• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A&S

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doxe
Wait! Did Vox just turn a threak back to the actual topic and away from a tangent?

Is this the End of Days???

He must be unwell ...

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
This is inaccurate. The mainstream Right opposes illegal immigration from Latin America (or anywhere else). You can choose to believe conservative Americans specifically hate on latinos for some heinously arbitrary, prejudicial reason, or you can realize they are simply emphasizing that our most obvious illegal immigration problem stems from Latin America.

In Europe, it seems many politically moderate people aren't upset about illegal immigration alone, but immigration as a whole. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

You are correct. It is illegal immigration that most American object to. In an earlier incarnation,
I was a Vice Counsel at US embassy in South America, for a time dealing with potential immigrants.
The majority of applicants were rejected. As for Europe's attitude, Chancellor Angela Merkel's speech
on the "Failure" of Germany's multiculture project is instructive:

http://www.indyposted.com/117754/ger...ism-a-failure/

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by comrade
You are correct. It is illegal immigration that most American object to. In an earlier incarnation,
I was a Vice Counsel at US embassy in South America, for a time dealing with potential immigrants.
The majority of applicants were rejected. As for Europe's attitude, Chancellor Angela Merkel's speech
on the "Failure" of Germany's multiculture project is instructive:

http://www.indyposted.com/117754/ger...ism-a-failure/

The problem with the mainstream right they like to play the immigration cards to gain votes and Merkel is the prime example..

Most mainsteam voters hate illegal immigration but the line between loathing illegal and legal immigrants is very easy to cross....

tailorgod

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Thats a lot of suits in a short period of time. I can see why they make so many mistakes.

The problem is that they have only a few cutters, so they probably leave most of the work to the making tailors without further control.
With so many orders to fulfil it's no wonder they hesitate or refuse to do alterations or re-cuts.

The "wear it for a while" is a pretty slick move.
If the owner of such a garment is wearing it long enough he either gets used to the "fit" or has met enough people who "like" it (after they heard the tailor's name, that is
nest.gif
).

I still think that at A&S they have problems to serve those men with "disproportionate figures", which in their case is either one with a full chest or wider hips, especially when those demand a tapered waist.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tailorgod
The problem is that they have only a few cutters, so they probably leave most of the work to the making tailors without further control.
With so many orders to fulfil it's no wonder they hesitate or refuse to do alterations or re-cuts.

The "wear it for a while" is a pretty slick move.
If the owner of such a garment is wearing it long enough he either gets used to the "fit" or has met enough people who "like" it (after they heard the tailor's name, that is
nest.gif
).

I still think that at A&S they have problems to serve those men with "disproportionate figures", which in their case is either one with a full chest or wider hips, especially when those demand a tapered waist.

When I went for my fitting, the gentleman from A&S told me I had a great body for tailoring...

I just stared at him waiting for a laugh not being exactly as toned as a model ..

He told some of their customers have incredible body measurements and one of them was making Quasimodo looking like an underwear model.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
He told some of their customers have incredible body measurements and one of them was making Quasimodo looking like an underwear model.

How classy of them.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
How classy of them.

Some of their customers are 80 plus.

He didn't give me any names...

Come on...

You're watching too much the religious channels ...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Some of their customers are 80 plus.

He didn't give me any names...

Come on...

You're watching too much the religious channels ...

Hahaha - nah, but seriously.

You'd expect a little bit more discretion from such 'esteemed' tailors.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
Hahaha - nah, but seriously.

You'd expect a little bit more discretion from such 'esteemed' tailors.

It's my fault...

I hate being formal and I tend to create an environment very far from the Suit you Sir Savile row normal customers...

I love having a good laugh ,telling stories and talking sports with them...

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Hitchcock Sr. notes that A&S takes orders for 300 to 400 suits on a three-city US trip. I thought that was interesting.
I'm going to borrow from iammatt ... JFC!

That is far greater than ever I would have imagined. This fall ... two days in SF ... two in Chicago ... five in New York ... that's between 33 and 44 suits a day. How many people do they see ... my appointments have usually been a hour ... so perhaps 8 to 11 per day. Well ... I guess that would be about right if they average 4+/- suits per person.

tailorgod

Reaction score
In the first episode of the BBC documentary on SR is a scene at A&S and the narrator is heard saying something like "...even the hunchback of Notre Dame would come out looking like Justin Timberlake"...

And JH is saying in a video: "We are like plastic surgeons, we can make you look good"!

When I went for my fitting, the gentleman from A&S told me I had a great body for tailoring... I just stared at him waiting for a laugh not being exactly as toned as a model ..
Not being toned like a model makes you perfect for their tailoring. Please post pictures of the final result. I hope you didn't ask for more open quarters...
lol8[1].gif

tailorgod

Reaction score
That is far greater than ever I would have imagined. This fall ... two days in SF ... two in Chicago ... five in New York ... that's between 33 and 44 suits a day. How many people do they see ... my appointments have usually been a hour ... so perhaps 8 to 11 per day. Well ... I guess that would be about right if they average 4+/- suits per person.

How many tailors are present at such events? Just JH and Colin Heywood or a few others?

We use a similar model for our MTM business (travelling to various cities in Germany to sell our suits), and
10 to 11 customers per day is not a problem for one tailor (even though it's hard to stay focussed at the end of such a day), but I would doubt that each customer does order 4 suits.

And don't forget the fittings, they use up time, too.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not being toned like a model makes you perfect for their tailoring. Please post pictures of the final result. I hope you didn't ask for more open quarters...
lol8[1].gif
[/quote]

No way Jose...

I have learned someone else's lesson...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads