• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Absinthe’s mind-altering mystery solved

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
A friend of mine brought back a decent absinthe from barcelona. I took three straight shots of it and felt a different kind of drunk but nothing mind-altering. It was like a very light marijuna trip.

This was pretty much my absinthe experience, too. Got pretty drunk on it, and it was a different kind of drunk (just like gin drunk is different from whiskey drunk is different from beer drunk, etc). On a sliding scale of types of drunkenness, with "I feel slow and stupid, and I think I just got hit in the head by a truck" at 1 and "Everything I say is ******* hilarious and I love everyone in the world" at 100, I'd say it was about a 25 or 30.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lucid is pretty good, as American-approved absinthes go.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Absinthe does not cause hallucinations. That is a myth that needs dispelled.

Myth, Reality and Absinthe - The Truth about Thujone

Absinthe has always had an ambivalent history, on one hand it was praised as "˜The Green Muse' by its devotees, and on the other it was condemned by it detractors as a cause of madness and moral degeneracy. But is there any scientific or medical basis for either position? Evidence for mind-altering effects is largely anecdotal and the frequently quoted first-hand descriptions of its mind-altering effects have come from artists and poets who may be expected to describe events in a fanciful manner. Imbibers of alcohol have always described their favourite tipple in extravagant terms, whether it be Burns on whisky or Yeats on wine. The case for its harmful effect is largely based on research on laboratory animals conducted at the behest of the prohibitionist lobby and assumptions drawn from examinations of mental patients in the late 19th century.

Continue reading for the full story...

Enzo

Reaction score
I believe it was the real stuff, I didn't buy it myself, a friend of mine had it. I couldn't read the label because he bought the bottle online from Prague, so it was all in Czech. I think my cousin who lives with me might buy a bottle or two for himself, I'll be sure to check it out again.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Enzo
I believe it was the real stuff, I didn't buy it myself, a friend of mine had it. I couldn't read the label because he bought the bottle online from Prague, so it was all in Czech. I think my cousin who lives with me might buy a bottle or two for himself, I'll be sure to check it out again.

The "absinthe" coming from the Czech Republic is in no way related to the original, authentic absinthe of the late 1800s. The only similarities is that it's sometimes green and has thujone in it, lots and lots of thujone. What is going on is that they're capitalizing on the lure and mystic of this "forbidden liquor," but have no connection to the original recipes or tradition. What they are producing is glorified mouthwash spiked with vodka. The **** is disgusting and poisonous. Sure, you might feel "high" and start having hallucinations but that's because your body is dying.

That said, there are a ton of really great Czech vodkas and beers. They just happen to be ******* awful at making "absinthe."

Enzo

Reaction score
Good to know, then where would someone go to get good quality absinthe from?

jhao

Reaction score
I've tried it and it's very strong. Here in Mexico, at least in my city,you can get a lighter version of it for around $ 25 us dollars at high end clubs.

The process in very strange, not like in the alfie movie. I'm gonna try to describe the process to see if it's the same that yours.

You need 2 glasses, 1 lighter and 1 napkin.

The absinthe is in one small glass ( glass 1), with the lighter they burn it, put it on fire, then you change the absinthe to the other glass ( glass 2) and quickly put the glass 1 down face with the napkin in the border.

Then you drink the asbinthe that's in glass 2, and then take the glass 1 and inhale what's inside, that´s when the real punch comes.

And then your friends tell you, thanks for coming as you won't remenber anything but flashes of that night.

I've alse seen red absinthe, and a friend who owns a bar told me that is lighter, somebody else have seen this kind of absinthe?

Enzo

Reaction score
Whoa I've never seen it done like that or have I ever heard of or seen red absinthe. The way my buddy prepared it was just mixing it with ice water and a sugar cube. That other way sounds intense. Anyone know anything about the red absinthe?

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Enzo
Good to know, then where would someone go to get good quality absinthe from?

Liqueurs de France is who I order through. Good prices, good selection. I don't know what your budget it is like, but Clandestine 53 La Bleue is very good and one of the more affordable absinthes they have. I would have recommended Un Emile but they don't appear to carry it anymore. Sometimes they'll offer sampler packs on the site. That's always a good way to sample different varieties.

Enzo

Reaction score
Thanks a lot man, anyone know anything about the red absinthe mentioned earlier?

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think ive seen the red, and yes it was weaker. but many times it just depends on the brand, as there are tons and tons of them. ive heard about people melting sugar cubes, and then lighting the absenth on fire, and then drinking it. thats how many people do it.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want to hallucinate, drop some acid.
teacha.gif

Checo7

Reaction score
my experience was seeing double while not totally drunk and not being able to control it. It was a bit disturbing. I cant remember the brand, but it was strong. I'm probably to blame for doing it on an empty stomach.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads