• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd contact AE Customer Service. I'd be very surprised if they don't replace the shoes (unless you think something you've done caused it - doesn't sound like it...)

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does any have advice on how I can fix this blemish? These are firsts Strands purchased during the October sale. It almost looks like the finish is peeling off near the seams. Any suggestions? I've worn them less than ten times, as I only wear black shoes for formal meetings. Of course I could polish over it, but I have 7 pairs of AE and none have ever had this issue.
If you are close to the store, take them there and ask them what you can do. It does look like the finish is flaking off there.

jrs311

Reaction score

I'd contact AE Customer Service.  I'd be very surprised if they don't replace the shoes (unless you think something you've done caused it - doesn't sound like it...)

If you are close to the store, take them there and ask them what you can do. It does look like the finish is flaking off there.

Thanks, I do live near a store, but the service there is somewhat frustrating. This pair was actually an exchange from the first I purchased, which had terrible bowing on one shoe such that I could stick my fingers in the side when standing still. I brought them in to demonstrate, and the SA basically said "they're handcrafted shoes, what do you expect". she reluctantly offered to send me a new pair, but was clearly burdened by the transaction as if it was an unreasonable request and I was oblivious to the craftsmanship of a handmade shoe. Remarkably, she always seems to be working when I got there, so I prefer to just go through the website, I imagine she would be less than pleased to exchange a 5 month old pair of shoes.

I'll go through the website and send pictures which should hopefully save me a trip.

Last edited:

Dd1101

Reaction score
My shell strands finally here.

Last edited:

jrs311

Reaction score
On the upside, I feel like I made out pretty well in the recent sale. $177 Walnut Rogue firsts and $137 Oxblood McGregors seconds. The oxblood in particular I was pleasantly surprised with the color. Prior to this I was 0/3 for seconds, all due to egregious tiger striping. I was expecting to get a marbled purple monstrosity to send back, but it's actually close to the old Merlot color.

Pics

Broguing looks uneven on the back

Strip of brouging is peeling (more apparent when you compare to other areas)

texas9

Reaction score
My feet in these new 12Bs. What do you all think of the fit, particularly where the break is on my left (1/4 size shorter) foot?

Can't tell you how good it feels to have a good fit in my mid foot / arch after having worn shoes too wide my whole life.
Looks fine, Matt. I think I am also a 12B. I tried them at Nordstrom today. Only issue is there is heel slippage, though no slippage when I laced them tightly. Should I be concerned about the extra space length-wise (see below?). I appreciate your help in my AE shoe fitting journey!

Last edited:

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn those rogues look nice. Didn't someone get them in shell awhile back? That might be a worthwhile makeup. With brass eyelets...

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks fine, Matt. I think I am also a 12B. I tried them at Nordstrom today. Only issue is there is heel slippage, though no slippage when I laced them tightly. Should I be concerned about the extra space length-wise (see below?). I appreciate your help in my AE shoe fitting journey!
I've been wearing them all night and they are already starting to feel fantastic. The best part is that I can feel the support that the narrow shoe is giving my arches, that I really have never had before. My ankles also don't slouch in like they did on a wider shoe. The added bonus is that the narrower show makes it look more sleek. I'm ecstatic and can't wait to get more. A true game changer. Your V-gaps still look pretty pronounced, mine are much smaller. I also think you should tie a bal really as tight as you can stand it, that might eradicate your heel slippage. I'm glad that you are getting closer to figuring it out!

Middlife

Reaction score
On the upside, I feel like I made out pretty well in the recent sale. $177 Walnut Rogue firsts and $137 Oxblood McGregors seconds. The oxblood in particular I was pleasantly surprised with the color. Prior to this I was 0/3 for seconds, all due to egregious tiger striping. I was expecting to get a marbled purple monstrosity to send back, but it's actually close to the old Merlot color.

Nice! What sizes did you get and how does the fit compare?

tharkun

Reaction score

Thanks, I do live near a store, but the service there is somewhat frustrating. This pair was actually an exchange from the first I purchased, which had terrible bowing on one shoe such that I could stick my fingers in the side when standing still. I brought them in to demonstrate, and the SA basically said "they're handcrafted shoes, what do you expect". she reluctantly offered to send me a new pair, but was clearly burdened by the transaction as if it was an unreasonable request and I was oblivious to the craftsmanship of a handmade shoe. Remarkably, she always seems to be working when I got there, so I prefer to just go through the website, I imagine she would be less than pleased to exchange a 5 month old pair of shoes.

I'll go through the website and send pictures which should hopefully save me a trip.

Sounds like you'd rather want to call CAC then. Just for fun you might also start a discussion with the SA about the meaning of "hand"made ;)

FaRKle

Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like the 201 last fits really long? I'm shipping my SMU shell Bartletts back to AE tomorrow. These Bartletts look (and feel) at least a full size too long...

Here's some pics of the fit with marks where the widest parts of my feet sit. For reference I've also included the same on some 65 last shoes that both fit much better.

Bartlett size 7EEE:

Park Ave, size 7.5 EE (can get a bit too snug in the ball of the foot):

Lexington, size 7EEE, feels great to me!

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about to head home to my 12B walnut Strands that are sitting on the porch that Nordstrom exchanged no questions asked. That place is a godsend.

HA! Glad that worked out. I have to admit, if your going to pay full price (and can wait if you have an uncommon size), Nordstroms return policy is a pretty good deal. The sad part is, if you do have an uncommon size, it seems the AE physical stores have less and less stock everyday.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like the 201 last fits really long? I'm shipping my SMU shell Bartletts back to AE tomorrow. These Bartletts look (and feel) at least a full size too long...

Here's some pics of the fit with marks where the widest parts of my feet sit. For reference I've also included the same on some 65 last shoes that both fit much better.
Keeping those same references, for me personally - 1.) In the past I would have said the Lexington fit me ok, now I would say it's too sloppy. Arch-wise is ok but up front I have too much volume. Drop of heel slip. 2.) PA - really snug at the vamp, plenty of room up front, no heel slip; 3.) Rogue - started off like the Lexington but like 1.5X the amount of volume up front. Since the heel ls so smooth, I could have imagined slipping up and down in the heel really badly after a day's wear. This was 7D in all three. I always wondered about going down to a 6.5D in the Rogue and what that would be like, but AE starts the standard sizes in 6.5E and I didn't want to custom make something, wait forever for it and have it not work. I have others in the 201 - Overlord, Freiburg and Sauk Dr, and I wouldn't say they run longer, but definitely a lot more overall volume.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads