• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

37 waist - 36 or 38 trouser?

ChiliPalmer

Reaction score
If I'm a 37, would I better off buying a 36 and letting one inch out or buying a 38 and having one inch taken in?

Assume my weight stays steady for the next few years and I have legs of average musculature so no need for extra room in the pant leg.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're more likely to get bigger than smaller, over time.

Even if you don't, it's always easier to take in fabric than let it out, and there will be no issue with track marks on finely woven fabrics.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, is this a real ******* question?

I swear this forum has slipped into bizarro world territory

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Go 36 to give yourself motivation.

Bad idea. You wind up with extra weight and pants that don't fit.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer

If I'm a 37, would I better off buying a 36 and letting one inch out or buying a 38 and having one inch taken in?

Assume my weight stays steady for the next few years and I have legs of average musculature so no need for extra room in the pant leg.

I would suggest the 36 and let it out one inch. The 38 will be too wide in the thighs and legs and the rise/crotch will be too big/baggy. The 36 will look much better.

Wicky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
I would suggest the 36 and let it out one inch. The 38 will be too wide in the thighs and legs and the rise/crotch will be too big/baggy. The 36 will look much better.

+ 1 This is also how Attolini MTM programm works. For me they took a EU50 pants and let it out and inch rather than taking in a EU52. The EU52 was indeed too loose at the tights and crotch.

Big T

Reaction score
Sizing down puts pressure on your belly and makes you have the trotting pharts. Bad idea.

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sjmin209
Size down 2 & don't wash for 6 months

ftw.

i think the real answer is "how do they fit?"

more specifically:
how big is your ass?
how big are your hips?
how big are your thighs?
how big is your pen0r?
how do you want them to fit?

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question.

36, but let them out an inch.

38 is never good because they will be baggier in the wrong places, unnecessarily.

Buy a 36 that fits great other than right in the waist, and then have your tailor let out the waist (and, if necessary, the upper part of the seat seam) for 15 bucks.

I do this all the time, as I am slightly bigger than a 32, but hate size 34 pants because of the "Hammer pants effect."

Problem solved.

joei

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
Good question.

36, but let them out an inch.

38 is never good because they will be baggier in the wrong places, unnecessarily.

Buy a 36 that fits great other than right in the waist, and then have your tailor let out the waist (and, if necessary, the upper part of the seat seam) for 15 bucks.

I do this all the time, as I am slightly bigger than a 32, but hate size 34 pants because of the "Hammer pants effect."

Problem solved.

+1 I'm a 35 waist and buy 34 jeans and have them taken in the waist area as as of late.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Answer:

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Generally speaking, for RTW...

1. If your ass tends toward the flat, fit the waist and have the seat taken in.

2. If, OTH, your ass tends toward the full, fit the seat and have the waist taken in.

- B

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Have you considered going and actually trying on clothes, rather than asking over-general, unanswerable questions on the internet? Different pants will fit differently, you know.

probably not............because that would entail effort
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads