• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting...what kind are you thinking? S/S doesn't seem like waistcoat season for obvious reasons. The traditional odd waistcoat is tattersall, but that's more F/W, and VERY english country gentleman. The other odd waistcoats I've seen are takes off of morning dress - like a dove or buff waistcoat worn with a navy suit. But maybe a cream linen waistcoat would be a nice addition to a brown linen suit....

The reason I said S/S is because the F/W line has been released and it didn't seem feasible to say "Hey, could you find and provide some waistcoats for December which meet the initial standards you've set even though you've probably not even looked at anything?" I agree that F/W are more the season and I'd love to see NMWA apply their aesthetic sensibilities to creating a set of waist coats that would fit within this context. I also think the idea of a button front sleeveless cardigan - which is what it looks like Greg may be wearing - could be cool. I reiterate that I would be willing to defer to his discretion. I do think a rather neutral five button, single breasted, lapelless, two pocket waistcoat would be cool though, especially if it's cut well.

Here in the southern part of the US I think the seasonality of waistcoats might be a bit up for contest though. Here in Dallas there are four to six months of the year where it is practically unbearable to wear a jacket of any sort. It can be done and certainly some still do, but I've seen plenty who do with sweat marks on the outside of their jacket. This isn't necessarily because of the wrong choice in jackets either - I've an unstructured linen/cotton jacket that I bought specifically with the hope of being able to wear it over the summer, and I've taken it off on days because I'd really rather not sweat through it. We average 74 days from June 1 to August 31 at 90+ degrees, 16 of them 100+ (again, on average). Fourteen of the fifty largest metropolitan areas in the country average over 50 90+ days during that 92 day time period. At the same time I feel under-dressed without a jacket. The advantage to a waistcoat then would be in that it allows greater ventilation to areas more prone to sweat. Whether or not this can be done in such a way as to minimize constriction and additional sweating elsewhere is a separate matter more indicative of whether the whole thing is a good idea or not.

There's also the observation that the odd waist coat without a jacket has entered our collective stylistic lexicon - though I'm not going to put forth much explanation as to why such a choice would be. I also won't argue as to whether or not such a thing has been successful so far, because I don't think many have been. Most of what I've seen either look like orphans - taken from a suit, or are some god awful pattern.

However, I wonder if it would be possible to design a waist coat that could work in this capacity and still be appropriate to pair with a suit or odd jacket. As you said, a cream Linen waist coat would probably be rather versatile (for an odd waist coat). Alternatively, I think other colors of linen might work with a cream linen suit and be capable of being paired with say a solid OCBD, dark jeans, and chukkas. There may be patterns in tropical wool jacketing that could do this. If I remember correctly there are some H&S fabrics that could be paired with cotton pants and loafers. I make no assertion as to whether or not this would actually work, but I don't have an a priori argument that such a thing must always turn out badly and I would imagine that NMWA are guys that could find a stylish counter example.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
greg, will you be offering layaway? ya'know, for the holidays and what not.
Yes. We need this. NMWA Holiday Savings Club.
I'm not sure what's going to be left when the holidays come though...
devil.gif

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure what's going to be left when the holidays come though... :devil:  

well, thats kind of the whole idea of layaway. have you never been to k-mart?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

i could have misunderstood, but the OP seems to imply that there will always be an SF discount of some kind.

Bump. I was under the same (mis?)impression as stitchy that the SF discount code was permanent. If it expires after October 31, I may have to engage in some deficit spending.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bump. I was under the same (mis?)impression as stitchy that the SF discount code was permanent. If it expires after October 31, I may have to engage in some deficit spending.

That is what I did, just in case, lulz.

Regardless, I was just postponing the inevitable. Plus, things are disappearing fast.

DLJr

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I would assume the current SF code ends at the end of October, doesn't it have "oct" in it? Maybe a new one pops up, but that one would seem to end with the founders circle code.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks **** erectus, neck is huge.
Nah it's fine actually. Were you planning on buttoning the top button? Please don't say yes

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
yes, going to wear the hombre ese style holmes

Last edited:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: the code, we're planning on having it regularly (if not permanently). So this should not be the impetus behind making purchases. The fact that we're selling out of a number of things in certain sizes should be of higher importance when considering purchases now vs later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads