• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A tuxedo - suggestions for a slim guy on an equally slim budget

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What I'm currently considering is JCrew's shawl-collar tuxedo: http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/suiting/blacktie/PRDOVR~50676/50676.jsp however, after reading various threads throughout Style Forum, the roughly $900 for the JCrew tuxedo seems to be extremely overpriced for the quality of the garment. 

Another thought: Does J.Crew offer 20% off for opening a credit card in Canada as well? In the US it's only $790 so I'm not sure if the Canadian prices are higher or if it's just the conversion rate, but after the credit card bonus it would only be $632 here. And while that's still overpriced for a J.Crew suit if you can't find another that fits at that price point then it's pretty nice looking, which is what really matters.

Tailor Dan

Reaction score
They all look ok. But why are you getting a British off the peg from a suit that fits. There are tailors in USA that can make you a tuxedo for around a $1000. I work for one. I'm in England and I can do a tuxedo for under $1000 so not sure why you wish to go down the off the rack route especially when you're tall and lean?

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

BrandonJG

Reaction score
Perhaps this in a 36: http://www1.bloomingdales.com/shop/...o?ID=435207&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results
Or if you can find this: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...t?ID=580327&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results (you'd have to have the belt loops hacked off by a tailor)
Are you a member of Gilt? Sometimes they'll have Martin Greenfield tuxedos for about a grand.

Thanks, but the Hilfiger tuxedo can't be shipped to Canada, and the Boss Black Grant tuxedo has a very classic silhouette/fit. I am on Gilt, yeah, and I did see the Martin Greenfield tuxedos, but they were picked up in my size right away.

They all look ok. But why are you getting a British off the peg from a suit that fits. There are tailors in USA that can make you a tuxedo for around a $1000. I work for one. I'm in England and I can do a tuxedo for under $1000 so not sure why you wish to go down the off the rack route especially when you're tall and lean?

I'm not too sure what you're saying, Dan. I'm in Canada and traveling to the U.S., and especially England for a tuxedo is out of the question right now. With some adjustments, a slim fitting can suit can fit me well OTR I'm sure.

I'm still leaning towards the SuitSupply 'tuxedo' that I linked to, that way I'll have a bit of a budget for shoes as well. Still, thanks for the suggestions.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, but the Hilfiger tuxedo can't be shipped to Canada, and the Boss Black Grant tuxedo has a very classic silhouette/fit. I am on Gilt, yeah, and I did see the Martin Greenfield tuxedos, but they were picked up in my size right away.

Got it. Wasn't suggesting you order from Macy's; they only have a 41L left online, but suggesting that perhaps a Canadian retailer sold the same one. I would also consider writing Gilt customer service as well; Greenfield is typically MTM-only and I believe Gilt orders all of those suits specifically for their sales so perhaps they can tell you when more will be coming and even pre-sell you one...

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

I'm not too sure what you're saying, Dan. I'm in Canada and traveling to the U.S., and especially England for a tuxedo is out of the question right now. With some adjustments, a slim fitting can suit can fit me well OTR I'm sure.

I'm still leaning towards the SuitSupply 'tuxedo' that I linked to, that way I'll have a bit of a budget for shoes as well. Still, thanks for the suggestions.
Hi Brandon What I mean is depending on when you need it by why not visit a tailors that can do it in your budget and have something tailored for you? If you are near Toronto or Vancouver at some point I have colleagues that could talk you through it and see if you could get something in your budget but completely made for you. That way you can style it as you like and have it fit as you like. Does that explain at all? If you need it next week then no, can't help. But if it's a couple of months away then you have good time to have one made. Seems a no brainier then get some off the rack that isn't made for you. http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have an H&M in the area? I was at one in LA today and they were selling shawl lapel tuxedos for about $270 US. They were mostly midnight, but a few black were there too. You'd probably require some tailoring to remove the belt loops from the trousers and close the vent (it came with a center vent). However it was otherwise proper: single button, black satin facings and trouser stripe. They are also pretty slim fitting and go as low as size 34.

rcoreytaylor

Reaction score
Brandon - I think you've got to keep all your options open here. I really like Tailor Dan's suggestion to find a local tailor and have him make you a suit. There has to be a few quality tailors in Victoria, you should probably get on the phone and call a few in the area (or take a day to do a recon of as many tailors as you need to get a feel for what's available).

