• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorseHorse

Reaction score

IMO, your good;  and I think your right, after a good break-in they should close up a touch more.

Thanks. My strands are less than a half an inch at top so just not used to seeing it. The fit is correct everywhere else, could just be small variances from shoe to shoe. I love these, they go with everything.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So they put the Shreveport on sale, but not the Leiden weave. My guess is the Shreveport will be on clearance for cheaper than sale price after the sale, to be replaced by the Leiden Weave. Other than a possible belt, and maaaayybe a Sea Island, I think I'm sitting this one out.
Dan, is this sale on Shreveports on AE or the shoe bank?

danwatts2005

Reaction score

Dan, is this sale on Shreveports on AE or the shoe bank?

This is the Anniversary sale catalog I received today.

HealthActuary

Reaction score
I'm looking to add the Cavanaughs in Oxblood to my modest collection this weekend since they will be $225 rather than $275.
I'll be needing another pair of shoe trees, another brush and cloth, then oxblood polish.

All of this for under the price of retail for the cavanaughs alone... what a steal at this point in the year!

Do you think my merlot wide basic belt will be close enough to be used with the oxblood cavanaughs? There's no wide basic belt in oxblood.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking to add the Cavanaughs in Oxblood to my modest collection this weekend since they will be $225 rather than $275.
I'll be needing another pair of shoe trees, another brush and cloth, then oxblood polish.  

All of this for under the price of retail for the cavanaughs alone... what a steal at this point in the year!

Do you think my merlot wide basic belt will be close enough to be used with the oxblood cavanaughs?  There's no wide basic belt in oxblood.

Wait until you receive the shoes and compare. I personally wouldn't buy the oxblood belt, and would put the money towards covering some other hole.

danwatts2005

Reaction score

Do you think my merlot wide basic belt will be close enough to be used with the oxblood cavanaughs?  There's no wide basic belt in oxblood.

Right now, I'm using a Dark Chili belt for Oxblood shoes, but I'm eyeballing that Clay Ave. on sale. I wouldn't pay full price for the Dupont Ave. though.

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I had to order another pair of dark brown (cognac 4045) McTavishes, as I was not very happy with first one that received. The new ones (middle picture) are very light, similar to walnut. It fits great and appears that it's marked as seconds because of the color. I prefer the darker shade, however. I would think that it will darken up if I use dark chili cream on them, but I am not sure if one is supposed to use color polish on this type of leather.

NorseHorse

Reaction score

I have 2 pairs of Oxblood shoes so I sprung for the poplar at full price and it looks great. If you have another Oxblood pair, couldn't hurt you to go for it. I'm also incredibly picky with having a "matching" set though.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I had to order another pair of dark brown (cognac 4045) McTavishes, as I was not very happy with first one that received. The new ones (middle picture) are very light, similar to walnut. It fits great and appears that it's marked as seconds because of the color. I prefer the darker shade, however. I would think that it will darken up if I use dark chili cream on them, but I am not sure if one is supposed to use color polish on this type of leather.

I think that they look great!

Buster Brown

Reaction score
A pair of Schuatal longwings I just picked up off eBay:

I wanted something with a flat welt and a darker 'rust' shade. These kept popping up in my searches and I finally found a price that led me to compromise. I'm glad I did. The split reverse welt seems natural on a longwing and the nutmeg color will probably prove more versatile in San Diego's endless summer. I'll probably add tongue pads to help with the narrow lacing gap and slight heel slip.

Regarding the name of this model, I remember seeing a Shoe Bank order filled by an Alice Schuat. I wonder if this was named for her.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cc808314 I wouldn't mess with the color too much, I think they look pretty good. I've kind of given up on this one - I was hoping to find something that at least resembled the picture, meaning either a reddish tan or chili/tan. Every pair I've looked at in person is what I would consider dark brown. My second choice (pure tan) - everything I've seen is too light. I'd be more than happy ending up with "walnut" as a compromise. For now I'll just stick with the two McTavish I already have.

Captain Insano

Reaction score

I think they look great. This is just another example of how the huge color variation in the brown, and especially lighter brown or tan leathers frustrate me when shopping online. Depending on lighting of pictures you never really know the true color of the leather until you see it in person. You are lucky I have tried a couple tan shoes going for lighter and have missed a couple times. I do like your new shoes sir, but I am partial to tan or light tan leather shoes!!

Captain Insano

Reaction score
I decided to keep my khaki McTavish. The more I wear them the lighter they look (which I like).

Sorry for the bad carpet, bad photography, and I don't wear a watch. But my new McTavish that are growing on me, wore these yesterday and posted photo today....

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cc808314 I wouldn't mess with the color too much, I think they look pretty good. I've kind of given up on this one - I was hoping to find something that at least resembled the picture, meaning either a reddish tan or chili/tan. Every pair I've looked at in person is what I would consider dark brown.

I think this is kind of the nature of the beast when it comes to the rough leathers: variation is part of the deal. Even among firsts there is a spectrum in the finished product that probably makes it really hard to put a picture in a catalog. It is

I do think it is a little crazy how different the cognac color can be, and I'm sure that is why my tan/cognac seconds are perfect as far as I can tell other than the color.

Lastly, my routine and care for my shoes is mainly brushing, and it seems like both of the cognac pairs are getting better the more I wear and brush them. The tones are a little more apparent and have more depth. (the tan pair seems to be darkening over time and developing a bit of a worn-saddle patina, which is also 100% fine for me...)

I've got to believe AE is struggling with the rough leathers - it is a class of leather that is very interesting to me and I'd buy more (though I think the "antiqued" nature of the Normandy puts me off for some reason - seems fake), but probably generates a lot more returns/seconds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads