All Things Considered, the Best Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Roger, Jun 8, 2006.

1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I don't have one, either. I can't justify the expense with as many ties as I have compared to how often I wear them. I understand if you go bespoke with Charvet it's best to indicate explicitly if you want a self-keeper. [​IMG]

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I dislike Charvet ties. Their electric sheen blinds me. I cannot think of other high-end ties that would fit the word "tacky" better
    Uhh... Stefano Ricci?

3. Soph

Soph Senior member

Uhh... Stefano Ricci?

Tacky, man other than some of those god awful ricci dress shirts with stripes I'd say Artoli is a world leader in the 'witches' wear:
    http://www.artioli.com/html/collec/foto7.jpg
    Tacky Elite

4. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

IMHO the best ties I own are (in no particular order)

Hermes - what's with Hermes here ? I wouldn't wear all of their models, but in Europe, understated Hermes in typical colors (navy, light blue, red and blue) are definitely part of the wardrobe of any classical dresser. I like their knots (small), and IMHO the way their patterns (made from animals or objects) look almost geometrical from the distance is second to none. Excellent silk, good construction. A bit overpriced, but still very reasonable in comparison to others.

Breuer - patterns are a little less conservative (I love their assymetrical patterns -i.e., a small pattern disseminated over the tie seemingly at random), nice knot, nice fabric. The ties I own are definitely narrower than others (comparable to Hermes, IMHO).

Borrelli - nice fabric (but extremely fragile), nice knot, nice construction. Not to be bought at full retail value!

La Foderata - a totally unknown label I think, it's a tie I bought by coincidence at a reputable men's store in Brussels. Nice construction, subtle pattern, knots beautifully.

New & Lingwood - very good construction, nice patterns, nice knots. The classical tie itself.

5. NYCESQ

NYCESQ Well-Known Member

My favorites are:

1. Bvlgari 7-folds (Although some of their patterns are just plain awful)
    2. Luciano Barbera 7-folds (Rare, great designs)
    3. Canali Exclusive Label (Perfect knots)
    4. Charvet (Great knots, but very delicate)
    5. Brioni (Perfect length for me as I am 6'3" and Brioni tends to cut longer)
    6. Alcione Milano (Don't know anything about this brand, never seen
    them before or since, but I picked up a few last year and they
    are awesome)

And my favorite ties of all are two limited edition Tino Cosma 7-folds. IMO they are head and shoulders above any other tie that I have ever seen in terms of silk, construction, and design. They are the ultimate 7-folds.

6. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

iammatt: I really like that Rubinacci you posted. Is that yours? I might try googling Rubinacci.

As an aside, sometimes I hate coming here because it tempts me to buy more. And, that hurts my wallet. [​IMG]

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

iammatt: I really like that Rubinacci you posted. Is that yours? I might try googling Rubinacci.

As an aside, sometimes I hate coming here because it tempts me to buy more. And, that hurts my wallet. [​IMG]

Yes, it is my tie. From what I know, you can only buy them from his shops in London, Milan, Rome and Naples. I am sure that they would ship to you if you so desired.

Without a doubt, it ties the nicest knot of any tie that I own.

8. Chris "Italia"

Chris "Italia" Senior member

Best Ties: Tino Cosma.

9. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Another vote for Bizzocchi ties. Very well made by hand and tasteful patterns-some beautiful repps at Mark Shale here in Atlanta.

I also like Kiton seven-folds. The silk is a heavy twill that knots perfectly and works well with my spread collar collection.

I like Hermes too but only the patterns that don't scream "I bought an Hermes tie".

I have a few Brionis but their design selection is often way too flashy Roman for me. I have a few Best of Class Talbott's are they are very good but finding a classic pattern in their styles is tricky at best.

I have seen a few recent Charvets I like a lot but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

10. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Best Ties: Tino Cosma and Italo Ferretti.
    How do you know?

11. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

How do you know?
    Yeah, I don't even think he's started a thread asking who makes them yet.

12. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Best Ties: Tino Cosma.

The Tino Cosma ties that I had from when they had a store on 5th Ave. were very nice patterns and silk but the construction was shoddy.

13. Panzeraxe II

Panzeraxe II Senior member

Drakes, Marinella, Luciano Barbera, Hardy Amies (also made by Drakes I suspect), Battistoni

People here love Udeshi and Nicky - I am lukewarm on both brands

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I've tried hating Charvet. I hate that I love their weaves better than anyone else's. I hate that I love the knot they make. I hate the way they come apart if you are not careful. I hate the way they have gone up in price from what I used to pay for them at BG. I've found some good ties (Drakes, Turnbull, Borrelli, Marinella) in my quest to forget Charvet. But alas, love is love [​IMG] . Charvet's weaves are untouchable in their beauty. I've never felt so exquisitely dressed as when I wear Charvet. Women are frozen in their tracks, horses' manes stand on end, the corner falafel guy gives me the chicken from last week instead of the month-old..... I just can't quit Charvet.

[​IMG]

im so lucky to have a charvet as well, although , i havent worn it yet!

anyone know where i can take a look at mulberrywood ties? i want to look at their paisley collection

15. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

He used to do some RTW for Barney's etc. The ones I am talking about are only sold out of his bespoke ateliers. They are a whold different ballgame.

Here is a picture. The edges are all hand rolled like a pocket square and there is no lining whatsoever. His selection of silks is conservative but lovely.[​IMG]

Nice looking tie Matt. [​IMG]

Are Anna Matuozzo's ties at this level as well?