• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

٭٭٭ No Man Walks Alone - Official Affiliate Thread ٭٭٭ (a.k.a. I shouldn't have slept on it)

Trayco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shipping question.
Have y’all been using FedEx more lately for any certain reason?
My preference is ups so I can easily redirect if I need to.
Just curious
Thanks!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, we are starting to use Fedex more and eventually will likely shift all shipments to Fedex. UPS is crushing us with rate increases and Fedex is a little better. With free shipping representing almost all orders and orders being smaller and smaller (many more 1 item orders), all of our margin is going to UPS for shipping and return shipping.

Trayco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, we are starting to use Fedex more and eventually will likely shift all shipments to Fedex. UPS is crushing us with rate increases and Fedex is a little better. With free shipping representing almost all orders and orders being smaller and smaller (many more 1 item orders), all of our margin is going to UPS for shipping and return shipping.
Makes sense!
Thanks for answering.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you guys are having bad experiences receiving your orders with Fedex, please let us know. If their service is detrimental to our customer experience, we'll reconsider using them

Trayco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you guys are having bad experiences receiving your orders with Fedex, please let us know. If their service is detrimental to our customer experience, we'll reconsider using them
Will do. So far they have been good and no complaints. They do offer a similar managing of packages like usps did.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have generally viewed all of these debates like people debating the merits of Bud Light versus Miller Lite.

I am honestly not surprised that you as a small biz may need to swap providers periodically to get decent pricing, akin to residential consumers with cable+internet packages - sticking with your incumbent probably gets you 2-3x inflation annual increases, but if you can switch providers, you might get better pricing for a year or two.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPS is union, Fedex isn't (and is virulently anti-union, among the more odious views of its corporate leadership. Not that the folks at UPS are saints). I always choose UPS if I have the option as a result. I also don't mean this to start a bad-faith argument about the merits of organized labor. Just letting Greg know about a (strong) preference.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We aren't union

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but if your employees wanted to organize, would you try to stop them? And use illegal and strong-arm tactics to do it? And support legislation and judicial conference "classes" to undermine their ability to organize?

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
none of our suppliers are union not has it ever been a factor in how we decide who we work with or support.

It’s just surprising to see this come up and I’m wondering what’s next? If FedEx vs UPS for FREE shipping is a subject of political battle (welcome to America 2021, everything must be a battle), then what’s next? Which bottled water do we buy in the office? Is it union?

idk man. I respect anyone setting their own parameters for how they spend their money, so I understand and i guess some customers will decide not to buy from us because Fedex? But I’m just wondering if there’s a point where it gets too much. Do you ask your cheese shop if their dairy supplier is union or ? What about their transportation provider?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

Got my order delivered by Fedex today. Woke up to a text message this morning at 6 AM saying it was out for delivery and got a prompt email when it was dropped off in front of my door around 10:30.

10/10, but maybe being woken up at 6 AM isn't the greatest hahaha

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my order delivered by Fedex today. Woke up to a text message this morning at 6 AM saying it was out for delivery and got a prompt email when it was dropped off in front of my door around 10:30.

10/10, but maybe being woken up at 6 AM isn't the greatest hahaha
What did you get? :lurk:

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
none of our suppliers are union not has it ever been a factor in how we decide who we work with or support.

It’s just surprising to see this come up and I’m wondering what’s next? If FedEx vs UPS for FREE shipping is a subject of political battle (welcome to America 2021, everything must be a battle), then what’s next? Which bottled water do we buy in the office? Is it union?

idk man. I respect anyone setting their own parameters for how they spend their money, so I understand and i guess some customers will decide not to buy from us because Fedex? But I’m just wondering if there’s a point where it gets too much. Do you ask your cheese shop if their dairy supplier is union or ? What about their transportation provider?

This seems like an odd line to take after both your recent actions and the thoughtful interview with Simon. I don't think Mr. Six even so much as suggested that he'd take his business elsewhere if you stuck with FedEx; he just said that when he has the choice he chooses UPS, to support a unionized workforce. That seems like a totally reasonable thing to inform one's choice, when choosing between suppliers of what, to the user, is basically commodity-like. (To my mind it's reasonable even when it's not commodity-like, but especially so in that case.) It's not commodity-like in your case if the rates really are that different. But you've already shown that you're willing to let your principles influence your business, so why is this where you bring out "everything must be a battle"?

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
What did you get? :lurk:

the chamula turtleneck. i haven't really been shopping for clothes lately but i saw people ordering, so i took a peek at the website. people were sleeping on it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads