• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

Northampton21

Reaction score

Quite tempted with these at the moment too the AS Cambridge on the 87 last.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
Got my Radwells today. They are great as I expected. There had been a lot of good pictures of the Radwell posted lately, but I haven't seen pics of it on foot, so I'll contribute a couple of iphotos of the shoes "in action".

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my Radwells today. They are great as I expected. There had been a lot of good pictures of the Radwell posted lately, but I haven't seen pics of it on foot, so I'll contribute a couple of iphotos of the shoes "in action".

Excellent choice, I just got mine about a week ago.

Congrats!!!!

Swede66

Reaction score

Awesome!

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

724 is a great boot last! My AFPoS x AS Millers look great because of the sharp lines. Wear in good health!

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone comment on what is Pinner Suede?

It's dark brown suede. Looks almost black in shadow, but is clearly brown under light.

I have the Ramsay in pinner suede. Sorry no pics.

Last edited:

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, is it close to Expresso, mink, or polo?

Close to espresso; perhaps the same color just described differently. Pediwear calls the Herrick espresso suede not pinner suede. So does AS's facebook page. EG's mink suede is probably around the same, but I don't have any experience with that except web pictures. Polo suede is definitely redder and lighter.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my first post here. I decided to make use of the Pediwear free shoe tree offer and their excellent service to order a few pairs of Alfred Sargents.

I really like the shape of the shoes, especially with their slim waists that are usually available on top tier hand grade shoes. When I read from the shoe snob that Herring has released their own AS line, I bought a pair of Drake.

While there are some negative comments on AS diverting their resources to deliver Herring’s line, I personally don’t see that is a bad financial decision for AS. I for one, wanted for a pair of capped toe oxfords, Pendle in AS Handgrade MTO line, however, I can’t justify the extra 250 pounds and weeks of waiting for a pair of shoes.

So when I saw the Herring Drake in Oxblood, I bought it straight away, it’s just a Pendle in Herring 1966 last. AS isn’t the only company that does private lines, and may be for them, if they can out supply 2 or 3 pairs of RTW to each pair of MTO, it’s more profitable, and one would also think private lines’ demand be more stable and easy to manage and forecast.

From my point of view, it’s been a great success for AS since they revamped their structure and moved up market where the real money can be made. Their Exclusive Line with bevelled waist and channelled sole is a grade above all benchgrade shoes from Church’s, Cheaney, Crockett and Jones, Trickers (those shoes around 300 pounds; similar to CJ handgrade (400 to 500 pounds), below the John Lobbs, Edward Greens, G & G.

Reading from Uptowndandy’s blog, Chay Cooper said “AS Exclusive was launched after the Handgrade line with the remit to become the best ready to wear English made shoes whilst being more affordable than the Handgrade line”.

From my limited research before making the purchase, CJ handgrade takes 6 to 8 weeks from ordering to delivering, (I am from Australia, so online is the only option), so it’s not really RTW, that leaves AS Exclusive as the only line that is bordering handgrade, or entry level handgrade (Justin The Shoe Snob wrote on his post on Herring 1966 collection “this brings us to their new venture into the world of handgrade shoes with their new collaboration with Alfred Sargent”) that is readily available in all sizes from various online stores, no email special orders, just order with click-click. So AS found itself an exclusive niche market that it should concentrate its resources on.

Sunday Morning Shoe polish

My humble AS collection

From left to right: 109, 99, 1966, 724

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 2 pairs of Allen Edmonds, I guess comparing to Alfred Sargent, their toes are more symmetrical and waist are wider, both represent the different design style of England and America shoes well.

Armfield VS Park Avenue

Pimlico VS Kenilworth

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads