• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

37 waist - 36 or 38 trouser?

ChiliPalmer

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2006
Messages
722
Reaction score
24
If I'm a 37, would I better off buying a 36 and letting one inch out or buying a 38 and having one inch taken in?

Assume my weight stays steady for the next few years and I have legs of average musculature so no need for extra room in the pant leg.
 

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
6,499
Reaction score
84
38.

You're more likely to get bigger than smaller, over time.

Even if you don't, it's always easier to take in fabric than let it out, and there will be no issue with track marks on finely woven fabrics.
 

Big A

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2008
Messages
2,383
Reaction score
758
Honestly, is this a real fucking question?

I swear this forum has slipped into bizarro world territory
 

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
8
Originally Posted by Butter
Go 36 to give yourself motivation.

Bad idea. You wind up with extra weight and pants that don't fit.
 

SuitMyself

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2008
Messages
984
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by ChiliPalmer

If I'm a 37, would I better off buying a 36 and letting one inch out or buying a 38 and having one inch taken in?

Assume my weight stays steady for the next few years and I have legs of average musculature so no need for extra room in the pant leg.



I would suggest the 36 and let it out one inch. The 38 will be too wide in the thighs and legs and the rise/crotch will be too big/baggy. The 36 will look much better.
 

Wicky

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2007
Messages
754
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
I would suggest the 36 and let it out one inch. The 38 will be too wide in the thighs and legs and the rise/crotch will be too big/baggy. The 36 will look much better.

+ 1 This is also how Attolini MTM programm works. For me they took a EU50 pants and let it out and inch rather than taking in a EU52. The EU52 was indeed too loose at the tights and crotch.
 

Big T

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
235
Reaction score
1
Sizing down puts pressure on your belly and makes you have the trotting pharts. Bad idea.
 

asdf

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
810
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by sjmin209
Size down 2 & don't wash for 6 months

ftw.



i think the real answer is "how do they fit?"

more specifically:
how big is your ass?
how big are your hips?
how big are your thighs?
how big is your pen0r?
how do you want them to fit?
 

Bull

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 12, 2010
Messages
1,285
Reaction score
3
Good question.

36, but let them out an inch.

38 is never good because they will be baggier in the wrong places, unnecessarily.

Buy a 36 that fits great other than right in the waist, and then have your tailor let out the waist (and, if necessary, the upper part of the seat seam) for 15 bucks.

I do this all the time, as I am slightly bigger than a 32, but hate size 34 pants because of the "Hammer pants effect."

Problem solved.
 

joei

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
117
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Bull
Good question.

36, but let them out an inch.

38 is never good because they will be baggier in the wrong places, unnecessarily.

Buy a 36 that fits great other than right in the waist, and then have your tailor let out the waist (and, if necessary, the upper part of the seat seam) for 15 bucks.

I do this all the time, as I am slightly bigger than a 32, but hate size 34 pants because of the "Hammer pants effect."

Problem solved.


+1 I'm a 35 waist and buy 34 jeans and have them taken in the waist area as as of late.
 

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
151
Answer:

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Generally speaking, for RTW...

1. If your ass tends toward the flat, fit the waist and have the seat taken in.

2. If, OTH, your ass tends toward the full, fit the seat and have the waist taken in.


- B
 

Viral

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2009
Messages
3,152
Reaction score
426
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Have you considered going and actually trying on clothes, rather than asking over-general, unanswerable questions on the internet? Different pants will fit differently, you know.

probably not............because that would entail effort
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,295
Messages
9,442,855
Members
197,855
Latest member
Strousese20y
Top