Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2016 - News, Pictures, Sizing, Accessories, Clothing, etc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by watchidiot, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uncle

Uncle Well-Known Member

So here are my #8 PAs. Third time out, and twice hit with the magical cream (VSC). Forgot to include timepiece, hence second photo.

2. gm928

gm928 Senior member

The magical cream has rendered your PAs invisible. Was that the intended effect?

3. gm928

gm928 Senior member

Brandy Drydens.

[​IMG]

4. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Bwahahahaha!

5. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I dont have a pic but tried some on last year at an outlet. The web pics are actually pretty true to the color. I could only really see them as a dark denim/ navy pant shoe so I passed at what they were then which was about $269 for seconds. $225 for firsts might be worth another look.

6. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Those are nice. How old is that model?

7. gm928

gm928 Senior member

Thanks. I bought this pair about 8 years ago, and I think they were discontinued around 2010 or 2011.

8. danwatts2005

Thanks for that. Dark denim would be the primary spot for me.

In other news, the golden brown Humboldt belt I ordered came today. It's going to be a great match for my Rush Streets, but surprisingly, it looks like it's also a better match to my Bourbon than a Bourborn Dearborn.

9. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

I wonder why they are $40 more on the shoebank. Seems goofy. Now if seconds were like $175 I would totally get some.

10. danwatts2005

I don't want to get banned from the group, but I'm going to ask a question. I don't want to offend anyone, but I'm wondering if anyone else thinks like I do:

Would you prefer seconds from the Bank, or firsts on sale or clearance?

Personally, I would rather have firsts on clearance or sale. I just ordered my 12th pair, and only two were stamped on the bottom; my second pair (Bourbon Strands,) and my recent Ebay purchase (Oxblood Daltons.) All the rest are firsts. I don't know why, because I sure can't find the fault in either pair. Maybe I'm just weird, or maybe if I had a Bank closer, where I could hand-pick everything, I would feel differently.

What is your take?

11. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

First on sale/clearance....anyday

12. Shoes4play

Shoes4play Senior member

First on sale/clearance.

13. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Firsts.
    There is always a reason why a shoe at the Shoebank is a "second". Sometimes I can Iive with that. And sometimes I cannot.
    I just returned a pair last week that I couldn't accept. It was a model that was on clearance. I ordered that pair after first checking to see if their were any first-quality shoes available. (There were not).

14. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Id prefer firsts but my wallet likes seconds. I'm not overly picky with shoes so seconds are fine.

15. llamaone

llamaone Senior member

There's a bit more to this discussion of "sale firsts" vs. seconds than meets the eye. Firstly, consider that what constitutes a "second" is subjective. Sure, there are quality control standards which dictate when a shoe should be considered second quality. But it's a human being making the distinction, after all, and AE isn't exactly known for perfect quality; I've read many accounts of supposed "firsts" with flaws that wouldn't even be acceptable on a "second." And on the other hand, accounts from resident shoe experts who purchase a pair of seconds and swear there is no flaw.

You also must take into account the simple fact that "staple" shoes such as Park Avenues hardly ever go on clearance. A sale, perhaps, but not clearance. So it might not always be practical to buy a pair of firsts at a deep sale price in lieu of a pair of seconds.

So in my opinion, this is kind of an apples vs. oranges comparison and a needless thought exercise. Too many variables exist and no two pairs of seconds are alike. It's easy to say that in general and in theory, a first quality shoe on sale is preferable to a full priced factory second. But really, what good is it to even ponder this question? Buy according to your needs, your budget, and what's available at the time. If you happen to score a great deal on a pair of firsts, great. If you pay even less for seconds that for the life of you might as well be firsts, even better. Who cares if there's a stamp on the sole? Worst case scenario, you're sent a pair of seconds with a truly nasty flaw, and you simply return them and try again.

Basically, the question as posed is a false dichotomy. It needn't be such a black or white issue.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.