• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Things Considered, the Best Ties

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting how the names Charvet and Hermes didn't come up. Nor did Mulberrywood, who have just made me what is probably my best tie in terms of quality of silk and construction. However, this is a small sample. AlanC, are the Breuer ties better than Faconnable's regular line?

Just for fun, I found this website where you'll find ties by many of the makers mentioned above. BTW, does anyone have any experience with Borrelli ties?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
AlanC, are the Breuer ties better than Faconnable's regular line?
I don't know. I don't own any Faconnable branded ties, but it is my understanding that Breuer makes (made?) them.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really liked the Breuer patterns I saw this season, but ties were very narrow
confused.gif
(Kent Wang-worthy). Is Breuer German or French?

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been a lot of Brioni ties on eBay the last few months. Anybody have any experience with/opinions about Brioni? Given the quality of everything else they sell, you'd have to think the ties would be too.

Alan, Breuer appears to be one line of ties produced by (for?) Faconnable, but they have others too.

old dover trad

Reaction score
Who Do You Think Has The Best Repp Ties? I Have Some By Brooks And J.press But My Favorite One Is Made By Talbott.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Is Breuer German or French?

Austrian, I believe

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Austrian, I believe
I think that's right. However, on the website I included above, there's at least one tie that is described as "Breuer by Faconnable" "made in France." As they say, the thick plotens.
smile.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
There have been a lot of Brioni ties on eBay the last few months. Anybody have any experience with/opinions about Brioni? Given the quality of everything else they sell, you'd have to think the ties would be too.

There seem to be 2 lines of Brioni ties, one made of very thin, raglike silk which I think are printed and don't impress me at all, and heavier woven ties. I own two of the wovens and I like them very much. Their construction quality and weight of silk seems comparable to my T&A tie, not as heavy as Drakes or Carlo Franco. I like many of the Brioni patterns and would buy more on ebay if I weren't suspicious of their origin.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have found Canali ties hard to beat--for sturdy construction, excellent knots, tasteful designs, they're tops in my book. I'd give second place to Charvet--probably more elegant than Canali, but they strike me as a little delicate. I have one Battistoni tie. If it is typical, I rank them right up there with Canali. Brioni might be next up on my list--elegant, nice designs but seem less durable than Canali. The one Massimo Bizzochi tie I have I'd give high marks to as well. Some others that I like but not quite as well as the foregoing would include Kiton, Zegna and Talbott.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
I have found Canali ties hard to beat--for sturdy construction, excellent knots, tasteful designs, they're tops in my book.

Interesting, ill try a Canali tie.

I love Drakes, Charvet, Holliday + Brown, Atkinson's, Charles Hill for Turnbull + Asser and of course

Carlo Franco:

http://www.filmnoirbuff.com/article/...-fold-we-weave

Although, the guy above is right he needs to liven up the collection, but he's just starting out. Also the ties are so much hotter in person than those terrible web shots he has. ive seen swatches of almost all of them.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Just because tiedeals.com says it doesn't mean it's true. Breuer is a French company--their ties are hand made in France--that has also made ties for Faconnable. There is no plot to thicken, to my knowledge. I've never seen any narrow ties of theirs, but it may be. The ones I have (4) and have seen (lots) are of standard ~3.75" width (I've not measured).

Here is their website: www.breuer.fr, offered in French or English. They seem to carry a variety of Breuer branded clothing items.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Just because tiedeals.com says it doesn't mean it's true. Breuer is a French company--their ties are hand made in France--that has also made ties for Faconnable. There is no plot to thicken, to my knowledge. I've never seen any narrow ties of theirs, but it may be. The ones I have (4) and have seen (lots) are of standard ~3.75" width (I've not measured).

Here is their website: www.breuer.fr, offered in French or English. They seem to carry a variety of Breuer branded clothing items.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew there was an Austrian connection but didn't know it stopped during WWII

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For no holds barred luxury, I would say that the Rubinacci unlined 7-fold ties are the finest that I have ever seen
I agree. The silk is thick and very high quality...very easy to come out with a nice knot.

The downside is that the selection of silks are (in my opinion) extremely conservative...almost boring. I would love to own more Rubinacci ties, but it's difficult to find pattern and colors that I like.

The edges are all hand rolled like a pocket square and there is no lining whatsoever
I love this feature on my ties (not just Rubinacci). I think it makes the tie feel lighter, and another side benefit is that the tip seems to follow your body line when you're seated...instead of just pointing out like an arrow.

BTW, does anyone have any experience with Borrelli ties?
I think Borrelli is good for people who like youthful prints. They have weaves too, but it seems that the print designs stand out from other brands (very colorful and youthful). I think the silk is thin (the feel is similar to Drakes prints...soft) but it's not difficult to get a nice knot (it's probably better to use a larger knot than a 4iH)

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've tried hating Charvet. I hate that I love their weaves better than anyone else's. I hate that I love the knot they make. I hate the way they come apart if you are not careful. I hate the way they have gone up in price from what I used to pay for them at BG. I've found some good ties (Drakes, Turnbull, Borrelli, Marinella) in my quest to forget Charvet. But alas, love is love
inlove.gif
. Charvet's weaves are untouchable in their beauty. I've never felt so exquisitely dressed as when I wear Charvet. Women are frozen in their tracks, horses' manes stand on end, the corner falafel guy gives me the chicken from last week instead of the month-old..... I just can't quit Charvet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads