• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
+1 on the "happy endings" copy. At the end of the day, it's a cheap Asia joke - even if it is true about the prior business. If it was a restaurant previously, I think most would agree it's not a great idea to make a joke about fried rice, regardless of the dishes they actually made. It just seems such a silly thing to have become a potential point of contention among people that don't know Antonio or the brand, and especially as a white man opening a largely Asian-inspired clothing store in Chinatown. I just don't see the upside in keeping something like that in there for the 1/1000 chance that the wrong person finds it and starts circulating around social media to "check out this racist clothing brand."

That being said, personally I don't really feel strongly about it and doubt anything would ever come of it. Just my 2 cents as another Asian American. Stoked to eventually check out the store in person.

It certainly isn’t our intention to make a joke about asians in any way as I wouldn’t characterize massage parlors as something unique to Asian culture. We thought that the idea of a business changing it’s name hastily and repeatedly, without changing the business itself, was funny, particularly with how this manifested itself in the awning and store signage design.

Sorry if we offended anyone.

mmmargeologist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to pile on, but I’m not sure how I feel about that copy either. Without context, it could easily read as like a pseudo-manifest destiny and a massage parlor joke at the expense of Asians. At the very least I wouldn’t open myself up to that kind of criticism. Just my 2c

mrjbeee

Reaction score
Another look at the Nomad. Def stretches on sleeves due to gravity giving that extra slouch vibe.
4B1C7B79-744B-4007-B44A-D59F79376898.jpeg

Last edited:

CPAJay1221

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Someone sell me their Large Nomad! The medium didn’t work out for me :(

One of the drawbacks to not giving cash refunds is I can’t order two sizes and return the one that doesn’t fit. With the items selling out you have to nail sizing or miss out completely.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, especially since the sizing is kinda hard to nail. I have a white khadi western shirt in medium, and just got the white chambray field shirt in large, and they fit the same - the western is probably a bit bigger (and that's after a couple washes - the field shirt is unwashed). I really like the brand concept and designs, but it's hard to buy blind. That said, i'm pretty bummed to have missed out on the nomad.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the drawbacks to not giving cash refunds is I can’t order two sizes and return the one that doesn’t fit.
You can still do that - but you will end up with store credit to use on a future order. It isn't that different unless you know you won't order from 18E again

sartoria vacua

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i’ve misfired on every 18e sizing decision i’ve made (by ignoring the gratis advice of @gdl203 basically) - now am the lord of overslouch. though it does speak to 18e as somewhat singular in the game that you can be a whole size off and still pull a look together. drape, fabric work in more ways than pure “fit”.

CPAJay1221

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
K
You can still do that - but you will end up with store credit to use on a future order. It isn't that different unless you know you won't order from 18E again
I get that. I just don’t like other people holding on to my money for free. Opportunity cost!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K

I get that. I just don’t like other people holding on to my money for free. Opportunity cost!
It could be Europe with negative interest rates and you'd have to pay for Antonio to hold on to your money!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads