• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

~~All Styles Considered Volume 2~~

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
@LonerMatt

ps the e-mail address under "Got Questions?" has a typo

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Seafood Soondubu Jjigae - Seafood Soft Tofu Stew

As requested... the ghetto version for @g transistor.

One thing that is absolutely necessary is a korean earthenware pot. They retain heat much better than normal pots do, and is necessary for getting the proper taste. They're easy to find enough on the internet. A medium size one should do you well. Tried to make this accessible to people who don't have access to an Asian supermarket. This is preeeetty similar to what you'd get at BCD or something, but I'm fairly certain they use a Korean beef stock for their base and have dadaegi to flavor the soup with. This will taste cleaner from the seafood base, but will not have the same kind of depth since dadaegi is difficult to make without the right ingredients.

Ingredients:
1. Ttukbaegi (Korean Earthenware Pot)
2. 1 pack of Silken Tofu
3. 1-2 clove(s) of Garlic, minced
4. Coarse Gochugaru (Korean Red Pepper Flakes)
5. Kombu/Dashi Stock
6. Shrimp, littleneck clams (preferable), other seafood
7. Fermented Kimchi (if making Kimchi soondubu)
8. 1-2 Jalapeño pepper, finely minced (remove the seeds if you want the flavor but not the spice) (optional)
9. 1 Thai pepper, finely minced (optional)
10. 1 green onion, chopped
11. Salt to taste
12. Egg (optional)

1. Prep your ingredients. If your (large) clams are uncooked, boil them first, remove the scum, remove them from their shell and chop them, and use that broth as part of your base. Alternatively, if you're (smart) using small clams that will cook quickly, just clean them by leaving them in a water bath for about an hour, remove them from the water, scrub them clean against each other under running water, and add them with your other seafood later.
2. Turn up the heat high and put that ttukbaegi on there.
2a. If making kimchi soondubu, stir fry the kimchi and garlic with a dollop of vegetable oil in the ttukbaegi first. Once it starts turning translucent, you're good to go.
3. Add kombu stock to fill about 3/4th of the ttukbaegi and add the garlic.
4. Add your seafood. If you want it a bit more savory, 1 tbps of fish sauce will do the trick.
5. Add your coarse gochugaru depending on how spicy you want it.
6. Add your minced peppers, because you like your food spicy like a true Korean.
7. Add silken tofu. You'll probably use around half the pack.
8. Salt to taste. Gently break up the tofu with your spoon (leave the chunks large).
9. Let it come to a hard boil. It's okay if it overflows. Probably around 5-6 minutes? but it depends how strong your stovetop is. Turn off the heat and put it on top of a coaster.
10. Crack an egg over it and cover it with the tofu to let it poach inside the soup.
11. Add chopped green onion on top to make it look pretty.

If you notice, I don't really follow a recipe when I cook so it's kind of a look and feel kind of thing for me 8D. This is too ****** for print so yeah. Someone else can edit it or something.

edit:
My mama said that you can make it taste ~*better*~ by mixing the gochugaru with some sesame oil and making some ghetto dadaegi out of it. I have no idea what the ratio is because Asian moms eyeball everything. It's probably not that much sesame oil though. I'm going to assume a 1:1 ratio or something close to that.

I recommend against using mussels. It adds an offtaste from my experience.

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks mate, fixed it.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bout two weeks left to submit! Hope to see something from y'all.

If you are having trouble, check out the 1st edition to see what type of stuff we're interested in (hint: everything)

To those of you who got a physical copy of the first one, wouldn't it be cool to have somethin of your own printed?

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Farmers,

As of just now we have 20 users who have submitted for the zine. We've got music, photos, writing and other forms of art - I haven't had the chance to look at it all yet, but I'm just really chuffed to have so many submissions from so many users - thank you.

If you're like me and have been lazy there's still the rest of today to submit.

Once again thank you for submitting, thanks for following along, thanks for helping make the internet circle a bit smaller!

Matt

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any updates?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads