• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moda Republic - Official Affiliate Thread

facet

Reaction score

sounds like a beautiful suit, and the navy color you chose is a personal favorite color of mine too! what about the pants? how would you have it done? 

Thanks Chris. Yeah, I love the richness of that shade of blue.

Good question, as I hadn't thought too much about that, I guess. I tend to just like standard contruction with a flat front, zip fly and clip closure, split V-back, lining to the knee, 10" rise, moderate tapering. Standard belt loops as I had purchased a suit before with side tabs and ended up not liking them. I do like that rubber lining in the waistband to prevent the shirt from slipping out and a couple things that my Benjamin suit trousers have are a belt keeper loop and fob pocket, which I've found to be pretty handy.

Cheers

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I work a great deal in the education sector, so on any given day I might be meeting with the 22 year old Student Union President in a hoody or the vice chancellor replete with knighthood and sceptre. As a result I need to tread a fine line between fashionable & cool, and formal.

As a result I like an aggressive cut that would be acceptable in a fashion blog but that will not raise eyebrows from the old guard of Savile Row. With this in mind I take inspiration from both the likes of Huntsman and Tommy Nutter (though to be fair it is more E. Sexton than Mr Nutter in the final incarnation).

Alex-ModaR

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the posts.... hope to hear from more members! Please remember the contest ends Oct 26! On a separate note we want to get you guys into our clothes so you can see first hand what it's about so besides this contest we're thinking about offering some coupons that give significant discounts.... stay tuned!

Last edited:

kayhill

Reaction score
The format for entering the competition should be:
1. Specifications of the suit such as the cutting, the type of shoulders (natural or more structured), color of the fabric, lapel width, how many buttons, pocket styles, etc.
2. A reference photo or two so the folks here can get an idea of what you’re thinking of
3. What occasion you have in mind for the suit, your own wedding? A friend’s wedding? Everyday work? Graduation? Prom? Starting a new job? A special event coming up? Let us know to get us excited for your suit!

Hi Chris,

Your site looks good and I dig that you're offering a well-constructed suit at an affordable price.

As for what suit I would design:
Coat
I would go with a two button, single breasted suit with a soft and light construction -- natural shoulders -- with the following specs:
- light grey fabric (versatile and just a little bit casual)
- straight flap pockets
- notch lapels (3.5 inches so it matches your ties; personally dislike the trend of skinny lapels)
- mid-brown buttons
- double vents
- functional boutonniere
- functional sleeve buttons

Pants
- waist adjuster or 'waist tightener'; no belt loops
- flat front (no pleats)
- 2 inch cuff
- no break so the pants end just at your shoes

Overall it would look something like this:

For me a suit needs to be sharp enough to wear for work, but have a softness about it that lends itself to casual wear too. I think soft construction or Neapolitan style of tailoring allows for this. A light grey suit is versatile; it harmonises with most colours and can be dressed up or down quite easily. It is also quite forgiving against most skin tones.

I would wear the suit around the office, wear the jacket with jeans on the weekend or add a pocket square and lapel pin for a fancy event like a wedding.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
POW pattern, worsted wool, 3 piece with natural shoulders, lapel vest.

Will see regular rotation use, academic work.

forbritisheyes

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hi Chris,
I would love to design a conservative suit for business wear. I will add this to my regular rotation and wear it very frequently. I also wish for this suit to be wedding appropriate.
1. Specs:
  1. I have always wanted a Navy Glenn Plaid suit in a durable Worsted
  2. 2 Button
  3. Single Breasted
  4. I love love love structured shoulders like those on Brioni coats(Pagoda if you can do that for this contest)
  5. Moderate roping
  6. mild-moderate amount of waist suppression
  7. Low buttoning point that is level with my navel - they segment my body better
  8. Clean chest
  9. 3.5-3.75" notch lapels that reach halfway between the collar and shoulder seam
  10. No pick stitching
  11. Shoulder-height lapel gorge
  12. Straight Lapels - No lapel belly
  13. Center vent
  14. Horn Buttons
  15. standard flap pockets(and standard height)
  16. Non-functioning cuffs; kissing buttons w/ no overlap
  17. Reinforced pockets - I use the exterior and interior pockets often. I actually bugs me when they remain basted shut
  18. Trousers with a long rise that settles near my navel so that the buttoning point and waistband are within 2" of each other when I wear the suit
  19. Side tab adjusters(thus no belt loops)
  20. single pleat
  21. No pick stitching on pockets
  22. No rear pockets
  23. 1.75” turn ups
  24. Half break
  25. Slightly fitted trousers - roomier than ones in pic(After much experimentation, I have found a 9" opening when laid flat with a slight taper to be perfect)
  26. 2nd pair of trousers
2. Pics
A swatch of the fabric for the suit

HB-5621.jpg

A picture I've attached depicts the silhouette, shoulders(except Pagoda if possible) and gorge(a tiny bit lower though) that the suit would have. The suit would be longer, with a proportionately lower buttoning point. The Tuxedo you made has a great buttoning stance; I would lengthen the coat 1" on this suit to keep things a bit more proportionate.. It also has perfectly open quarters just the way I like them. I love the Tom Ford attached - I'd just like less suppression

Last edited:

Chris-ModaR

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Chris,

Your site looks good and I dig that you're offering a well-constructed suit at an affordable price.

As for what suit I would design:
Coat
I would go with a two button, single breasted suit with a soft and light construction -- natural shoulders -- with the following specs:
- light grey fabric (versatile and just a little bit casual)
- straight flap pockets
- notch lapels (3.5 inches so it matches your ties; personally dislike the trend of skinny lapels)
- mid-brown buttons
- double vents
- functional boutonniere
- functional sleeve buttons

Pants
- waist adjuster or 'waist tightener'; no belt loops
- flat front (no pleats)
- 2 inch cuff
- no break so the pants end just at your shoes

Overall it would look something like this:

For me a suit needs to be sharp enough to wear for work, but have a softness about it that lends itself to casual wear too. I think soft construction or Neapolitan style of tailoring allows for this. A light grey suit is versatile; it harmonises with most colours and can be dressed up or down quite easily. It is also quite forgiving against most skin tones.

I would wear the suit around the office, wear the jacket with jeans on the weekend or add a pocket square and lapel pin for a fancy event like a wedding.

Hi Kayhill,

Thanks for joining the competition! I love the reference photo you put and I agree with you that as I've learned more about suits and my passion for this item of clothing has grown, I really love the look of wide lapels over skinny. Skinny lapels definitely have their place in fashion and I think they look equally great on a suit that is tailored to match the style, but I love the way a wide lapel rolls on well made suit!

Cuffed pants are so rare nowadays but a tailor-made pair of cuffed trousers I feel, really adds to overall aesthetic of the suit.

robbersarb

Reaction score
As a student approaching his graduation I would love to have the perfect suit but being a traditional guy I like a 20s looking
When describing it to myself I suddenly realised that it did already exist in the wardrobe of one Bertram Wilberforce Wooster!
-Three piece suit
-Strong padded shoulders with a fitted cut
-Mid grey fabric
-2 button
-Wide peaked lapels falling just past the middle of the shoulder
-8 button double breasted waistcoat with peaked lapels
-English backed trousers, cut high for suspenders and with a cuff
But, as a picture says a thousand words:

The suit the man on the left is wearing
Regards,
Tom

kasakka

Reaction score
1. Specs

• Air Force Blue color
  • 3 piece
  • Peak lapel jacket (medium width lapel, gorge height so that it doesn't escape to the shoulders but doesn't sit too low on the chest either)
  • Shawl lapel vest
  • Somewhat structured shoulders
  • Single button jacket with a fairly low buttoning point
  • Four button vest, again with buttons set fairly low to show more tie
  • Jacket pockets with flaps, jetted pockets on vest
  • Trousers with belt loops
  • In general the suit would have a fairly slim fit as I'm in a reasonably athletic shape.

2. Pics

Concept art:

Color similar to ol' Tom here:

3. Use

This would be used as an everyday suit. I don't have a dress code at work but do like suits so I wear them for anything from work to evening out with friends. I also like my suits a bit out of the norm (no conservative business dress for me!) with more peacocky colors. The vest has a different lapel because at work I tend to take off my jacket so I think the shawl lapel would add some interest to an otherwise fairly simple vest.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’d like to get things rolling in this thread and get some discussion started by announcing a lucky draw that we’d like to offer to the members of Styleforum. We’d like to offer a half canvas suit for free to one lucky member and entry into the competition is simply posting your ideal suit on this thread. The deadline will be a little more than a month from now (Oct 31, 2013) and we’d also love to see the feedback users here will give other folks on their designs. As a sign of appreciation, we would like to provide some free shirts to the suit design our team decides is second best as well as a gift to users that are active in discussions on our affiliate thread.

The format for entering the competition should be:
1. Specifications of the suit such as the cutting, the type of shoulders (natural or more structured), color of the fabric, lapel width, how many buttons, pocket styles, etc.
2. A reference photo or two so the folks here can get an idea of what you’re thinking of
3. What occasion you have in mind for the suit, your own wedding? A friend’s wedding? Everyday work? Graduation? Prom? Starting a new job? A special event coming up? Let us know to get us excited for your suit!

So what happens after we pick the winner?

We’ll work with the winner to either let them choose from one of the suit fabrics that is already on our website (if it matches close enough to their ideal suit), or the winner can utilize our Find A Fabric service where we’ll help them find a fabric they like. Also if you win but you’re worried about measuring yourself you can use our virtual tailor service to video conference our team for measurement guidance.

Let's get this started and we look forward to seeing what people have in mind!
1. I'd want either natural or bald shoulders with a little drape. Notch lapels at 3.25 inches. Patch hip with welted breast. Two button. Brown horn or MoP depending on the weight, color, or weave of the fabric. And I'd definitely be looking for either a medium blue in a subtle weave (like herringbone or small scale houndstooth) or a slightly darker blue with a large scale windowpane in a brown to rust or even dark red. Flat front trouser, probably uncuffed, with side adjusters.

2. I have my staple suits for when I need to wear them, so when I want to wear them, I like to make sure that it's clear that I'm wearing the suit out of choice rather than necessity. For this reason, I'm trying to steer my suit wardrobe into a more casual direction. There isn't a particular look that I'm going after so much as a certain feeling I want to achieve. From the most recent two Friday Challenges:

3. I'd wear it when I feel like wearing it. I know it's not a great answer, but it's the truth. If I had to present a single factor that influences what I wear on any given tie, it's probably the tie. I find myself wanting to wear a certain tie and then I build around that. I suppose if I wanted this suit to get a lot of wear, I'd design it with my most frequently worn ties in mind
devil.gif

The suit the man on the left is wearing
Hugh Laurie. The man has earned the right to be called by his name. A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie was pure genius.
tounge.gif

Last edited:

Alex-ModaR

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Betelgeuse, please do participate in the competition! Moda Republic ships to over 40 countries worldwide for free and for the remaining ones that we don't have listed as a shipping destination you can ask us to add your country in (in some cases there may be a small surcharge but for the most part it will be for free).

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi Betelgeuse, please do participate in the competition! Moda Republic ships to over 40 countries worldwide for free and for the remaining ones that we don't have listed as a shipping destination you can ask us to add your country in (in some cases there may be a small surcharge but for the most part it will be for free).

Nice! I have something in mind (tomorrow I will use my new trousers for the first time, but not the style of jacket I would like) and I will post tomorow!

Thanks!

Chris-ModaR

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Chris,
I would love to design a conservative suit for business wear. I will add this to my regular rotation and wear it very frequently. I also wish for this suit to be wedding appropriate.
1. Specs:
  1. I have always wanted a Navy Glenn Plaid suit in a durable Worsted
  2. 2 Button
  3. Single Breasted
  4. I love love love structured shoulders like those on Brioni coats(Pagoda if you can do that for this contest)
  5. Slight roping
  6. mild-moderate amount of waist suppression
  7. Low buttoning point that is level with my navel - they segment my body better
  8. Clean chest
  9. 3.25-3.5" notch lapels that reach halfway between the collar and shoulder seam
  10. No pick stitching
  11. Shoulder-height lapel gorge
  12. Straight Lapels - No lapel belly
  13. Center vent
  14. Horn Buttons
  15. standard flap pockets(and standard height)
  16. Non-functioning cuffs
  17. Trousers with a long rise that settles near my navel
  18. Side tab adjusters(thus no belt loops)
  19. single pleat
  20. No pick stitching on pockets
  21. 1.75” turn ups
  22. half break
  23. Slightly fitted trousers - roomier than ones in pic(example would be 9" opening when laid flat with a slight taper)
  24. 2nd pair of trousers
2. Pics
A swatch of the fabric for the suit

HB-5621.jpg

A picture I've attached depicts the silhouette, shoulders(except Pagoda if possible) and gorge(a tiny bit lower though) that the suit would have. The suit would be longer, with a proportionately lower buttoning point. The Tuxedo you made has a great buttoning stance; I would lengthen the coat 1" on this suit to keep things a bit more proportionate.. It also has perfectly open quarters just the way I like them. I love the Tom Ford attached - I'd just like less suppression

Glenn Plaid is another favorite of mine. I appreciate how subtle the fabric is! I find it interesting you specifically listed that you don't want surgeon cuffs! I understand that a lot of people usually don't want surgeon cuffs on their first suit especially if it's being done over the internet, but is there another reason why you specifically requested no surgeon cuffs? Always good to learn more about other people's choices!

It is indeed interesting to see how everyone on StyleForum heavily favors a wider lapel!

Last edited:

Chris-ModaR

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
1. Specs
  • Air Force Blue color
  • 3 piece
  • Peak lapel jacket (medium width lapel, gorge height so that it doesn't escape to the shoulders but doesn't sit too low on the chest either)
  • Shawl lapel vest
  • Somewhat structured shoulders
  • Single button jacket with a fairly low buttoning point
  • Four button vest, again with buttons set fairly low to show more tie
  • Jacket pockets with flaps, jetted pockets on vest
  • Trousers with belt loops
  • In general the suit would have a fairly slim fit as I'm in a reasonably athletic shape.

2. Pics

Concept art:

Color similar to ol' Tom here:

3. Use

This would be used as an everyday suit. I don't have a dress code at work but do like suits so I wear them for anything from work to evening out with friends. I also like my suits a bit out of the norm (no conservative business dress for me!) with more peacocky colors. The vest has a different lapel because at work I tend to take off my jacket so I think the shawl lapel would add some interest to an otherwise fairly simple vest.
Hey Kassaka, this is definitely an interesting suit design, combining the peak lapel jacket with a shawl collar vest! That blue is definitely a peacocky type blue. I agree the shawl collar vest would be a unique detail to add to the overall outfit. What other unique suits have you made in the past, would love it if you could share some other designs that you have actually had made!

What is a medium lapel width to you? More details would be great. For the pants, cuff or no cuff?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads