peeling off near the seams. Any suggestions? I've worn them less than ten times, as I only wear black shoes for formal meetings.

Of course I could polish over it, but I have 7 pairs of AE and none have ever had this issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

I'd contact AE Customer Service. I'd be very surprised if they don't replace the shoes (unless you think something you've done caused it - doesn't sound like it...)

3. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

If you are close to the store, take them there and ask them what you can do. It does look like the finish is flaking off there.

4. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I do live near a store, but the service there is somewhat frustrating. This pair was actually an exchange from the first I purchased, which had terrible bowing on one shoe such that I could stick my fingers in the side when standing still. I brought them in to demonstrate, and the SA basically said "they're handcrafted shoes, what do you expect". she reluctantly offered to send me a new pair, but was clearly burdened by the transaction as if it was an unreasonable request and I was oblivious to the craftsmanship of a handmade shoe. Remarkably, she always seems to be working when I got there, so I prefer to just go through the website, I imagine she would be less than pleased to exchange a 5 month old pair of shoes.

I'll go through the website and send pictures which should hopefully save me a trip.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016

5. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

My shell strands finally here.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dd1101

Dd1101 Senior member

7. jrs311

jrs311 Well-Known Member

On the upside, I feel like I made out pretty well in the recent sale. $177 Walnut Rogue firsts and $137 Oxblood McGregors seconds. The oxblood in particular I was pleasantly surprised with the color. Prior to this I was 0/3 for seconds, all due to egregious tiger striping. I was expecting to get a marbled purple monstrosity to send back, but it's actually close to the old Merlot color.

Pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Broguing looks uneven on the back
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Strip of brouging is peeling (more apparent when you compare to other areas)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I wasn't even looking for another pair of boots. But I hit that "buy it now" button without 10 seconds of hesitation.
    Hypothetically.

9. texas9

texas9 Member

Looks fine, Matt. I think I am also a 12B. I tried them at Nordstrom today. Only issue is there is heel slippage, though no slippage when I laced them tightly. Should I be concerned about the extra space length-wise (see below?). I appreciate your help in my AE shoe fitting journey!

[​IMG]

10. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Damn those rogues look nice. Didn't someone get them in shell awhile back? That might be a worthwhile makeup. With brass eyelets...

11. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

I've been wearing them all night and they are already starting to feel fantastic. The best part is that I can feel the support that the narrow shoe is giving my arches, that I really have never had before. My ankles also don't slouch in like they did on a wider shoe. The added bonus is that the narrower show makes it look more sleek. I'm ecstatic and can't wait to get more. A true game changer. Your V-gaps still look pretty pronounced, mine are much smaller. I also think you should tie a bal really as tight as you can stand it, that might eradicate your heel slippage. I'm glad that you are getting closer to figuring it out!

12. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

13. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Sounds like you'd rather want to call CAC then. Just for fun you might also start a discussion with the SA about the meaning of "hand"made ;)

14. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

Does anyone else feel like the 201 last fits really long? I'm shipping my SMU shell Bartletts back to AE tomorrow. These Bartletts look (and feel) at least a full size too long...

Here's some pics of the fit with marks where the widest parts of my feet sit. For reference I've also included the same on some 65 last shoes that both fit much better.

Bartlett size 7EEE:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Park Ave, size 7.5 EE (can get a bit too snug in the ball of the foot):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lexington, size 7EEE, feels great to me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

HA! Glad that worked out. I have to admit, if your going to pay full price (and can wait if you have an uncommon size), Nordstroms return policy is a pretty good deal. The sad part is, if you do have an uncommon size, it seems the AE physical stores have less and less stock everyday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.