• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Things Considered, the Best Ties

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
lol8[1].gif

im so lucky to have a charvet as well, although , i havent worn it yet!

anyone know where i can take a look at mulberrywood ties? i want to look at their paisley collection

The best ties in the world are blue:
KIF_5453.jpg

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I'd post some of my Kitons but someone might dissect my reply.
smile.gif

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say that I now have a higher opinion of the Robt. Talbott Best of Class ties than I did when I put up my own version of a tie hierarchy months ago on AAAC. At that time, I saw them as a Tier 2 tie--very good, but not quite up to the Tier 1 lines like Kiton, Carlo Franco, Sam Hober, Charvet, Borrelli, Marinella, Attolini, Isaia, Bulgari, and Hermes, a number of these Tier 1 ties being sevenfold. It's possible the Talbott sevenfolds belong in this top class, but not having any to evaluate, I left them out. I've discovered that the Talbott BOC ties, however, although perhaps not up to the top-tier lines vis-a-vis silk quality and construction (and thus likely still best considered a Tier 2 tie) do include some wonderful patterns that are nicer than anything I've seen from other tiemakers. This is particularly true, in my opinion, with respect to their paisleys, Diorshoe. BTW, I too am eagerly awaiting the unveiling of the July Sam Hober paisleys--evidently a happening about to happen shortly!
smile.gif

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what tier it would fall into, but I just returned from T.J. Maxx with a tie that seems to compare well with the some of the nicest Talbott BOC ties I've run across. Its an Alby and both the construction and silk seem to be to be quite good. Any experience with these ties here?

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I'd post some of my Kitons but someone might dissect my reply.
smile.gif

Here are two of my Kitons...

kitoncw0.jpg

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Like Roger, I have found the Best of Class Talbotts to be good ties. I just wish their styling was a bit more to my liking. I like about 1 in 10 pattern wise.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are just a few of my favorite ties in my current rotation... my favorites of these, in order, are Kiton, Charvet, Battistoni, Tino Cosma, Isaia, Kolte, Canali, Ferragamo, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Hilditch & Key, Barbera, Oxxford, Ede and Ravenscroft, Breuer, and Bettini.
53955671be0.jpg
31579215zj0.jpg
26232035fn9.jpg
69491052cn6.jpg
39150630zr7.jpg
35689729no8.jpg

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Like Roger, I have found the Best of Class Talbotts to be good ties. I just wish their styling was a bit more to my liking. I like about 1 in 10 pattern wise.

Robert Talbott 7 folds and Estate ties are fantastic. BOC line is very good (older grey labelled less so), but hit or miss styling wise. Fortunately, they have a lot of variety.

When you go up to the Estate, you get the interlining string, a self-keeper, and usually a nicer design. Here is a RT Estate.

waywt016.jpg

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
He used to do some RTW for Barney's etc. The ones I am talking about are only sold out of his bespoke ateliers. They are a whold different ballgame.

Here is a picture. The edges are all hand rolled like a pocket square and there is no lining whatsoever. His selection of silks is conservative but lovely.
rutieditedlarge2sz.jpg

Wow, that tie makes me tingle....I need a few minutes alone.

coachvu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
Robert Talbott 7 folds and Estate ties are fantastic. BOC line is very good (older grey labelled less so), but hit or miss styling wise. Fortunately, they have a lot of variety.

When you go up to the Estate, you get the interlining string, a self-keeper, and usually a nicer design. Here is a RT Estate.

waywt016.jpg

I've never heard of or seen Estate ties. Is this line considered higher quality than Best of Class but still one notch below 7 folds? How much do they normally cost at full price?

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
I've never heard of or seen Estate ties. Is this line considered higher quality than Best of Class but still one notch below 7 folds? How much do they normally cost at full price?

Yes, you got it right. Normal retail is around 150-160 I think, but I find them on sale for under 100. Btw, there is also a Bond Street line, which is in between BoC and Estate too.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that Robert Talbott products are really top notch. The silk pocket squares are excellent, the workmanship is always solid and the prices are very good for what you are getting. Their tie silks tend not to be right up my alley, but if you see ones that you like I think they are both a "best buy" and really top quality.

Their store in Carmel is very nice and they have a better selection than you see some buyers buy from them.

CodeRed

Reaction score
I splurged recently on a Tolbett 7 fold...very thick and great pattern, my best tie, but i must say that the best deals that to be had are on the BOC at Nordstrom's rack they are a tremendous value., i just got 5 new gorgeous BOC ties for around $25 each. They are really great ties, but you do have to be very selective on the patterns, so that they will match your suits or you wind up buying a pretty tie that you will never wear.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Their store in Carmel is very nice and they have a better selection than you see some buyers buy from them.
True. The New York store last I visited had more tasteful patterns/styles than my local Nordies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads