1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

ALFRED SARGENT Appreciation: Handgrade, Exclusive, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitedDx, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Roger la Rock

Roger la Rock Senior member

7wk Vs 3050fx Last Comparison

[​IMG]
    Hampstead on 7wk last in black calf.

[​IMG]
    Russell on 3050fx last in walnut grain.

[​IMG]
    7wk last (Hampstead black) compared to 3050fx (Russell walnut), both UK size 7.

2. sask boot

sask boot Senior member

Thank you Roger! I am still on the fence about the jcrew AS boot.

3. sinfjotli

sinfjotli Senior member

Hi guys, I wanted to ask if you know of any retailers in London that stock Alfred Sargent shoes? Seeing all the beautiful pictures in this thread makes me want to check them out in person next time I'll go there.

4. epc2

epc2 Senior member

Hi guys,

I'm looking at the AS double monk on the Jcrew site , I'm not familiar with AS sizes but after reading this thread it looks like they're on the 7wk last which fits similar to barrie , what I don't know is if Jcrew size is US or UK?. Since thy don't mention anything about sizing like they do with Alden Barrie shoes.

Thanks.

5. Roger la Rock

Roger la Rock Senior member

I can't tell you exactly what last the double monk is on, but the shape is wrong for the 7wk, too square in the toe. Maybe the 99 the Ramsey is on. I would be very surprised to see a country last used for a double monk.

6. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

The 99 is a safe guess; it is definitely not on the 7wk. I would say contact AS but I do not know their contact information since Chay left.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  7. epc2

epc2 Senior member

Thanks guys any idea of sizing in the 99 compared to Barrie?.

Thanks.

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Depends on the conversion by J Crew. I wear the same size Barrie as my AS 99 (6.5D = 6.5F). Note that all my AS have been AS branded shoes not made for US shops.

9. ers04004

ers04004 Well-Known Member

Just got the AS for Jcrew double monks today. The sizes they post on the website are US size equivalents and the sales person says they fit true to size. However when I tried them on the US 10 was more like a UK 9.5, definitely roomier than I am used to. I would say go down half a size from your normal US size unless you have wide feet.

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

How would you say an Alfred Sargent for J Crew compares to an Alfred Sargent Exclusive say that were purchased from Pediwear or a Fine Pair of Shoes. In regards to leather used and last, or do you know?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  11. epc2

epc2 Senior member

Any pics?

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

Looking at the photos, they look in line with the old Alfred Sargent premier line, or the Herring Royal line, not can't be certain.

13. ers04004

Just got a few quick pics from my phone, overall I am not overly impressed with them.

The color is nice, and the leather is ok but not up to the level I would expect from the AS exclusive line, though my only experience with AS is a chelsea boot I saw at Leffot. I usually wear C&J and these definitely feel a level below in terms of leather quality and construction. On the other hand they are more affordable especially with the WIT20 coupon code on Jcrew to get 20% off. With the discount it comes to about 420 which is 200 or so less than the C&J lowndes.

Dont get my wrong its not awful by any means but for me personally id be happier with Carmina for a similar price point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I've seen the AS shoes in SoHo and they are closer to the older Premier line. The leather is not as finished as well as Exclusive shoes and the soles are not oak bark tanned (I believe). This is reflected in the price since they are much less than the Exclusive line.

The older AS Premier line was good at the price point and comparable to C&J BG and Carmina (although I prefer the hardier leather used by UK makers).

15. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Thanks for the update and your pictures.

Enjoy your shoes.
    Thanks for the information and your thoughts.

It's really too bad J Crew couldn't just sell shoes from their exclusive line instead, but I would imagine the prices being a bit more than one could already buy from a Fine Pair of Shoes or Pediwear.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  16. wurger

wurger Senior member

Herring Fiennes by Alfred Sargent in action

[​IMG]

17. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

^^wurger, nice pick up. Care to comment on quality?

18. wurger

wurger Senior member

it's the same level of quality on the Exclusive line, however, the leather on the facing around the laces are rather creased.

Overall, very happy.

19. luzer

luzer Senior member

hi i got the same shoes this week. i have a sizing question:

the shoe itself says "7.5 UK 8 US" on the inside
    the shoebox says "8.5 US " on it
    i ordered a JCREW 8.5 US Size
    i wear a 9 in most shoes, and a 8.5 in an alden modified last.
    so i ordered a 8.5 US (JCREW Size).

is that correct?

20. ers04004

Thats a good question. When I ordered the size 10 (jcrew site) the box and the shoe said US 10, and inside the shoe I saw UK 9.5 US 10.