1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nqtri

nqtri Senior member

Yes, heel slip is something I'm afraid of for loafers while I can get away with that for lace-ups. I'm a 8.5D for park avenue and thinking of getting 8D for grayson.

2. aero25

aero25 Senior member

It must be all the loafer talk on here, but I am starting to take a liking to some where I would never have given them the time of day before. I've seen great pictures of many, so thanks. One I haven't seen is the Bar Harbor penny. Anyone have those?

On a different note, anyone have the Lamarche Terra Dallas? one popped on the Bank and I'm considering it for my first cap toe since I'm a bit brogue heavy right now (2x McTavish and a Rush Street).

3. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

They should break in and the heel slip will dissipate. Otherwise tongue pads help a ton.

4. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

I was going to wait until July for the Nordstom Anniversary sale to pick up Park Ave and Strand firsts for what historically appears to be approximately 33.3% off (probably about $265 each for 2016). I just put these into my Bloomingdales cart and the total is 495.55 or about 248 per shoe. Continue to checkout? Hmmmm

5. M2511

M2511 Senior member

I'm not sure how you got Park Ave + Strands to be $495.55 I just did the same thing and it comes out to $628.05 after tax.

6. Middlife

Middlife Senior member

SHOP25 for promo code

7. M2511

M2511 Senior member

That did the trick. If they had 9.5E I would be hitting "check out".... Surprised they have EE and EEE but not E... figures.

8. ZheNewYork

ZheNewYork Well-Known Member

Too bad they don't have width options...

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    Every year comes and goes without me doing anything to mark the occasion of Greg "The Shark" Norman's birthday in February. This year was no exception. So here is a belated wearing of my Belmonts. Here's to you Greg!

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  10. barto78

barto78 Well-Known Member

Was hoping to be able to use that code for sale items or other brands. Bummed it didn't work for me.

11. shades9323

shades9323 Well-Known Member

I don't have the Graysons, but I have a different 97 last shoe. I take a 9d in the 97 and an 8e in the 65. Although I would possibly consider sizing down to 8.5d for the loafer to minimize heel slip a bit. The 97 last does have wide heels.

12. Mat Waites

Mat Waites Senior member

Chili Varno - First wearing

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

@aero25Good to hear someone asking for something different fir a change - although I am sporting my Jermyn today myself....anyway -

I considered the bates, I liked the look and color a lot as a casual option. Totally changed when I saw it in person - looked really sub par, not like AE quality. Sole was thin and rubbery.

I actually bought and returned a black lamarche. Very very misleading pics. When you put in on and have a pant leg covering it, it looks identical (and fits almost identical) to a Lexington. Very plain, very conservative. Would be difficult to swing this with something too casual, they would look out of place. With those others you mentioned, this sounds like it probably wouldn't fit the bill. If you have the wardrobe, get it, very nice. If not, id recommend checking out the overlord.

14. DapperDriver

DapperDriver Well-Known Member

Well, there goes a little bit more of my bonus check... I'll soon be the proud owner of some walnut McCallisters. That 20% off of the Anniversary sale price was too good to pass up, especially when that exact shoe was one of two that I've had on my AE wish list.

So, in the past month I've given them little pieces of my bonus for:
    - Walnut McCallisters
    - Recraft on my bourbon Strands
    - Recraft on my chili Fairfaxs
    - Four belts; bourbon Manistee, walnut Dearborn, chili and black Basic Dress belts

Also, I spoke w/ AE customer service again about my chili McGregors, and they've told me that the problem I noted looks like a leather defect, so if all goes well those will be getting squared away.

Barn weasels, the lot of you.

1 person likes this.
  15. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

First day wearing the new Strands. These shoes are magnificent. They fit a little tight when I tried them on yesterday (near the big toe on the right foot), but today they seem to fit absolutely perfect.

First experience with the 5 last. I tried on my normal size (I wear 11D in the 1, 4, and 7 lasts) at Nordstrom a few months back and they felt a little tight, so took a chance following the advice I'd seen on the forums in the past and went down a half size and up a width to 10.5 E and it seems to work like a charm.

In bad news, that means I've opened a whole new gateway to all the 5 last options that I was previously hesitant on. Must resist the temptation.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Those really look awesome. You plucked those from the bay?

17. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

I have a similar experience. I believe the Westchester loafer I have is the 97 last, and I wear an 11 D in that and a 10.5 E in the 65, as I was just able to confirm. I also wear an 11 D in the Glasgow loafer (4 last I believe). I seem to also have a similar experience with the wider heels in the 97. The Westchester heel seems wider the Glasgow, but it isn't bad enough to the point of slipping off for me. Hope that helps.

18. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

Thank you. Yes. They were $165. A little more than I wanted to spend on eBay, but upon arrival the purchase was justified, and I am not quite in a position to shell out $299 from the Shoebank for one pair just yet.

19. BG 7

BG 7 Well-Known Member

Dang. I was about to jump on the McAllister until I saw this.

20. aero25

aero25 Senior member

@Neo1 I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump in to tassels like the Jermyn yet. Baby steps... What color are yours?

With the Lamarche, I can see what you're saying, especially in black. I do not not wear suits (obviously by the other footwear I mentioned) and thought the Terra Dallas color may keep it casual enough for chinos. I haven't seen it in person though,have you? I have tried on a Lexington and found them comfortable, so fit shouldn't be a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.