1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

And don't you ever let anybody tell you any different, ya hear?!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. barto78

barto78 Well-Known Member

Shoe trees, bags and put on shoe shelves in my closet. Used to never bag my other dress shoes, but since I made the switch to AE a few months back.

3. harlequin782

Exactly. And alot of it for me is the principle of the matter. AE's may not be GG's, JL's or EG's but I genuinely cherish these shoes as my first quality shoes, and so I treat them as such.

4. Captm2016

Captm2016 Member

So is there enough of a difference in brown and dark chili as a color to justify having 5A's in both?

5. barto78

I think I'm going to buy 5A's in Walnut Dainite. I already have Walnut strands and daltons, but only bourbon Mcallister in Dainite. I have brown 5A's that I'm getting recrafted and just bought Chili Carlyles. otherwise that would have been my choice, so I think a walnut shoe w the Dainite sole would be good to have with the wet Louisiana weather/climate.

1 person likes this.
  6. harlequin782

I don't have brown, but from what I've seen of it in the store, yes...at least I think so. Even though I have dark chili shoes, I clearly see a void that could be filled with a brown shoe...now, fortunately my Dark Brown Dundees are filling this void right now, but eventually, I plan to get a proper pair of brown calfskin that could be worn with a navy or grey suit, if I wanted to.
    I've seen people say the two colors are equally versatile, and while they might be right, I don't see them as being the same "type" of versatile. I view brown as being a tad dressier/more conservative than Dark Chili. Dark chili goes with virtually everything, but it never quite makes that stern, staid statement that a pure brown makes, with certain color combinations in dress attire. It's a bit more of a Rustic look to my eye, while I view the pure brown color as a more polished, deliberate type of colormatch for certain color combos. Or in other words: I think brown is as versatile in dressy/business-casual attire as dark chili is in business-casual/casual attire. I know that didn't make any sense, but that's the only way I can think to put it.

1 person likes this.
  7. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

This is where I'm at. I brush, tree and rack them after use, but my rotation is somewhat small compared to most so I don't want to have to deal with unnecessary steps if I don't have to.

Is there a reason for bagging and boxing the shoes between use?

8. barto78

I throw the boxes away. Just seems like a waste of space to me.

1 person likes this.
  9. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I tree, bag, and box except for a couple of stray eBay pairs. Dust mostly concerns me with my suedes, but I figure it looks neater to just be consistent. I end up using the shoe-tree boxes for the care products.

Pro-move on the hiding. [​IMG]

10. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I stack extra pairs (in boxes) on the top rack so they save me some space. Guess that means I'm going to need a bigger closet.

1 person likes this.
  11. smfdoc

smfdoc Senior member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I have some new shell shoes coming tomorrow and I am wondering what break-in advice experienced shell wearers can offer? I know to wear them on carpet only to test the fit, but at some point they have to get out in the world. Should they be worn straight out of the box or should they prepped in some way? My other shell shoes were already broken in when I bought them, so this will be a new experience for me.

12. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Sure. If you want a dark brown and medium brown pair. Really two totally different colors in my opinion. I have the FA in brown and black, and I think these are more akin to each other than brown and chili. The only reason I don't have the FA in chili or walnut is because I have those colors in the PA already. Brown and Chili are definitely both worth having if you like this particular style and the last fits you well. Add to that the fact that you can get one in dainite and the other leather (my black are leather and brown are dainite), and you have another very good reason to buy both brown and chili.

13. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Senior member

I've had dark Brown PAs for 2 years and they have taken a reddish turn using just brown polish. Givin the polish you use and the particular pair it might look close, and in low light nearly identical. But that said I just bought some chili, in the McGregor. If you eye the pair before hand that might help.

14. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I too would be interested to hear what the veterans have to say. Hopefully I'll be in the same shoes (figuratively) next week.

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

They are different enough that you and maybe % 15 of people who you meet will be able to tell the difference, but why not get a different style? I mean, if only for variety's sake...

Brush and hit the pavement immediately! That's what I do.

16. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Who said walnut FAs don't make any sense? I'd be wearing them all summer long with my walnut PAs. What else would one wear with tan gabs, dress linens, and seersucker? And the rest of the year: With a tan suit perhaps? Definitely with a tan trouser and blazer combo, or with navy trousers and odd jacket (much better choice than a strand for this combo unless the jacket is obviously on the casual side of things). I'm still bumfuzzled by those who think a tan cap toe shoe is superfluous. Embrace the walnut FA. Nothing wrong with loving a tan punch cap as long as you aren't trying to make them work with a dark suit every day.

17. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

I was just looking at my profile pic. I need a new family photo.
    Initially I couldn't picture a walnut shoe with a black dainite sole. I haven't seen them in person, but the pics look very nice.

18. gjdgjdgjd

gjdgjdgjd Active Member

[​IMG]

Found a present on my doorstep today. I am really digging the brown grain leather.

2 people like this.
  19. Captm2016

Captm2016 Member

The reason I was thinking of getting the 5A was the $150 off deal (I also really like the 5A, but would not have been thinking of making this purchase without the deal). So I guess, given that I currently have dark chili 5A's and black PAs and bourbon PAs, what would be best if i could only get one to round out the collection? Walnut or brown 5A's at $240 or merlot macallisters at $290?

20. redmusic1

redmusic1 Senior member

Merlot McAllisters would be best choice if you wear suits a lot. I would get a lot of use out of the walnut FA, but it depends on your wardrobe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.