The custom made option, although probably more affordable than you first thought, will take time and will be more $ than a quick RTW from the Bay, etc. Are you or someone you know going over to Vancouver sometime soon? If so it'd be worth checking H&M as they tend to have slimmer, smaller sizes (especially in Vancouver). While in the area you could check the Bay (which is easily one of the best Bay stores in the country for menswear) and you stop in to Brooks Brothers just to see what they have in stock -you never know! An affordable OTR might just get the job done for now until you can buy a MTM or custom later on.

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

Brandon - I think you've got to keep all your options open here. I really like Tailor Dan's suggestion to find a local tailor and have him make you a suit. There has to be a few quality tailors in Victoria, you should probably get on the phone and call a few in the area (or take a day to do a recon of as many tailors as you need to get a feel for what's available).
The custom made option, although probably more affordable than you first thought, will take time and will be more $ than a quick RTW from the Bay, etc. Are you or someone you know going over to Vancouver sometime soon? If so it'd be worth checking H&M as they tend to have slimmer, smaller sizes (especially in Vancouver). While in the area you could check the Bay (which is easily one of the best Bay stores in the country for menswear) and you stop in to Brooks Brothers just to see what they have in stock -you never know! An affordable OTR might just get the job done for now until you can buy a MTM or custom later on.

Great point about time. And agree on maybe H&M for doing some simple stoking OTR

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With £650, you can do much better than RTW H&M stuff

Essential

Reaction score
I tried to make a thread (similar to this one) but I think that I can't because I'm a new member. My post count goes up but I can't see my thread. Would anyone be willing to help me out if I posted it here? or can anyone willing to help on this topic PM me? It's almost the same situation as the OP.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With £650, you can do much better than RTW H&M stuff

Sure, but nobody is advocating he spend that amount on H&M RTW. Had there been an acceptable one available at the time that fit I'd have considered a $2-300 tuxedo from H&M instead of paying $1k at the Zegna outlet simply because I don't wear it very often. And the OP could always go the H&M route for the suit and use the rest of the money on impeccable finishings such as a MTM shirt, a good pair of shoes and a nice stud set.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure, but nobody is advocating he spend that amount on H&M RTW. Had there been an acceptable one available at the time that fit I'd have considered a $2-300 tuxedo from H&M instead of paying $1k at the Zegna outlet simply because I don't wear it very often. And the OP could always go the H&M route for the suit and use the rest of the money on impeccable finishings such as a MTM shirt, a good pair of shoes and a nice stud set.

O I am sorry, I realized the budget is for whole outfit, if that is the case, it will be very hard to get a decent black tie outfit, if OP was in UK, I would have advice him to go to John Lewis or M&S

But seriously, a pair of patent leather pumps would set you £250-£300, with the budget it is just too hard to go fully black tie

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

O I am sorry, I realized the budget is for whole outfit, if that is the case, it will be very hard to get a decent black tie outfit, if OP was in UK, I would have advice him to go to John Lewis or M&S
But seriously, a pair of patent leather pumps would set you £250-£300, with the budget it is just too hard to go fully black tie

I should clarify as well, I don't know whether this was a budget for the whole outfit or just the suit, I just made an assumption. The point I was really going for, and perhaps didn't properly convey was this: There is one reason and one reason only I spent a full $1k on my tux and that was that the Zegna outlet had $2,500 tuxedos for that price and I couldn't pass it up. Absent that kind of deal, I would have gone with the least expensive "proper" alternative available (I don't wear it often) and would much more readily have bought one at MSRP for $300 than $800-1k.

Were I buying today and an outlet trip proved fruitless/couldn't be done I would probably parse out $1k as follows (assuming it's for the whole outfit):

Suit: H&M, $270 + tailoring to remove belt loops/sew up vent so call it $325 all-in.

Shirt: If MTM can be had for $200, by all means. Otherwise I'd go as cheap as possible in the style you like (shirts can get ruined easily and the only part that matters is the bib since it's all that will be seen, so let's say $100.

Tie/Cummerbund: $235 will get you a good set from Ben Silver. I'd go cummerbund in case you don't have the belt loops removed from the trousers and need to cover them.

Shoes: I'd wear black calf that I already own.

That leaves a few hundred for a stud set which you will have forever. That's the part I'd spend the most on since it's the only part likely to last a good many years and stay in great shape.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads