• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I completely understand your comments as AE has made a large number of split toes over the years and currently has several. After looking closely at the toes I began to appreciate the subtle variations in assembly, sole, length of split and style of welt that pushes one shoe into the dressier category and another towards the casual. The Stockbridge is a good example of the more casual. It has exposed leather edges on the split and vamp stitching and rubber soles for a far more casual appearance.

The Walton starts to move up the casual scale towards dressier. The split toe seam is no longer exposed as it is joined internally. The vamp is sewn down with three rows of stitching as opposed to two. The sole is a single oak leather, but it is still a storm welt without the double stitch into the side of the shoe.

The length of the split toe stitch and profile of the toe adds to the dressier style of the shoe. It seems longer split toe seams are seen in dressier shoes, like the Delray.

So, those seem to be the variables and now you will have far more to consider when selecting several pairs of split toe shoes for the closet. And you likely never wanted to think this much about the subject.

^^^^^^

Best post ever.
Can't believe you forgot the best one
smile.gif

RTD1

Reaction score
I just can't get into the split toe design, from AE or anyone else. As a casual shoe, it does nothing for me that a moc/apron toe design without the split does not, and I think the moc/apron design looks cleaner.

Last edited:

Gabru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just can't get into the split toe design, from AE or anyone else. As a casual shoe, it does nothing for me that a moc/apron toe design without the split does not, and I think the moc/apron design looks cleaner.
I like both moc toe as well as split toe and think there is place for both. Both of these break the monotony from wings and caps equally well, two fine examples here -

AE singleton -

And the split toe boot by another "reputable" maker
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting Friday off correct. Suede Strand to get me through the day. (I was eyeing the Neumok and Strandmok for a casual shoe when I remembered these bad boys. I have shoe problems)

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting Friday off correct. Suede Strand to get me through the day. (I was eyeing the Neumok and Strandmok for a casual shoe when I remembered these bad boys. I have shoe problems)

I'm not even sure how you could forget these. If I had them my McTavish would almost never be worn. If I could find those in my size I'd be all over them despite my self imposed spending freeze hah.

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not even sure how you could forget these. If I had them my McTavish would almost never be worn. If I could find those in my size I'd be all over them despite my self imposed spending freeze hah.
There is a pair of suede Byrons in my size on the bay. Heavily tempted.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think, internally, my gut is telling me I need more casual shoes instead of dress. Yet I'm the same guy that would rock chili/oxblood PA with jeans so...

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a pair of suede Byrons in my size on the bay. Heavily tempted.

Jealous... There are a pair of Indy Line shoes in my size on there but I don't remember if its the same seller as the last time I saw them up. I know they sold and for $30 than current asking. If it isn't the same seller I'm thinking there is a reason the number of photos posted is limited.

I think, internally, my gut is telling me I need more casual shoes instead of dress. Yet I'm the same guy that would rock chili/oxblood PA with jeans so...

There is always a need.

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, haha. I wear most my shoes with jeans, too.

Last edited:

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've done merlot McAllisters with jeans so far. And of course walnut Warwicks. Oh and the daltons.

And sturgis.

Hm.

Guess I get to apply for membership in the club too heh.

catlettsl

Reaction score
Hey Guys....

Noticed there is very little love for the Clifton or Madison Avenue. I think these look great in Walnut and can be very versatile. Is there any love for these models and what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys....

Noticed there is very little love for the Clifton or Madison Avenue. I think these look great in Walnut and can be very versatile. Is there any love for these models and what are your thoughts?

Thanks

I assume you mean Madison Park, which actually gets a lot of love on here. I agree, great looking walnut shoe. I've seen some Cliftons on the bay that I've been tempted by. Solid looking shoe.

catlettsl

Reaction score

Quote:I assume you mean Madison Park, which actually gets a lot of love on here. I agree, great looking walnut shoe. I've seen some Cliftons on the bay that I've been tempted by. Solid looking shoe.
No I meant the Madison Avenue. It's a cap toe blucher similar to the Clifton
900b5b3c9366b4d6951a81cb7d173330.jpg

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I completely understand your comments as AE has made a large number of split toes over the years and currently has several. After looking closely at the toes I began to appreciate the subtle variations in assembly, sole, length of split and style of welt that pushes one shoe into the dressier category and another towards the casual.

So, those seem to be the variables and now you will have far more to consider when selecting several pairs of split toe shoes for the closet. And you likely never wanted to think this much about the subject.

Thanks for the split toe synthesis! This style is definitely not my favorite, but when done correctly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads