• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There is little to know difference in "build quality" between Alden and CJ. CJ finishes their shoes just slightly nicer in their bench grade (which the Darlton is). The handgrades are indeed "nicer" than Alden, though I have yet to love the aesthetic coming out of CJ. Too "sleek" for me.

I'll take cigar LWB over the Darlton all day every day.

If you love Alden but want to consider moving "on or up" from them, check out Carmina or Vass.
Thanks Roguls and everyone else who provided information and perspective about the C&J Marlow wingtips. They are an intriguing shoe. Alden's might appear a little "blobby", and sizing the damn things is a style forum in itself, but I can't see value for money in buying shoes from England, Spain, or Hungary when good shoes are made right here in Massachusetts.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden does not currently offer a shell SWB that I know of, much less one in Cigar.

So with the Marlow, Alden has no comparable model that is even offered. Buy the Marlow. Buy some Aldens. I don't see it as one against the other.

Alden's Cigar LWB (which I have) and the Marlow SWB (which I have) is an apples to oranges comparison. The model of shoe is totally different.

Someone mentioned that the Marlow is inbetween ravello and cigar in color. That may be the case for some, but mine is a true and rich dark brown, even darker than many - if not all - of my Alden cigar models.

Last edited:

fitchottie

Reaction score
If this has already been asked I apologize. How is the sizing for the Marlow Rl ..vs Barrie. I am 11.5d

stanford88

Reaction score

Eff. But at least we know the resolution, right? (Manually going in and changing it.)

Alden does not currently offer a shell SWB that I know of, much less one in Cigar.

So with the Marlow, Alden has no comparable model that is even offered. Buy the Marlow. Buy some Aldens. I don't see it as one against the other.

Alden's Cigar LWB (which I have) and the Marlow SWB (which I have) is an apples to oranges comparison. The model of shoe is totally different.

Someone mentioned that the Marlow is inbetween ravello and cigar in color. That may be the case for some, but mine is a true and rich dark brown, even darker than many - if not all - of my Alden cigar models.

Seven, respectfully, which models don't you have? would you post a picture of your sometime?

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This.

Commando sole is over-rated. Just topy if you're that worried. I like to simply add toe taps. Leather soles, when broken in, give great traction.

I respectfully disagree. A commando soled boot/shoe is a completely different animal than a leather soled boot/shoe with a topy; and Dainite is a different animal as well. I won't make the case for any of the three over any of the others, but they are all totally different. I have all 3.

dslonghorn4

Reaction score

Isn't the Leffot Atom a SWB? Similar to yours, my Marlow shortwings are a dark rich brown and nowhere close to ravello.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Seven, respectfully, which models don't you have? would you post a picture of your sometime?
That's exactly why I come to this thread. There are people here who have actually walked a mile in the shoes that I'm interested in.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see your point... it is just that the Carmina Fitzgerald is $825 and that price point will take some getting used to...at least for.

If you order from carmina directly or skoaktiebolaget.se your price is about $550-$700

Hermitedge

Reaction score

Go with Alden Plaza. :nodding:

I have - or should I say had - both. :D My BB Peal captoe boots by C&J were returned by me as defective as the shell finish/dye/whatever was rubbing off. There were places on the boot where the coloring was becoming streaky. Weird. I was given a refund without incident. This is the second pair of said BB boots I have had in my possession that had this issue. The first pair was returned by me before I wore them outside - I just wasn't liking what I was seeing (I had laced them around the back of the boot and the same streakiness was present). A few months later I tried my hand at a second pair thinking that the first pair was an anomaly. No dice. So I went 0 for 2. And the first pair arrived with Dainite and the second pair arrived with double leather????? And I like C&J shell, and have other models I like just fine - Marlow, Bradford, etc.

But on top of the above experience, the Alden Plaza is more sleek and Alden's color 8, IMO, is a much better dark burgundy - much better - than C&J's burgundy shell.

I appreciate you sharing your experience(s) with the BB boot. I'm quite fond of both, but its the little things that I'm debating in my head atm. Eyelets vs none, reverse welt vs none, the shape of the toebox is slightly similar since the Plaza last is a bit narrower than other common Alden lasts. Maybe I'll deliberate till I change my mind completely.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You're rockin' it, Argentino!  I love the worn-in look of the #8's.  Don't tell me those are the 702's with faded hems?

They look more like Epaulet navy rivet chinos to me but hard to tell given the camera edits

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we have some really knowledgeable posters about shoe construction who might help satisfy my curiosity, and it's really nothing but plain curiosity.

What causes some shoes/boots to be really loud when walking and others not so much? Like my chunky Alden boots are not that noisy at all (double-leather or water-lock soles and leather heels with dovetail rubber). But my AE Daltons and even my Strand shoes are incredibly noisy.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden does not currently offer a shell SWB that I know of, much less one in Cigar. So with the Marlow, Alden has no comparable model that is even offered. Buy the Marlow. Buy some Aldens. I don't see it as one against the other. Alden's Cigar LWB (which I have) and the Marlow SWB (which I have) is an apples to oranges comparison. The model of shoe is totally different. Someone mentioned that the Marlow is inbetween ravello and cigar in color. That may be the case for some, but mine is a true and rich dark brown, even darker than many - if not all - of my Alden cigar models.
I think I showed this before but here is a side-by-side view of my Alden cigar LWB, C&J/RL dark brown Marlow, and Alfred Sargent cognac Miller
8464401938_614f83da11.jpg

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know we have some really knowledgeable posters about shoe construction who might help satisfy my curiosity, and it's really nothing but plain curiosity.

What causes some shoes/boots to be really loud when walking and others not so much?  Like my chunky Alden boots are not that noisy at all (double-leather or water-lock soles and leather heels with dovetail rubber).  But my AE Daltons and even my Strand shoes are incredibly noisy.

I would think the density of the leather used on the heel stack... but then again, I am one of the lesser knowledgeable members when it comes to construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads