• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A couple of new (to me) fedoras | Lock and Disney

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
A couple of new (to me) fedoras have made their way into my possession, so I figured what's the point of owning something if I can't take multiple pictures and post them on an internet message board.

The first is an essentially new old stock Lock & Co. navy fedora. This seems to be the Lock Chelsea model.

Here's what it looked like when I got it:

lock1oc7.jpg

Brim turned up, center dent, but no side dents. Pristine interior. The seller tells me he had stored the hat without wearing it. It looks like it was new from the shop.

I performed a feather-ectomy, snapped the brim and added some dents (a little spritzed water did the trick). Here's what it looks like now:

p1012043td7.jpg

p1012047qs4.jpg

p1012049ks2.jpg

The second is a vintage Disney fedora I picked up in a thrift store in Chattanooga for $5. Disney was an old high quality hat maker that has no relation to and predates the more famous mouse house of the same name. I shipped it off to Art Fawcett who will do refurbishment work for his custom customers. He stripped it down, soaked and cleaned the felt and lining, put a new ribbon, binding and sweatband on it and styled it. And since I've gotten custom hats from Art he was able to conform this one to my exact head shape.

Art says the original hat dates from the 1940s. I was also able to pick up a vintage Disney hat box on ebay to store it in. It's immediately become one of my favorite hats. A recent ebay auction for a vintage Disney ended at $170, which makes this a steal.

Before:

p1010377lk4.jpg

p1010372ks9.jpg

After:

p1012091il6.jpg

p1012089tp5.jpg

p1012085dz4.jpg

p1012093xo2.jpg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When you wish upon a hat...

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sweet. Unfortunately my head's too big (7 5/8) to have very much luck at finding vintage hats.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was I the only one expecting to see Alan sporting THIS hat:

3193L.jpg

Thankfully we won't have to see a follow-up of Alan looking for bespoke green tights.

emptym

Reaction score
Very nice! Thanks for posting them and their stories.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nice post! any word or updates on your adventurebilt??

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
nice post! any word or updates on your adventurebilt??

I've not heard anything, but I don't expect it for awhile yet. I hope it might show up sometime in the next couple of months.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads