• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Fine Pair of Shoes x Alfred Sargent MTO Thread

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, the only hesitation I have is that I have the C&J Somerville which is a brown bal boot. I am also not too much of a fan of suede.
So far AFPoS has two MTO set up (Exclusive range quality):
AS Miller Balmoral Boot using cognac shell cordovan with contrasting shaft using expresso suede (724 last)
AS Benson monkstrap using dark cognac shell cordovan (99 last)

Quick question re: the AS Benson monkstrap in dark cognac shell. I may have missed it but what color sole edge and welt was decided on? I think a light antique would be a stellar contrast if that hasn't been decided.

Also, any agreement as to leather interior liner? In maybe a dark burgundy or navy? Might be a nice further unique differentiating feature.

I agree with that.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great thoughts on welt colour and interior colour - typically mto at this level are made with soft cream leather and would compliment Cognac Cordovan very well. Light antique would suit with a crimped edge detail.

Light antique and crimped edge sounds perfect.

Would we be able to do a different color than cream if people who buy in agree? Cream is fine though if it is the only option.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

hst

Reaction score
I would have like to join the mto for the Ramsey cordovan earlier, but I saw the post only after the order was closed.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great thoughts on welt colour and interior colour - typically mto at this level are made with soft cream leather and would compliment Cognac Cordovan very well. Light antique would suit with a crimped edge detail.

Final thought, I promise. :embar: Any options as to the medallion on the toe? This seems like a particularly stellar choice:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would use your 337 size and perhaps try the slim fit.
I am a normal width 10.5D US. I tend to be a UK 9.5 in most everything I have, though I like a very snug fit. I went with a UK9 in Lobb 8000/7000.
I have definitely found the 724 to be pretty roomy width wise in the F(normal) width. I do not think I would want to size down and keep the F. I will try a 9.5E (slim).
I know this might seem sacrilegious, but I find outsole measurements (particularly heel to toe) a pretty good indication of how the shoe will fit. If the shoe has a pretty standard width welt, I end up with a pretty narrow range of lengths across a variety of shoes in my collection. That is how I ordered the 724 in the 9.5 and it was the right choice. AFPS gives sole dimensions for most of the lasts.
Width to me is far more flexible (I have EG in both D and E and can hardly tell the difference.) The fact that the Miller boot has basically a one piece, wholecut-like vamp means it would stretch and fit nicely to my foot. So I will try the slim fitting.

Thanks for the heads up, so you intend to size down an entire size aand slim down to an "E" width? My C&J 337 measure 33cm x 11.4 as do most of my other balmoral dress shoes. Based on that, I would need a UK11.5E? The measurements for the 11.5F - 32.9cm x 11.5 - seem a little wide. An 11UK looks too short.

Harrydog

Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up, so you intend to size down an entire size aand slim down to an "E" width? My C&J 337 measure 33cm x 11.4 as do most of my other balmoral dress shoes. Based on that, I would need a UK11.5E? The measurements for the 11.5F - 32.9cm x 11.5 - seem a little wide. An 11UK looks too short.

Yes, I will be a 9.5E.

If the sole measurements match like you said, you should be fine.

Afinepairofshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Afinepairofshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Final thought, I promise. :embar: Any options as to the medallion on the toe? This seems like a particularly stellar choice:

The pattern has to be as the AS Benson & AS Miller are. At this level of mto we can set the materials used and the colour and the last. Further changes would need to go up to AS Handgrade level where you can effect all items, but for a greater price.

CHRK33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The pattern has to be as the AS Benson & AS Miller are. At this level of mto we can set the materials used and the colour and the last. Further changes would need to go up to AS Handgrade level where you can effect all items, but for a greater price.

Thanks for confirming. About to place my preorder for the Benson.

Just wanted to confirm that the edge trim will be light antique with a crimping detail. I have seen cognac with the light antique versus dark edgetrim and it makes a world of difference in my opinion.

Thanks for putting this together and giving us the opportunity to purchase a Handgrade model that is beautiful at an Exclusive pricepoint. Hopefully, we can get enough people together to make this happen.

Last edited:

Afinepairofshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for confirming. About to place my preorder for the Benson.
Just wanted to confirm that the edge trim will be light antique with a crimping detail. I have seen cognac with the light antique versus dark edgetrim and it makes a world of difference in my opinion.
Thanks for putting this together and giving us the opportunity to purchase a Handgrade model that is beautiful at an Exclusive pricepoint. Hopefully, we can get enough people together to make this happen.

Yes, we will go with the light antique welt and crimped finish - they will be fantastic, I'm sure of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads