• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Things Considered, the Best Ties

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dislike Charvet ties. Their electric sheen blinds me. I cannot think of other high-end ties that would fit the word "tacky" better

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Borrelli: I have over a dozen now:
For colors/patterns, width, quality. Just amazing ties. Some great blends of color. I do prefer their thicker twills, 7 folds, and their cashmere and blends are nice in fall winter with flannel suits.

Dormeuil
Ties in an almost grenadine are just amazing, really amazing, very classy patterns and rich.

Attolini
For colors, very understated yet rich.

I've tried Kiton, Brioni, Charvet but I can't say I care for their colors, patterns and Kiton's width is a tad to slim for my lapels usually.
I'll give Charvet the point that they do look rich, luxurious, I just don't care for their patterns very much or there is just something about them I just don't like. But I haven't really studied them as I'm not drawn to them.

The worst ties are RLPL, god they are just plain awful for what they charge once you try some of the above. Canali makes some nice patterns but they just arn't near the level of quality of the above. And their dress shirts are horrible.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I dislike Charvet ties. Their electric sheen blinds me. I cannot think of other high-end ties that would fit the word "tacky" better

A. This is not tacky nor sheen-y
charvet.jpg

B. I can think of a two ties (both huge forum favorites) that fit the word "tacky" incredibly better.

C. Different strokes for different folks
smile.gif

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, Charvet has a good selection of understated ties but it seem that not many make it out of Place Vendôme.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nicky
Massimo Bizzocchi
Marinella

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Actually, Charvet has a good selection of understated ties but it seem that not many make it out of Place Vendôme.

Obviously they do. They have hundreds of ties. I was referring mostly to their "signature" ties... the ones that shine in the dark
tounge.gif

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Dolce Punta should be added as well. Love Massimo ties which is just recent as i used to not like their patterns. Canali makes a nice tie but again their patterns aren't the greatest. Italo/Brioni (at least old brioni and not the upcoming seasons because they aren't going to be made by Italo anymore but they won't release their new maker which is going to be cheaper and hopefully quality doesn't slide) makes a great tie as well as Ricci.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I've tried hating Charvet. I hate that I love their weaves better than anyone else's. I hate that I love the knot they make. I hate the way they come apart if you are not careful. I hate the way they have gone up in price from what I used to pay for them at BG. I've found some good ties (Drakes, Turnbull, Borrelli, Marinella) in my quest to forget Charvet. But alas, love is love
inlove.gif
. Charvet's weaves are untouchable in their beauty. I've never felt so exquisitely dressed as when I wear Charvet. Women are frozen in their tracks, horses' manes stand on end, the corner falafel guy gives me the chicken from last week instead of the month-old..... I just can't quit Charvet.

I feel exactly the same. Some of their ties are tacky, but some (most?) are absolutely gorgeous. The sheen of their silk is unique and I guess you either love it or hate it. I hate that I love it.
crazy.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A. This is not tacky nor sheen-y
charvet.jpg

must be the lighting...
tounge.gif
devil.gif

B. I can think of a two ties (both huge forum favorites) that fit the word "tacky" incredibly better.

Which ones? please speak your mind (see (c) below)

C. Different strokes for different folks
smile.gif

Of course. We just happen to have the same taste when it comes to Sutor Mantellassi wholecuts...
laugh.gif
devil.gif

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hermes...

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
The LL Charvet tie is quite nice looking.

I wonder where they source their reflective material... nuclear waste treatment facilities?
wink.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Of course. We just happen to have the same taste when it comes to Sutor Mantellassi wholecuts...
laugh.gif
devil.gif

You rat bastard!!!!!!!!!!!
devil.gif

I prefer to not speak my mind on the other ties. They are part of the forum and I prefer to not diss the customers nor the makers . Oops, I've said too much
smile.gif

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
The LL Charvet tie is quite nice looking.
You know, I guess it is a beautifully-made tie and the silk is to die for, but I didn't order one mainly because of its black and white nature. To me a tie should add color. My fellow Canuck in Montreal (Zegnamtl on AAAC and LL) got one and told me that it's a helluva tie. However, he also told me he rates his Carlo Franco higher.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads