1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whodey14

whodey14 Well-Known Member

These were the two that I tossed around. My deciding factor was sitting both colors in front of me in person and how much i love the dark chili ae I already have. Can't go wrong with either.

2. MattRiv

MattRiv Well-Known Member

If the Strand is the quintessential walnut shoe, and the PA the black... then IMO the fifth ave is that shoe for dark chili.

1 person likes this.
  3. whodey14

I love my oxblood strands personally. Have them in brown as well. The red hues really do it for me.

1 person likes this.
  4. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

Yeah. I actually plan on going to my local AE store later today or during the weekend to check them out. Thanks!

5. Newberry

Newberry Well-Known Member

Thanks! I actually have the PA in black. The Fifth Ave in dark chili is what I might go with since I'm also eyeing the Cornwallis in brown. Im just waiting for them to go on sale.

6. Captain Insano

Captain Insano Well-Known Member

@styleaudit91
    I like that color on your strandmoks. Reminds me a lot of the leather coloring on the Nordstrom acorn hillfire Neumok.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  7. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Well-Known Member

I don't either. This shoe is everything the Strandmok is not. I have a pair, and they are by far my favorite pair of AE. If I could find a new pair, I would buy them and keep them in the box for when my current pair wears out.

8. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Well-Known Member

I must be doing it wrong. I have Oxblood and bourbon strands, bourbon fifths, six pairs of walnut calf but no strand, lol.

9. LanceM

LanceM Well-Known Member

Anyone have the strandmok 2.0 in suede? I think the last and suede make the shoes feel too long/big. I am going to try and size down. I think they will be a good summer shoe.

10. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

It (the shoes/brogueing) also draws attention to yourself/clothing and in formal settings you do not want to do that. (at least you arent supposed to) Settings like weddings/funerals/dinners are not supposed to be a setting for drawing attention to oneself.

1 person likes this.
  11. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Well-Known Member

I was going between the tan, brown, and navy actually but I have a lot of brown shoes and thought tan would be a good addition. What do you do for cleaning yours? I'm curious if I should care for them more like a suede, looks like AE recommends their leather cream on neumok so we shall see.

12. whodey14

[​IMG]
    These have been retired until football season, who-dey moks. Black and orange. New to the forum so I figured I'd share another pair.

4 people like this.
  13. styleaudit91

styleaudit91 Well-Known Member

You wont be disappointed! The last pic is pretty true to how they look in natural light. My concern is they would look too much like a Walnut Strand (which I still don't own) but they have their own more wet sand or caramel color / tones.

14. harlequin782

harlequin782 Well-Known Member

That was MY concern too...and it's why I steered clear of the Rush street and to a lesser extent the Elgin. But I love the fact that the Strandmok has a clear identity as a great looking casual shoe.. for my tastes and for the casual style I was looking for the Elgin, and especially the Rush Street, looked far too much like a regular strand, and we're too dressy looking for me...the darker brown Strandmok nearly also has this same appearance. I like the strandmok because it's not really a crossover style...about the only thing dressy about it is the closed lacing. For me, the shinier dark finish of the Dark Brown kind of put it right back on that borderline that I never quite liked about the Elgin or the Rush Street. The tan Strandmok fits the bill perfectly for my needs.

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

While this is true, in real life there is very little distinction between a black punch cap and a black stitch cap. Most won't even be able to see that little strip of broguing unless they are on their hands and knees. And which employers, outside of the most traditional law firms in London, say, would raise objection to the difference? And if you're working in one of those, you better be sporting a traditional English Oxford with a closed heel anyway, so AE isn't gonna cut it.

1 person likes this.
  16. feeble

feeble Active Member

I agree. Imo both are equally versatile. If you go to any website that has a color wheel to match suit/pant color to shoe color, brown can be used for pretty much every color except black. Dark chili would presumably fit the bill as well.

I have a nice navy blue suit that I wear burnished brown park avenues with. I'm planning on wearing the fifth avenue in dark chili with them as well.

1 person likes this.
  17. whodey14

I typically dress quite a bit more business casual than a lot of members. I wear dress pants and shirt with a pullover/sweater to work during the fall/winter and polos or just a dress shirt in the spring and summer.

That being said I can typically pull off just about anything. Plus I'm far more concerned about what I wear than any of my coworkers.

18. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

No doubt. Im all for breaking the rules anyway. OP simply asked the reasons for why brogues are less formal. :cheers:

19. TxLiving

TxLiving Member

I was all set to buy the Oxblood Carlyle this weekend (already emailed the store to let them know what I wanted), but seeing the Chili Fifth Avenue's have me rethinking.

Really looking for a color I can wear with Blue/Grey pants, and both will work...It's tough wanting shoes haha.

20. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Dark Chili Carlyles are the obvious choice here.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.