• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ADVICE NEEDED: Resolve unsatisfactory product from forum vendor

styleophile

Reaction score
I commissioned a CMT jacket from a forum vendor with a long history and following on SF. We had extensive communication during the process that is well documented. I requested a full floating canvas construction and believe I was charged accordingly.

The process was typical: I provided measurements, one of my own jackets to use as a 'template' and pictures of myself in that jacket. Communication was challenging but not unusual or unexpected. The fit of the item was not good - again not totally unexpected. I took pictures, sent it back for them to make adjustments. They were willing and communicative. However what came back appeared to be unchanged from before.

I had commissioned the jacket for an event, so I wore it as is. When I took it to my tailor here in the US to see if he could make the needed adjustments, he said it was a fully fused construction and not much could be done about it.

Needless to say, I was very surprised and disappointed. I let it sit for a bit, so as not to react emotionally. I have asked myself - is this a misunderstanding or is this misrepresentation and deceit?

How does one solve this constructively? I have noticed that launching a discussion on the forum will bring out the fanboys and vitriol to match our current political discourse :slapfight:

Help!

bensm1th

Reaction score
I'd say you got ripped off. A full floating canvass is very, very different from a fused canvass. Night and day difference. I sell a lot of suits on eBay. Many times I'd rather have one fully canvassed jacket than 20 fused ones. My thoughts.

styleophile

Reaction score
I'd say you got ripped off. A full floating canvass is very, very different from a fused canvass. Night and day difference. I sell a lot of suits on eBay. Many times I'd rather have one fully canvassed jacket than 20 fused ones. My thoughts.

I share your opinion. I am not sure how to address and resolve it. This vendor has many loyal fans on SF. If I were to post on their official thread, I am not convinced that the discussion will be productive.

Sfroide3

Reaction score
Ask them for a full refund as it wasn't what was ordered. if they refuse, feel free to use your credit card fraud protection.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first thought is whether you can be certain of what your tailor told you. What kind of alterations did you request? Most simple alterations on a jacket can be performed on a fused or canvassed jacket AFAIK. So the statement that they can’t alter a fused jacket raises a red flag. Second, it is very easy for you to tell whether the jacket is fully canvassed or not. Look up “pinch test”. If you can’t feel a floating canvas layer at the bottom of the jacket then it is not fully canvassed.

styleophile

Reaction score
Ask them for a full refund as it wasn't what was ordered. if they refuse, feel free to use your credit card fraud protection.

That does seem like the simplest solution. I have been hesitant to go down the path since it is never that simple.

styleophile

Reaction score
My first thought is whether you can be certain of what your tailor told you. What kind of alterations did you request? Most simple alterations on a jacket can be performed on a fused or canvassed jacket AFAIK. So the statement that they can’t alter a fused jacket raises a red flag. Second, it is very easy for you to tell whether the jacket is fully canvassed or not. Look up “pinch test”. If you can’t feel a floating canvas layer at the bottom of the jacket then it is not fully canvassed.

Appreciate your presenting the other side.

Very reputable tailor that I have known for a decade. I cannot afford his going rates for bespoke work hence experimented with a well regarded on the forums MTO. The fabric we used made the pinch test subtle for a non-professional like me.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still not clear to me what alterations you requested and why they would not be possible with a fused jacket.

If the jacket is indeed fused then you should first go to the maker directly. Is it possible that there was a miscommunication? You wrote "I requested a full floating canvas construction and believe I was charged accordingly." This doesn't sound like you are certain that you were charged for a full canvas. I don't see how it helps you to out them here -- at least not yet.

If in fact it is clear that the maker agreed to make a fully canvassed jacket and charged you accordingly, I would strongly recommend that you have proof that the jacket is fused. Ideally I'd ask your tailor to detach part of the lining so that you can see the fusing and absence of a floating canvas layer, and then take a photo to send to the maker. If they will not compensate you to your satisfaction (e.g. refund or remake) then I would take it up with your credit card company -- but again it would help to have firmer evidence than "my tailor says it's fused." Emails documenting your request for a full canvas and/or an invoice stating this would also help, of course.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads