• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Super-casual Friday today, since I'm the only member of the 10-man team working at work today and not from home.

Pardon the crappy iPhone photos and the reverse-watchidiot pose (crossing the left leg, instead of the right).

Brown Normandy from off eBay. Only worn a couple of times. No toe indents, like you see sometimes. Slightly more distressed than I was hoping. The left toe cap is a touch crooked. But, for less than 1/3 of retail, I think I'm OK with them. And, these are easily my most comfortable pair of AEs. Seriously, it's not even close.

I know it's on the B34, just like the Darmstadt I have, but the ball of the foot area is really kind of "bulbous" for lack of a better term. Way more so than the Darmstadt.

I'm still utterly baffled that these don't come with a mini-lug sole. Or, at least a v-tread. Something. The heel is solid, but then the sole slides a bit sometimes when walking on carpet. I mean, this thing is supposed to have a casual, rugged look to it. Why not give it some functionality, too? Weird. Really weird.

Of course, now I'm wondering if it makes sense to get the Overlord as well. That's on the 201, so I'm not sure how it will match up, fit-wise. Yeah, it's probably a touch redundant. But, if the Overlord is anywhere near the same fit and feel, it's probably worth it. Gonna get a ton of mileage out of these while the weather is still cool enough to wear boots.

eagleman

Reaction score

Have Ducks VS UNC in the final with UNC winning. Tonight's games are a cluster for me though. Stupid WVU and MSU...

My bracket is shot to hell. But I'm a graduate of Middle Tennessee and tickled to death about my bracket.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok guys, I need to make the plunge into walnut. I'm currently on a lace less trip so would love a walnut loafer, but I realize laces do serve a purpose too. The alpha walnut seems to be the strand and I'd be completely cool with one in walnut and one in oxblood.

Suggestions please...

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok guys, I need to make the plunge into walnut. I'm currently on a lace less trip so would love a walnut loafer, but I realize laces do serve a purpose too. The alpha walnut seems to be the strand and I'd be completely cool with one in walnut and one in oxblood.

Suggestions please...

How about the new Leiden, in woven walnut?

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suggestions please...

I recommend a pair of RL by AE Singleton loafers in tan (walnut), able to be had at 30% off at ralphlauren.com.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Suggestions please...

I'm not a loafer guy, so I can't really recommend one there.

If you do decide to go with laces and don't want to double-down on Strands (although I wouldn't blame you for going that route), you might want to consider either the Cornwallis or the McAllister.

If you want something that's kind of divisive here on SF, think about picking up a pair of Rogues off the ShoeBank. It's not my cup of tea, but there are a number of folks who say you need to see it to appreciate it. I'm the first to admit I've been wrong about a number of shoes, so it might be an option for you.

Not sure if you're a boot guy, but you could always think about the Dalton. That's another walnut one that gets a lot of love.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about the new Leiden, in woven walnut?
On my radar for sure, love the look and even tried it on. Just waiting for a sale/shoe bank version

I recommend a pair of RL by AE Singleton loafers in tan (walnut), able to be had at 30% off at ralphlauren.com.
Also on my radar, and it is on sale right now, sadly said sale ends today. This is right up my wheel house.

I'm not a loafer guy, so I can't really recommend one there.

If you do decide to go with laces and don't want to double-down on Strands (although I wouldn't blame you for going that route), you might want to consider either the Cornwallis or the McAllister.

If you want something that's kind of divisive here on SF, think about picking up a pair of Rogues off the ShoeBank. It's not my cup of tea, but there are a number of folks who say you need to see it to appreciate it. I'm the first to admit I've been wrong about a number of shoes, so it might be an option for you.

Not sure if you're a boot guy, but you could always think about the Dalton. That's another walnut one that gets a lot of love.
I was eyeing the Rogue on the bank and that could be an impulse trigger purchase shortly. I am a boot guy and have the Dalton's in oxblood. I'm also the guy that will be wearing those in 100+ degree weather in the summer :)

barto78

Reaction score

eagleman

Reaction score

Suggestions please...

I'm a loafer guy too. I like the looks of the Ascher. But I'm not a big fan of walnut. I have the Cody in chili and I love them. They are more versatile than walnut.

Middlife

Reaction score

Suggestions please...
If I could fit in D I would grab these at $244.90

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/4185531?pathAlias=allen-edmonds-madison-park-wingtip-derby-men

I stole this picture from an old post from keepsake89

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads