• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

pudman43

Reaction score

Happy Friday, Gents! Slim faded denim and Addisons today. (Man these things are a mess... serious need of cleaning, heavy creases in one shoe and not the other, probably the worst heel slip of all my AEs. Maybe time to ship out? At the same time, they are decent beaters and the dianite has settled nicely.)
LL
Thanks for posting these, I have a pair on the way. Great to see some 'in the wild' shots! J

DapperDriver

Reaction score
Rain was in the forecast today, so it seemed like a good time to break in my new Freiberg "beaters". $117 for first quality seemed like money well spent vs. a pair of CDBs or a $50 pair of Target chukkas.

Weather looked ominous for a while, but cleared up already. It's Florida, so it could get nasty again between now and quittin' time.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rain was in the forecast today, so it seemed like a good time to break in my new Freiberg "beaters". $117 for first quality seemed like money well spent vs. a pair of CDBs or a $50 pair of Target chukkas.

Weather looked ominous for a while, but cleared up already. It's Florida, so it could get nasty again between now and quittin' time.

I keep a spare pair of junk shoes in the car if I need to walk around outside. Weather down here is a pain and with showers at 1 like everyday not to mention the days it just rains all day.

@BespokeBrooklyn I think I'd go for the brown grain dundees. I actually really want a pair of these but after ordering the shell strands I really can't do it. Im also hoping I can snag the BB Duke or football leather ones in the future when they are put on final clearance or w/e

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cooke Bit Choc Suede/Dainite on shoebank, what are these? The picture is at a different angle generally indicating its made for someone else or not a typical shoe. My brother is a big suede fan and he's got a birthday coming up so might be a nice gift. Look mcallister-ish.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote: In my experience, limited as it may be, there is a striking difference in shell color at different times. The overall depth of color will lighten with time and exposure to the sun, and it is far darker indoors than outdoors. I think you will drive yourself a bit nuts trying to focus in with a specific shade on a shell shoe. They just are what they are and that is part of the nature of the shoe. To me its not an issue of the $100 upcharge for the color. Its the nature of the performance in shell versus calf. They both have their place and there is a reason many find shell to be a desirable portion of their shoe collection. I hope I made some level of sense there.
As a follow up to my original answer, I thought I would take pictures to illustrate the color of burgundy or #8 shell in different lighting. Today I wore my Alden 990s in #8 and took a picture on the way to work in the early sunlight. This is the original photo from an iphone, with no adjustments for light or color. When I got to the office I took the same photo with interior fluorescent lighting. Same shoes, pants, iphone and no adjustments of the picture for lighting or color. The outdoor with sunlight is certainly more burgundy and the color moves towards eggplant indoors. Just food for thought.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did somebody say Fairfax Friday?

I wanted to try the blue shoe thing, and experimented with an older pair. They look almost black here.

Here's the original color:

bishopcraiga

Reaction score

Did somebody say Fairfax Friday?

I wanted to try the blue shoe thing, and experimented with an older pair. They look almost black here.

Here's the original color:

My goodness, that's quite the transformation. Details?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My goodness, that's quite the transformation. Details?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1. Acetone
2. Light solution of oxalic acid (gasp!)
3. Rinse
4. A little more acetone
5. Diluted blue dye (not navy)
6. Another application of diluted blue dye
7. Navy Meltonian shoe cream (X3)
8. Neutral wax

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Acetone
2. Light solution of oxalic acid (gasp!)
3. Rinse
4. A little more acetone
5. Diluted blue dye (not navy)
6. Another application of diluted blue dye
7. Navy Meltonian shoe cream (X3)
8. Neutral wax

I forgot to mention that the rinse pretty thoroughly wetted the uppers. I knew that this would help reduce creasing as they dried on the shoe trees.

flaminiom

Reaction score

Just found out allen edmonds has a sale on there merlot color shoes, but my size that i want will be back order for 4 weeks. I've never brought there shoes from their site before. So i was wondering if they use usps, ups or fedex to ship out their shoes? I know they use usps for there smaller items like the polish and shoe laces but what about larger items. I'm asking this because in 4 weeks i won't be in the country so I was hoping they use usps. Your answers will be highly appreciated.

FWIW I ordered shoes in the last sale with 4 week lead and it shipped the following week.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sea Islands chilling on the lawn after work:

I think I'd prefer these without the padded insole.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question for the FBWs - Can anyone help me identify this shoe? Do you know of other navy, possibly CXL shoes? I have been on the hunt for a unique blue/navy casual shoes... Had my eye on some older blue Strandmoks, but nothing has jumped out at me yet.
That's the "dusty" blue distressed leather that was used in Cronmoks, voyager, banchory, etc. not CXL, I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads