• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have seen this popping up on my Facebook feed a couple of times today. It shows to be from AE, and the link goes to their site, but I cannot find Strands listed anywhere that cheap. Upcoming sale maybe?

I think that this is showing the close out price on bourbon Strands (which are probably all gone).

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SLCRich They have been offering the Presidio (BB version without the stupid executive sole) off and on for 99 on the bank. Ever consider that one?

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@donkeyhoatie I picked up an overlord after thinking the Normandy was that good also. No regrets there, absolutely recommended. Drastically different fit but crazy comfortable. Cloest comparison I can think of is a Mctavish made for people with high arch troubles, but with the Normandy sole.

naspratt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I picked up an overlord after thinking the Normandy was that good also. No regrets there, absolutely recommended. Drastically different fit but crazy comfortable. Cloest comparison I can think of is a Mctavish made for people with high arch troubles, but with the Normandy sole.

Neo, have you seen the Haley in person? I was thinking an unlined beefroll penny would be nice for summer, especially with all the love the kudu gets, but the color looks awfully dark both on the website and the catalog, much darker than the brown Normandy or Overlord.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@naspratt I did see one once - the color was pretty similar to the others. After the overlord & Normandy turned out so well I had originally planned on picking this one up as well. However it being on the 2592 made me put this off. I always feel like the 2592 is a total crapshoot - in my normal size, I'm either 1) Right up against the toe box, 2) Have just enough room, 3) Swimming with extra volume. I bet the kudu would be good for eliminating the pain due to the usual low vamp. If you get this, post pics, id be interested. I asked Mr garland about this one more than once but he's busy with other stuff now.

Another one to consider might be the sequoia, but not until the price goes down.

Soupy

Reaction score
I tried to order the walnut McGregors a couple of weeks ago, but they didn't have any in my size. I tried a pair from the Shoebank, but returned them. That was the last pair in stock (1st or 2nd quality), so I decided to try the walnut Larchmont (again, only available at the Shoebank).

One shoe has eyelets that are misaligned. What can be done to minimize that?
The medallion is off-center on the other shoe. I don't think it's that bad.

(This might be a double-post, my first attempt at replying said it was waiting for moderator approval about 12 hours ago).

Have you tried re-lacing these with the first lace "bar" on the inside instead of the outside? If you look at Ian's shoelace guide for criss cross lacing what you have there is the factory variation with the first bar outside because it's easy during manufacturing. He recommends having that bottom bar on the inside for criss cross lacing and I have to agree after trying it on my shoes. The upside for you is that I think it will hide that straight line bar which is the most jarringly "off" for the eyelets. With the rest of them being criss crossed I don't think the misalignment will be as noticeable. I wouldn't worry about the medallion at all - I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out from this photo.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@SLCRich They have been offering the Presidio (BB version without the stupid executive sole) off and on for 99 on the bank. Ever consider that one?

I haven't seen that price yet, but 100% would consider it for 99.

Captain Insano

Reaction score
OK based on some previous posts and feedback in this thread, I've picked up some McTavish shoes. I was looking at both natural and khaki, saw a good deal and ordered some khaki which by all pictures I look at online appeared to be the very lightest color of McTavish. I already had some standard brown Neumok shoes which I also like. I'm trying to go for as light of a brown/tan as possible. Thinking I might need to venture into walnut colored anything to get as light as I want. While these McTavish are slightly lighter, they are really not that much lighter. And still kinda brown in my opinion. Really frustrating again as these look super light online in most pictures, but I have a set of shoes that looks basically slightly lighter colored than standard brown. I did get what I think is a good deal on the McTavish (anybody on here sell them? I got them on eBay). I'm trying to figure out which to keep, haven't worn the McTavish other than trying them on and they feel like they will fit fine in the 9.5D I have. McTavish interestingly are a lot heavier due to liner and sole I guess, but still surprising how noticeable.

I'm trying to figure out now if I want to keep one or both of these shoes and also if I should instead get the McTavish in natural color since that appears possibly lighter than the khaki I have onhand (who the F knows what I would actually get ordering online since color seems to vary ALOT in the lighter colored leathers). I also have some navy Neumok on the way I got what I consider a good deal on. I will definitely be keeping those once I receive them since I have nothing at all like them and probably can wear basically anytime I wear a khaki chino/pants. I also am shopping for burgundy anything since those would go with basically any color anything (pant/chinos/jeans).

Another thought I had, would either of these lighten up slightly if I used a beige or lighter shoe polish on them for a while? That seems like it could possibly lighten them up, but over time they would darken until I polish them again. My plan right now is to use a natural shoe polish (Lincoln or VSC) unless using a lighter color polish/shiner could lighten them some. Even though apparently these are more casual and don't require traditional polishing (just saddle soap) if I'm understanding the product care info correctly from Allen Edmonds.

Thoughts? My wife thinks I've lost my mind since I've basically bought 5 high end shoes (what I consider high end anyway) in the past 1.5 months.

Pictures of my shoes side by side....

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"My wife thinks I've lost my mind since I've basically bought 5 high end shoes (what I consider high end anyway) in the past 1.5 months."
Captain, your comment makes it seem like an appropriate time for a re-post of my A & E shoe lament from about 3 weeks ago. I believe it does require restating for the benefit of the new readers.

I don’t know how it all started. I really can’t recall.
I remember needing some new dress shoes and so I headed for the mall.
“Sneakers” were everywhere. No quality could I see.
That’s when the salesman said, “You should check out A and E.”

Chili Bentons were the first pair and I was sure one pair would do.
Then I bought a pair in black and suddenly I had two.
“I work hard and I deserve them.” What possible harm could there be?
So I found some Regent Streets wingtips on Ebay and suddenly I was up to three.

I don’t really like odd numbers and a pair of black Byrons made it four.
My wife was starting to purse ********, but “What’s the harm in just one more?”
Black Winhalls made it five and the Mapletons made it six
“Damn, I have a lot of black.” But that was a "problem" I knew I could fix.

The compliments were rolling in and my friends said, "Your shoe look really great."
But then the Fairfax and Chesters arrived and now I was up to eight.
“Not another pair I’ll buy, I will never shop again!”
But it was then I noticed my hanging shoe bag would actually hold up to ten.

I bought Park Avenue, Fairgates and Shreveport and many other shoes.
I filled my first hanging shoe bag and now I have filled up two.
I should have thought about what I was doing and purchased carefully.
Because then I started counting and found I had twenty-three.

So tread lightly friend and enjoy your wife while she's there.
Because tomorrow is another day and there's always another pair.

Last edited:

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Captain Insano Personally I wasn't a big fan of the khaki mctavish. I think the acorn neumok is exactly what you're after. The tan Mctavish might work but there's a huge variation so it would be a gamble.

Captain Insano

Reaction score
Neo1,
Yes, ironically I also looked at The Acorn Hill fire before the Brown neumok and I looked at the natural McTavish before the khaki and I chose the khaki and the brown based on pictures that made them look lighter online. Dammit Jim!

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(This might be a double-post, my first attempt at replying said it was waiting for moderator approval about 12 hours ago).

Have you tried re-lacing these with the first lace "bar" on the inside instead of the outside? If you look at Ian's shoelace guide for criss cross lacing what you have there is the factory variation with the first bar outside because it's easy during manufacturing. He recommends having that bottom bar on the inside for criss cross lacing and I have to agree after trying it on my shoes. The upside for you is that I think it will hide that straight line bar which is the most jarringly "off" for the eyelets. With the rest of them being criss crossed I don't think the misalignment will be as noticeable. I wouldn't worry about the medallion at all - I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out from this photo.

Thanks. I'll try the other lacing pattern.

CMT1

Reaction score
Polished up the walnut Rogues for tomorrow's outfit. They have a bit more than one year of wear on them and have only seen brushing and sporadic light applications of AE neutral polish. I avoid the AE walnut polish because I do not like the somewhat reddish hue that can result, and these have deepened to a pretty intense orange over time.

Perfect for a colorful spring outfit. :slayer:

Happy Easter to those who observe the holiday, and may everyone have an enjoyable Sunday!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads