• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Styleforum x Archibald Sneaker GMTO

mykoh

Reaction score
I think the issue here isn't about offering different colour choices on shoelaces, but simply about getting the laces and the upper to match. For a luxury sneaker that purports to be tonal and minimalist, especially one as meticulous and fussy as Archibald is, laces should match the upper as close as possible. It is absolutely bonkers to be fussing over the shade of shoelaces, but we are on a forum dedicated for style and fashion so I guess this might be the only place for this discussion lol

Also, I do realise that with hand-painted leather, getting matching laces is going to be nigh impossible without custom manufacturing thousands and thousands in the correct shade, but I've noticed in my pairs and in the photos here, it appears that the laces for almost all of the shoes lean towards a lighter shade vs the upper. Perhaps if the perfect shade isn't available from the supplier, going a darker shade instead of lighter would be a safer choice? Someone mentioned that their Gustin #8s had laces in a darker shade that matched the upper better.

Although if it isn't feasible, and nothing can be done about the laces, it still doesn't change the fact that Archibald has made a great pair of shoes. I'm still glad I purchased!

tropics

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the issue here isn't about offering different colour choices on shoelaces, but simply about getting the laces and the upper to match.

exactly. i have some old CPs in obscure rose and dark green colours and the laces match perfectly.

Perhaps if the perfect shade isn't available from the supplier, going a darker shade instead of lighter would be a safer choice? Someone mentioned that their Gustin #8s had laces in a darker shade that matched the upper better.

that sounds reasonable too.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the issue here isn't about offering different colour choices on shoelaces, but simply about getting the laces and the upper to match. For a luxury sneaker that purports to be tonal and minimalist, especially one as meticulous and fussy as Archibald is, laces should match the upper as close as possible. It is absolutely bonkers to be fussing over the shade of shoelaces, but we are on a forum dedicated for style and fashion so I guess this might be the only place for this discussion lol

Also, I do realise that with hand-painted leather, getting matching laces is going to be nigh impossible without custom manufacturing thousands and thousands in the correct shade, but I've noticed in my pairs and in the photos here, it appears that the laces for almost all of the shoes lean towards a lighter shade vs the upper. Perhaps if the perfect shade isn't available from the supplier, going a darker shade instead of lighter would be a safer choice? Someone mentioned that their Gustin #8s had laces in a darker shade that matched the upper better.

Although if it isn't feasible, and nothing can be done about the laces, it still doesn't change the fact that Archibald has made a great pair of shoes. I'm still glad I purchased!
exactly. i have some old CPs in obscure rose and dark green colours and the laces match perfectly.

that sounds reasonable too.
I think you gentlemen are making my point for me, I personally find the lace matching to be on point. The idea they will please everyone with lace matching is not realistic.

mykoh

Reaction score
I think you gentlemen are making my point for me, I personally find the lace matching to be on point. The idea they will please everyone with lace matching is not realistic.

But you see, laces on a tonal sneaker can and should be empirically the same shade as the upper. If they get the shade spot on, I am sure that would be fine with everyone because that is what they see on the website when they buy a pair. If you prefer a lighter or darker shade, or even another colour altogether, then it's up to you to source for one yourself. Receiving a pair that supposedly has tonal laces but turn out to be slightly off in colour is an issue that will please some people (like yourself), but not all. Which I guess ultimately is the crux of the issue: you like how yours look, and for me less so.

Again, I'm just belabouring a minor gripe because the shoe is too good there's nothing else to complain about.

Last edited:

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But you see, laces on a tonal sneaker can and should be empirically the same shade as the upper. If they get the shade spot on, I am sure that would be fine with everyone because that is what they see on the website when they buy a pair. If you prefer a lighter or darker shade, or even another colour altogether, then it's up to you to source for one yourself. Receiving a pair that supposedly has tonal laces but turn out to be slightly off in colour is an issue that will please some people (like yourself), but not all. Which I guess ultimately is the crux of the issue: you like how yours look, and for me less so.

Again, I'm just belabouring a minor gripe because the shoe is too good there's nothing else to complain about.
:deadhorse: ...lol, yeah I hear you. I remember the last iteration you weren’t happy with the laces either. As for me, laces aren’t a hill I’m willing to die on. If the laces matched the shoes perfectly, I’d still be happy; as the laces are now on the shoes I ordered, I’m also happy.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yessss...
IMO unless you're being a dandy, and putting on striped laces, or some contrasting color on purpose, a look I've never liked, I think the laces should visually disappear and let the shoe and the leather be the star of the show.

Hoppin' D

Reaction score
I ordered a new set of undyed cotton laces from Italy last Tuesday after we got a chance to finally see the White/White full veg tan pair... these will arrive with us on Wednesday (or so they claim) so we are holding back the already packed shipments including a White/White pair so I can include these laces in an envelope. Hopefully it is a better colour. [/QUOTE said:
Is this because the white/white SF01-V2 is a veg tan and off-white? Great that you are making some efforts to match the laces with the slightly darker upper; I've ordered a bunch of off-white/cream/light beige laces from elsewhere hoping at least one of them match well. I agree with some of the other members who've said here that the laces should ideally match the upper and that it is up to us to source alternative colours if we want to be a bit more experimental and unconventional. But I'm sourcing my own laces to match as best as I can, since I knew there might be a chance that the laces provided with the shoe may not match.

ArchibaldRoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is where we get the laces laccioteca.it

Sand would be a 029 - Latte
Undyed Cotton - the colour ultimately chosen after we received the shoes is not in the below chart... It was from an insistence that there has to be something better.

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-01 at 5.22.57 PM.jpeg

undyed cotton on the left.... latte (good for sand) on the right

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-02 at 2.54.14 PM.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads